ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 15
« First < 34567 891011 > Last »
Media Center>Syfy: The Expanse
keg in kc 03:30 PM 04-14-2014
I'm really excited about this - it's a fantastic set of books that I think could translate into really good TV.

Originally Posted by :
Syfy orders 'The Expanse' series based on 'Leviathan Wakes' (think 'Game of Thrones' in space)

By James Hibberd on Apr 11, 2014 at 6:30PM

Syfy has given a direct-to-series order to an exciting-sounding new project based on an acclaimed sci-fi book series. The cable network has ordered 10 episodes of The Expanse, from Academy Award-nominated screenwriting duo Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby (Children of Men, Iron Man) and Alcon Television Group. The project has been described by industry insiders as “Game of Thrones in space” — not so much because of the specifics of the plot, but because it tells a dramatic sprawling grown-up story within a popular fantasy genre that’s based on a respected series of novels.

The logline: “A thriller set two hundred years in the future, The Expanse follows the case of a missing young woman who brings a hardened detective and a rogue ship’s captain together in a race across the solar system to expose the greatest conspiracy in human history.”

The Expanse is based on a series of books by James S.A. Corey. The most well-known title is probably the first in the series, Leviathan Wakes, which has been praised for reinventing and updating the old-school Star Wars/Firefly-style space opera. Syfy won a bidding war with another content producer to acquire the project.

Syfy president Dave Howe promised, “The Expanse is epic in scale and scope and promises to be Syfy’s most ambitious series to date. Bringing this coveted book franchise to television with our partners at Alcon and the Sean Daniel Company is a giant win for Syfy, reinforcing our overall strategy to produce bold, provocative and compelling sci-fi fantasy stories. The Expanse joins a killer line-up of high-concept, high quality series, along with recently announced original projects Ascension, 12 Monkeys, the renewal of Helix, and the soon to premiere Dominion.”

Sean Daniel and Jason Brown of the Sean Daniel Company developed the original pitch, with Fergus and Ostby, and will also executive produce. “The Expanse is one of the most special pieces of material we’ve ever encountered and it has been our dream to bring it to life since the moment we read it,” Daniel and Brown said in a statement. “We couldn’t be more excited to be doing it with this team of all-stars.”

Added Alcon president Sharon Hall: “The Expanse is an addictive, sophisticated, character-driven franchise and Mark and Hawk are the perfect people to steer it. Their script is a totally immersive and accessible sci-fi journey.”
(Just FYI, the author of Leviathan Wakes, James S.A. Corey, is actually a collaberative pseudonym of authors Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck. I guess EW didn't know this...)
[Reply]
cookster50 09:54 AM 03-07-2017
I'm really enjoying this season. Way better than season 1.
[Reply]
keg in kc 05:03 PM 03-16-2017
Renewed for 13 episodes in 2018!

(still 5 to go this year)
[Reply]
RealSNR 06:36 PM 03-16-2017
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
Renewed for 13 episodes in 2018!

(still 5 to go this year)
Thank God. I was worried there for a second when ratings looked kinda iffy
[Reply]
NewChief 09:05 PM 04-12-2017
This show... it's like a serialized novel. It's so damned good, but I almost need a little time to digest between episodes. The visuals can be truly stunning though. The blood snowflakes on Ganymede. The scene with Miller on Eros when he gives in to the protomolecule. The show is definitely a slow burn, but damn it's good. I think it will be recognized posthumously as a great show. I just hope it gets to see it's way to the end.
[Reply]
Fansy the Famous Bard 12:40 PM 04-13-2017
Originally Posted by NewChief:
This show... it's like a serialized novel. It's so damned good, but I almost need a little time to digest between episodes. The visuals can be truly stunning though. The blood snowflakes on Ganymede. The scene with Miller on Eros when he gives in to the protomolecule. The show is definitely a slow burn, but damn it's good. I think it will be recognized posthumously as a great show. I just hope it gets to see it's way to the end.
Agree with all this.
[Reply]
bowener 01:02 PM 04-13-2017
If I were a wealthy man, I wouldn't be wealthy long. I would fund this show if it were to be cancelled. I love it that much.
[Reply]
keg in kc 03:10 PM 04-13-2017
It's amazing how little actually happens this season, but how engaging the show still is. It does small moments better than anything I can remember. Naomi's whole bit on saving 52 last night was just great. And it's one of the first shows ever where I don't fast forward through the political bullshit. Shohreh Aghdashloo is just perfect in her role, especially now that she's spitting out "****"s left and right, like Avasarala does in the books.

I won't go into spoilers, since I don't know who's read the books, but next season should just be crazy good...

With some emphasis on "crazy".

RT had it at 77% fresh after last season, which is good. It's at 94% for season 2. Which reflects my own feelings on the show: it's really found its footing this year. There's a confidence to it that wasn't quite there yet last year, especially early on. It's just nails now.
[Reply]
Fansy the Famous Bard 05:23 PM 04-14-2017
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
It's amazing how little actually happens this season, but how engaging the show still is. It does small moments better than anything I can remember. Naomi's whole bit on saving 52 last night was just great. And it's one of the first shows ever where I don't fast forward through the political bullshit. Shohreh Aghdashloo is just perfect in her role, especially now that she's spitting out "****"s left and right, like Avasarala does in the books.

I won't go into spoilers, since I don't know who's read the books, but next season should just be crazy good...

With some emphasis on "crazy".

RT had it at 77% fresh after last season, which is good. It's at 94% for season 2. Which reflects my own feelings on the show: it's really found its footing this year. There's a confidence to it that wasn't quite there yet last year, especially early on. It's just nails now.
Yep, this is one of the best shows on a non-premium channel (non-HBO, Cinemax, etc) that has ever aired, IMO.
[Reply]
Lzen 09:05 AM 04-15-2017
I started watching this show last season based on recommendations here. I had never heard of it prior to that. It did take me a bit to get into it because it seemed kind of chaotic at first. I'm glad I stuck with it, though, as it's now one of my favorite shows. The character development has been very well done and I think that has been just as important as the story.
[Reply]
RealSNR 09:31 PM 04-19-2017
This fucking show. Holy shit it's so fucking good.

I read Leviathan Wakes, but didn't read the other books. Then I heard SyFy was going to turn this into a TV series. I just figured I'd get the story through the TV series.

But damn, I don't want to wait for 2018. People who have read all the books... do you think I should crack open Caliban's War and read on? Or would you probably recommend just waiting until the end?
[Reply]
NewChief 12:07 PM 04-22-2017
Good grief. The Ganymede evacuation scene toward end of "The Monster and the Rocket" had me teary eyed when the belters had to choose their 52 and the one guy gave Naomi his spot.
[Reply]
keg in kc 05:36 PM 04-22-2017
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
This ****ing show. Holy shit it's so ****ing good.

I read Leviathan Wakes, but didn't read the other books. Then I heard SyFy was going to turn this into a TV series. I just figured I'd get the story through the TV series.

But damn, I don't want to wait for 2018. People who have read all the books... do you think I should crack open Caliban's War and read on? Or would you probably recommend just waiting until the end?
If you're worried about spoiling anything new, then I wouldn't. Just going off memory, I'd say there's maybe half of Caliban's War left to cover on TV.
[Reply]
Frazod 04:15 PM 05-31-2017
Finished watching Season 2 last night. God I love this show.

I'm really torn now as to whether I should read the books or not. While I want to know what's going to happen, I'd hate to ruin the show by knowing in advance what's going to happen, like most of GoT.

Dammit.

:-)
[Reply]
unlurking 07:18 PM 05-31-2017
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Finished watching Season 2 last night. God I love this show.

I'm really torn now as to whether I should read the books or not. While I want to know what's going to happen, I'd hate to ruin the show by knowing in advance what's going to happen, like most of GoT.

Dammit.

:-)
These guys write MUCH faster than GRRM. Read the books. The first three were excellent. I still need to read the next few.

EDIT:

Want to see how much NOT like GRRM these guys are? Check out the dates on each book.

Leviathan Wakes (June 15, 2011)
Caliban's War (June 26, 2012)
Abaddon's Gate (June 4, 2013)
Cibola Burn, (June 5, 2014)
Nemesis Games (June 2, 2015)
Babylon's Ashes (December 6, 2016)

Fuck GRRM for poisoning people's minds against picking up a new series.
[Reply]
unlurking 07:20 PM 05-31-2017
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
This fucking show. Holy shit it's so fucking good.

I read Leviathan Wakes, but didn't read the other books. Then I heard SyFy was going to turn this into a TV series. I just figured I'd get the story through the TV series.

But damn, I don't want to wait for 2018. People who have read all the books... do you think I should crack open Caliban's War and read on? Or would you probably recommend just waiting until the end?
Yes. Most definitely. I plan on rereading the first 3 and finally finishing the series this fall.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 15
« First < 34567 891011 > Last »
Up