ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 237 of 319
« First < 137187227233234235236237 238239240241247287 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Veach's '21 Offseason Plan to Keep Us Thriving: Let's speculate
Dante84 10:03 AM 02-08-2021
In order to prevent us wasting precious years of Patrick Mahomes' career, Veach needs to work some magic this offseason. What's your advice for him?
[Reply]
ForeverIowan 03:29 PM 03-17-2021
People are OVERREACTING!

Kansas City last year 1.) Rolled to a 14-1 regular season record 2.) Would have blown the doors off the Browns in divisional round playoff game if not for a freak injury to Mahomes 3.) Did absolutely blow the doors off the Bills in the conference championship game with a hobbled Mahomes.

All of that with our starting right tackle (Schwartz) and starting left guard (Osemele) injured and another two potential starters (LDT and Niang) opted out. Everyone step away from the freaking cliff. Its never as bad or as good as it seems.

We ran into a freaking buzz saw in the SB against a defense who was out for blood and revenge after being embarassed in the regular season. We had a SECOND STRING offensive line and our all world QB playing on one foot. That many injuries and opt outs would have WRECKED any offensive line unit in the league. Add one more piece through free agency and another piece or two in the draft and our offensive line will be just fine.
[Reply]
ModSocks 03:29 PM 03-17-2021
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
I get it but I also realize this is literally three days into the offseason.
That doesn't change what's available.

It's simply a matter of not enough quality guys available with out making a huge move to acquire someone on a team, or moving up in the draft.

Veach will have to make a big move somewhere because there simply aren't any cornerstone type linemen in FA this year.

Either that or we're gonna be reading a whole lotta fluff pieces in the offseason and hoping Reid works some magic with some relatively weak options.
[Reply]
The Franchise 03:30 PM 03-17-2021
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
That doesn't change what's available.

It's simply a matter of not enough quality guys available with out making a huge move to acquire someone on a team, or moving up in the draft.

Veach will have to make a big move somewhere because there simply aren't any cornerstone type linemen in FA this year.

Either that or we're gonna be reading a whole lotta fluff pieces in the offseason and hoping Reid works some magic with some relatively weak options.
How many teams out there have cornerstones along their offensive line?
[Reply]
staylor26 03:30 PM 03-17-2021
The SB really did completely distort many people’s perceptions of the 2020 OL overall.

We coasted to the SB with well below average IOL play and slightly above average T play.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 03:32 PM 03-17-2021
That's because Allegretti doesn't belong in the conversation.

As of the time of this post the Chiefs have one quality lineman and one guy with potential that hasn't played ball in two years. We have another guard that, prior to this offseason, Chiefs fans thought was one of the weakest links on the line and wanted him gone, and the best guy left on the table is a lateral move at best.

Sorry, but that doesn't induce any warm and fuzzies.

Veach is going to have to pull a walrus out of a hat. He can do it, but you should be able to understand why there's skepticism.
As I was saying earlier...

What do you think they cleared all that cap room for?

They didn't jump in on a DE Day 1 as all the best guys went. They still went ahead and officially cleared it EVEN AFTER Trent Williams agreed to stay in San Francisco.

They're going to do something with the OL. Some combination of FA, trade, and draft.

People really think a front office that works through as many scenarios and backup plans as this one does is just going to make the moves it did and then count on getting ONE player?

No. Way.
[Reply]
ModSocks 03:33 PM 03-17-2021
Originally Posted by ForeverIowan:
People are OVERREACTING!
Lol, no one is over reacting. WTH are you talking about. We're discussing the current situation.

Just because a take isn't all sunshine and rainbows doesnt mean it's over reacting either.

Im well aware our GM makes big moves. Im well aware there's a ton of time left.

What im saying is, there will NEED to be a big move, otherwise, yeah, on paper our 2021 Oline will be rather pedestrian considering the obvious options that remain.
[Reply]
O.city 03:35 PM 03-17-2021
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
As I was saying earlier...

What do you think they cleared all that cap room for?

They didn't jump in on a DE Day 1 as all the best guys went. They still went ahead and officially cleared it EVEN AFTER Trent Williams agreed to stay in San Francisco.

They're going to do something with the OL. Some combination of FA, trade, and draft.

People really think a front office that works through as many scenarios and backup plans as this one does is just going to make the moves it did and then count on getting ONE player?

No. Way.
Wouldn't it make sense that they cleared it for Williams?
[Reply]
ForeverIowan 03:36 PM 03-17-2021
Lol, no one is over reacting. WTH are you talking about. We're discussing the current situation.

Just because a take isn't all sunshine and rainbows doesnt mean it's over reacting either.

Im well aware our GM makes big moves. Im well aware there's a ton of time left.

What im saying is, there will NEED to be a big move, otherwise, yeah, on paper our 2021 Oline will be rather pedestrian considering the obvious options that remain.
We cruised to the Super Bowl with multiple starting lineman injured and two others opted out. Yeah dude you are freaking overreacting!
[Reply]
O.city 03:36 PM 03-17-2021
One starter on the OL will come from the draft. I'd imagine it's the C.

They were on Williams at LT. I dunno what else there is out there thats gonna take up much money. I'd rather take the money and go for depth vets everywhere anyway at this point.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 03:37 PM 03-17-2021
I'm not worried.

I'm anxious, to see what Veach is going to do.

I have NO doubt he's got several contingency plans in place, and trust his judgement.

There are many ways you could go and still have an improved line from last season. There is ZERO chance it won't be better than what we trotted out in the SB.
[Reply]
ModSocks 03:37 PM 03-17-2021
Originally Posted by staylor26:

We coasted to the SB with well below average IOL play and slightly above average T play.
And Veach blew the damn thing up because below average IOL and slightly above average T play did in fact cause issues.

Veach has a lot of work to do with not much resources (in terms of quality bodies) to do it with.
[Reply]
ModSocks 03:38 PM 03-17-2021
Originally Posted by ForeverIowan:
We cruised to the Super Bowl with multiple starting lineman injured and two others opted out. Yeah dude you are freaking overreacting!
Shut up.
[Reply]
ModSocks 03:40 PM 03-17-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
There is ZERO chance it won't be better than what we trotted out in the SB.
Ok, lol, well sure. I'd fucking hope so.

There are probably 31 other teams with better OL's than what we had in the SB.

The SB isn't even a point of conversation. That atrocity is a rarity.
[Reply]
The Franchise 03:40 PM 03-17-2021
And Veach blew the damn thing up because below average IOL and slightly above average T play did in fact cause issues.

Veach has a lot of work to do with not much resources (in terms of quality bodies) to do it with.
Slightly above average play at LT. We didn’t have shit after Schwartz except Reiter and he was serviceable.
[Reply]
ForeverIowan 03:41 PM 03-17-2021
Right now we're staring at Riley Reiff or trading up for a rookie tackle.

Neither of those are ideal. Some want to call Reiff a wash vs Fisher. Im not sure that's true.

I get it, Niang gave Bosa and Young all they could handle.

But no one outside of KC is going to be impressed with Reiff and Niang at tackle.

So yeah, we can buy Mahomes a new toy (they're doing that one way or another regardless), but hopefully Veach has a great Plan B that we haven't dreamed up yet to get some protection.

With Veach things can change at a moment's notice, but at THIS moment, as of the timing of THIS post, the options for Oline look bleak.
No one outside of KC will be impressed with Reiff and Niang as tackles? Who fucking cares! We just signed an elite guard and have arguably the best QB, WR and TE in the league. Sorry Veach can't put all pros at every single position for ya!

Shut up!
[Reply]
Page 237 of 319
« First < 137187227233234235236237 238239240241247287 > Last »
Up