ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 24 of 335
« First < 142021222324 252627283474124 > Last »
Media Center>Game of Thrones Thread
BigRedChief 08:29 PM 01-08-2015
Feel free to discuss any future speculation, theories. Anything from the books is fair game to post. Everything that has been broadcast on TV or from HBO. No spoilers needed.

1. If you watched or know the events that will take place in a unaired episode that has not been broadcast on HBO, you must put all the information and comments in a spoiler tag.
  2. Do not post any media of any kind involving actual content from unaired episodes without being in a spoiler. The only exception to the spoiler rule is content publicly posted from HBO and or the GOT actor themselves. Teasers, promos, trailers etc.

Any person unable to follow the spoiler rules will be banned from this thread. 14 days for first offense. Perm banned from the thread for a 2nd offense.

[Reply]
tomahawk kid 12:16 PM 05-21-2015
Originally Posted by Radar Chief:
Then this is good news since she obviously has every other problem in Missouri solved if she has time to fret over a ****ing TV show.
Exactly.
[Reply]
MagicHef 12:19 PM 05-21-2015

[Reply]
duncan_idaho 12:49 PM 05-21-2015
Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn:
Yep.

And IF Jon is going to come back to life in some capacity as most people believe, then they could easily do in the show what Martin did in the books with Lady Stoneheart.

They could kill Jon at the end of ep 9 and then have him "come back" as the final shot of ep 10 to create that same feeling of YES! and simultaneous WHAT THE ENTIRE ****? that book readers had.

Of course, they may not do anything like that. But they could and it could reinvest people who thought about leaving if/when they kill Jon.

If that makes sense.
And to take this thought pattern and run down the tracks with it...

It would make some sense IF this is the plan with Jon Snow - to have him revived with the Kiss of Life from a priest of the Red God ... though with Melisandre leaving with Stannis, it's tougher to see that happening, but maybe Thoros of Myr or Beric Donderrion shows up to do that?.

Much more impactful and much more of a big reveal to do that with Jon Snow than introducing it with Cat Stark.

I mean, think about it from the perspective of reading the book... I'm not shitting my pants about Snow because I'm confident the Red Woman is going to revive him or something. But if we had NOT seen Thoros of Myr reviving Donderrion and then Donderrion reviving Cat Stark... would I have that confidence? Nope. I wouldn't even have a clue.
[Reply]
DaFace 12:53 PM 05-21-2015
Originally Posted by Pestilence:
People will freak out.

Game of Thrones is kind of on it's own in the regard that it has this die hard fan base but it also has this fan base that knows nothing about the books. The good thing is that even if that the people who aren't die hards leave the show.....it'll still be able to survive just off the book readers.
I don't know that I'd agree with that. I'd bet less than half of show watchers have read the books.

That said, I'd be very surprised if they could do anything to actually turn off a majority of viewers for good unless they went through a LONG period with nothing good happening and all the bad stuff just starts seeming repetitive.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 01:28 PM 05-21-2015
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I don't know that I'd agree with that. I'd bet less than half of show watchers have read the books.

That said, I'd be very surprised if they could do anything to actually turn off a majority of viewers for good unless they went through a LONG period with nothing good happening and all the bad stuff just starts seeming repetitive.
I agree. We've come to expect bad things to happen.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 01:39 PM 05-21-2015
I wouldn't worry too much about a sizable loss of viewers. People have continued to watch The Walking Dead through some uber boring plot points.

The only major difference between the two that I could surmise is that HBO doesn't come standard with most cable providers. I have no doubts there are a ton of HBO subscribers that have it solely because of GoT. If the ship starts to sink they may cancel their service..
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 03:25 PM 05-21-2015
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
There's a weird split personality that's consuming a very vocal portion of the book reading fan base. /r/gameofthrones, /r/asoiaf and /r/freefolk are consumed with threads that both criticize how DD have left out several prominent storylines, (LSH, Jeyne, the Ironborn, Jaime, the Riverlands, Faegon, you name it), but at the same time are criticizing how rushed the storylines in this season feel (particularly Dorne and the Faith Militant).

As of this time, the show is balancing:

The Wall (With plots covering both Jon and Stannis)
Winterfell (With the plots covering both Brienne/Pod and Sansa/Ramsay)
Meereen
Braavos
Dorne (With the plots covering both the Sand Snakes - Jaime/Bronn - though now they're converged).
Valyria/Volantis
King's Landing (With subplots covering Littlefinger, the Tyrells, the Faith Militant, you name it)

To my count, that's 7 main plots with over 10 significant subplots. If the storylines are feeling rushed now, can anyone imagine what this season would feel like if they'd thrown in Ironborn or Faegon (or Bran) on top of everything else this season?

On top of that, everyone is now holding FOC and DWD (books that we're eviscerated by the fanbase for being bloated and expanding the plot out of the control) on an immaculate pedestal. Did the fanbase really expect the showrunners to devote entire seasons to Jaime and Brienne in the Riverlands?

I think it was always known that DD had an incredible task in front of them to create a coherent storyline from books 4 & 5, and in my opinion, they're doing a pretty impressive job.
But they have time to add storylines like just how incredibly gay Loras can be, and also add in a romance between a guy with no junk and a former slave girl. Brilliant.
[Reply]
MagicHef 03:51 PM 05-21-2015
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
But they have time to add storylines like just how incredibly gay Loras can be, and also add in a romance between a guy with no junk and a former slave girl. Brilliant.
Yeah, I feel like a lot of the angst about the show changes aren't so much about the fact that the show isn't sticking 100% to the books, but more about how awful the majority of the additions have been. (There have been good additions as well, they just seem to be outnumbered.)

-Loras being flamboyantly gay
-Yara (Asha) attacking the Dreadfort with Ironborn but running away as soon as she sees dogs
-Abandoning the Tysha storyline after including it for a little bit
-Jaime raping Cersei
-Tyrion's whitewashing
-Beetle monologue
-Magic fireball children
-Grey Worm and Missandei
-And of course:

[Reply]
ThaVirus 04:05 PM 05-21-2015
:-) That is fucking horrible.

Another thing I had a laugh at was when Hotah put his spear to Jaime's throat. I honestly think I could have written a 5-page research paper in the time it took him to move his spear 3 feet. I felt, if they truly wanted to paint this guy as a fierce warrior, they could have edited it better to make it appear like he was lightning quick.
[Reply]
Sorter 05:35 PM 05-21-2015
http://i.imgur.com/HY4Qsgy.gifv

vs.

http://i.imgur.com/sWjEciC.gifv

:-)

[Reply]
Chiefspants 08:55 PM 05-21-2015
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
Yeah. Don't care for the show's characterization of Loras, but that was clearly done to give the Faith Militant a reason to lock up Margaery.

I don't believe Grey Worm's romance is as awful as everyone makes it out to be. While it can be a bit Nicholas Sparksy, it's capturing that by freeing the unsullied from their slavery, Dany all but removed what made them the most fearless soldiers in GRRM's universe. Humanizing the Unsullied changed it from a group who had nothing to lose, to a group that could lose everything.
[Reply]
DaFace 09:15 PM 05-21-2015
Others seem to agree with you on Loras.

[Reply]
Hawk 08:01 AM 05-22-2015
Originally Posted by MagicHef:
Awesome! This one was pretty funny too. Emilia Clarke as a Rastafarian Targaryan:

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/clarke-sin...095959907.html
[Reply]
Hawk 08:14 AM 05-22-2015
Originally Posted by MagicHef:
Yeah, I feel like a lot of the angst about the show changes aren't so much about the fact that the show isn't sticking 100% to the books, but more about how awful the majority of the additions have been. (There have been good additions as well, they just seem to be outnumbered.)

-Loras being flamboyantly gay
-Yara (Asha) attacking the Dreadfort with Ironborn but running away as soon as she sees dogs
-Abandoning the Tysha storyline after including it for a little bit
-Jaime raping Cersei
-Tyrion's whitewashing
-Beetle monologue
-Magic fireball children
-Grey Worm and Missandei
-And of course:
The deviations from the book have not all been great, but let's not pretend that they have all sucked either. A few deviations that I have liked:

- Brienne vs the Hound tops this list. That was an awesome fight!
- Arya and Tywin at Harrenhall. Loved those scenes
- Margery Tyrell and Lady Olenna. Both characters are far better on the show.
- Khal Drogo. Was never a fan of him in book, but loved him on the show.
- Bronn. Much better on show than in books
- Cutting out ironborn. Sorry, but those chapters bored me. Does anybody care about the Damphair or whatever his name is?
- Simplifying Mereen. Book Mereen is just not very enjoyable with too many weirdly named characters to keep track of. Show mereen isnt great, but its better than the books.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 08:18 AM 05-22-2015
Sooo awesome.

[Reply]
Page 24 of 335
« First < 142021222324 252627283474124 > Last »
Up