ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 6
1 2345 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Lawyer for family of girl injured in pre-Super Bowl crash speaks out
Sassy Squatch 08:02 AM 03-02-2021
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/lawyer-fam...123300180.html

The family attorney for a 5-year-old girl involved in a devastating three-car crash last month is speaking out for the first time.

In an exclusive interview with “Good Morning America,” Tom Porto, the family attorney of the Young family -- whose daughter, Ariel, 5, was injured after former Kansas City Chiefs assistant coach Britt Reid struck their vehicle -- is describing the severity of the wreck that nearly killed the five-year-old girl.

Ariel is still fighting for her life in a Kansas City, Missouri, hospital with a brain injury and unable to speak, according to Porto.

“This wasn’t a fender bender,” Porto told “Good Morning America.” “This was a serious life-altering event.”

Early last month, Reid -- who is also the son of Kansas City Chiefs head coach Andy Reid -- hit a car belonging to Ariel’s family. Her mom, aunt and 4-year-old cousin had pulled over to the side of a highway to help a 19-year-old family member whose car had run out of gas. According to police, Reid was driving at highway speeds when his pickup truck struck the first car.

Ariel, who was in the second car, suffered life-threatening injuries, while her 4-year-old cousin, who was also in the car, suffered non-life-threatening injuries. Both were transported to the hospital. The driver of the car Reid hit first and the two adults in the second car sustained non-life-threatening injuries.

“She’s awake, which is a huge development,” Porto said of Ariel. “She likely has permanent brain damage that she will endure for the rest of her life. She’s not walking -- it’s a sad, sad, sad story.”

In exclusive photos obtained by ABC News, Reid’s truck was totaled and the two cars that police say he ran into -- including Ariel’s backseat, in which she was sitting in the second row of her vehicle – was flattened and unrecognizable.

“When you look at those pictures, you wonder how anybody made it out of that car alive,” Porto said.

According to a search warrant application obtained by ABC News, an officer on-scene reported smelling “a moderate odor of alcoholic beverages emanating from [Reid].” Reid told the officer he’d had “2-3 drinks” and was on the prescription drug “Adderall.”

He was injured in the wreck and taken to the hospital with undisclosed injuries and did not join the Chiefs in Tampa for the Super Bowl.

The investigation is ongoing and no charges have yet been filed in the case.

“We’re going to be advocating for the most serious charges and the most serious sentence that Britt could ever receive,” Porto said. “We don’t have the toxicology back, I don’t know what it is going to be. What I do know are the statements that he made to police that night. If you have two or three drinks, and then you get behind the wheel of a car, you are likely over the legal limit.”
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 08:07 AM 03-02-2021

[Reply]
Sofa King 08:17 AM 03-02-2021
Damn. That's worse than I thought it was.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 08:22 AM 03-02-2021
Heartbreaking to hear. As a parent of two 5-year olds, it's scary AF and your heart just breaks. To see all the brightness, all the potential, wiped out. Just horrifying.

Porto is one of the best trial attorneys in the city. He will make sure the family assists the police effectively, too.

That's a good thing.
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 09:12 AM 03-02-2021
So, he hit them at highway speeds on a fucking onramp? Dude...what a turdburger...I hope and pray this little girl is OK. Sounds like Reid is going to jail. Even if he wasn't drunk or otherwise impaired, looks like reckless driving at least.

I'm not one to jump to conclusions, especially given the amount of BS in the media, so I guess I'll reserve judgement for now...but it sure looks bad.
[Reply]
The Franchise 09:15 AM 03-02-2021
Hope that piece of shit gets the max sentence.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:16 AM 03-02-2021
Just glad he's not part of the team anymore. Not going to say anything definitive one way or another until he's prosecuted but it sure sounds like the guy should be in prison after this.
[Reply]
PHOG 09:18 AM 03-02-2021
:-)
[Reply]
KCChiefsFan88 09:33 AM 03-02-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Just glad he's not part of the team anymore. Not going to say anything definitive one way or another until he's prosecuted but it sure sounds like the guy should be in prison after this.
And he should have never been employed by the Chiefs in the first place.

He should be glad for the Chiefs generous/selective nepotism policy because there is no way he would have been employed with his considerable previous criminal background... even before this incident.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:34 AM 03-02-2021
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
And he should have never been employed by the Chiefs in the first place.

He should be glad for the Chiefs generous/selective nepotism policy because there is no way he would have been employed with his considerable previous criminal background... even before this incident.
You're probably right.
[Reply]
DJJasonp 09:44 AM 03-02-2021
I havent followed this story super closely, but did the broken-down car have hazards on, etc.?

Point i'm getting at - this might have happened with a sober driver, let alone an impaired one.

Lots of good lessons to learn here.
[Reply]
morphius 09:45 AM 03-02-2021
Originally Posted by InChiefsHeaven:
So, he hit them at highway speeds on a ****ing onramp? Dude...what a turdburger...I hope and pray this little girl is OK. Sounds like Reid is going to jail. Even if he wasn't drunk or otherwise impaired, looks like reckless driving at least.

I'm not one to jump to conclusions, especially given the amount of BS in the media, so I guess I'll reserve judgement for now...but it sure looks bad.
Isn't the idea of an onramp to get up to highway speeds?
[Reply]
ModSocks 09:51 AM 03-02-2021
Originally Posted by DJJasonp:
I havent followed this story super closely, but did the broken-down car have hazards on, etc.?

Point i'm getting at - this might have happened with a sober driver, let alone an impaired one.

Lots of good lessons to learn here.
Agreed, though maybe bad timing for a discussion. I had a friend who lost a son in a similar way.

I was always taught that if you're broke down on the side of the freeway, you get out of the car and you wait on the embankment or somewhere off the road. You never stay in the car as these sorts of accidents are more common than you think. And yes, i do practice this as inconvenient as it may be.

Every time i read this heartbreaking story that lesson pops in my head. Those people never should've been sitting in those cars. They were sitting ducks.

Though i'll admit based on what i've seen with the freezing temps and specific location of where this occurred, i understand why they chose to remain in the vehicles.
[Reply]
R Clark 09:56 AM 03-02-2021
It’s worded where you could read anything into it quite possible he was driving posted speed for the ramp.ramp is part of the highway? Not defending him just saying that lawyer didn’t come out and say how fast he was going.
[Reply]
fan4ever 09:56 AM 03-02-2021
One of my sons has severe cerebral palsy. Can't speak, walk, or even eat...gets his nutrition via feeding tube. He had birth trauma and this is the only life he's known. He's happy for the most part but requires total care including wearing diapers...and turning 24 next month. One of the things I've taken solace in over the years is that this is the only life he's ever known. I feel for this family especially because this little girl knew a better life and that only adds to the sadness of this event. God bless this family.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 6
1 2345 > Last »
Up