ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2446 of 3903
« First < 1446194623462396243624422443244424452446 244724482449245024562496254629463446 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
O.city 10:24 AM 06-27-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
The 18 to 44 demographic has always had the highest number of cases.
Not to this extent. It’s also highly lowered in the amount of the elderly.

The south and southwest has much more vitamin d as well so hopefully that is helping
[Reply]
Monticore 10:28 AM 06-27-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Couple things I’m curious about in regards to hospitalizations as well. Everyone going in for anything gets tested now. So if I’m in for an appendix problem and i test positive I’m now a Covid pt even if I’m Asymptomatic for it.

So how is this being documented?
I assume you test positive you are considered a COVID patient for hospital purposes and treated/isolated like 1 as like any other infectious disease, i am not sure if it is counted as a COVID hospitalization by the health unit, I would assume so though.

If you have an appendicitis you probably would symptoms that are similar to COVID ones though .
[Reply]
petegz28 10:30 AM 06-27-2020
Couple things I’m curious about in regards to hospitalizations as well. Everyone going in for anything gets tested now. So if I’m in for an appendix problem and i test positive I’m now a Covid pt even if I’m Asymptomatic for it.

So how is this being documented?
I brought this up last week. You will be hospitalized with covid but not because of covid. Confusing it can be from a reporting perspective.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 10:34 AM 06-27-2020
Here it is
It's hard to draw a lot of conclusions to that due to confounding factors, here is why:

1) The drug most commonly used for PrEP is Truvada, which is TDF/FTC. Those who use PrEP will skew younger. Do we have data on patients taking Truvada for PrEP vs. patients taking Truvada for control of HIV? It seems like that would be worth looking at.

The cohort is also very small, but why is it small? Is the drug helping?

Additionally, TAF is still tenofovir, it's just a different salt form, and is available with FTC in a formulation called Descovy. I'm not sure as to who would receive TAF vs. TDF in Spain, but in the US, TAF is preferred in general due less renal toxicity and fewer issues with bone mineral density. However, TDF is used far more often (and is also coming off patent soon). Is there an unknown HIV-negative cohort taking Truvada that has substantially lower risk for COVID that isn't demonstrated in this trial? We don't know. It might be that patients receiving TAF have lower renal function and are older (with a concurrently increased chance for comorbidities), and that might be the true reason for the morbidity/mortality difference. I didn't see that they controlled for that, but I may have overlooked it in haste. There might be an unknown benefit to TDF that we have not yet discovered.

2) What is the underlying control of disease for these patients? It's hard to draw conclusions without knowing their T-cell levels and viral loads, especially since HIV leads to many inflammatory issues.

For what it's worth, tenofovir is used in other diseases beyond HIV (Hep B).

I wouldn't rush out to start giving this to people prophylactically, especially since there will already be large cohorts of men in (mostly) major US cities taking Truvada, which will be disclosed on any medication history upon admission to the hospital (should they require it for COVID).
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 10:35 AM 06-27-2020
Not to this extent. It’s also highly lowered in the amount of the elderly.

The south and southwest has much more vitamin d as well so hopefully that is helping
https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/show...ostcount=36239
[Reply]
Monticore 10:38 AM 06-27-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
I brought this up last week. You will be hospitalized with covid but not because of covid. Confusing it can be from a reporting perspective.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I am not sure if there are enough of those cases to make a big difference in the overall picture .
[Reply]
Donger 10:47 AM 06-27-2020
MIAMI, FL — Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Gimenez announced late Friday night he plans to shut down Miami-area beaches during the upcoming July 4 holiday weekend and possibly longer in response to the recent surge in coronavirus cases.

"After consulting with our county's public health experts, I will be signing an emergency order on Saturday to close all beaches in Miami-Dade County starting Friday, July 3, and ending Tuesday, July 7," the mayor said in a statement released Friday night.
[Reply]
O.city 11:13 AM 06-27-2020
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/show...ostcount=36239
Definitely a lot of interesting stuff on vitamin d
[Reply]
TLO 01:37 PM 06-27-2020
Unfortunately there seems to be so much conflicting information on quite literally every topic of discussion. I suppose this probably isn't all that surprising considering we've only had experience with the virus for a short time.
[Reply]
BWillie 01:42 PM 06-27-2020
Do you participate in spread eagling your asshole to the sun for at least 15 minutes a day?
[Reply]
keg in kc 02:14 PM 06-27-2020
Went to Walmart early this afternoon here in OP, and I was legit shocked how many people weren't wearing masks. It had been in the 75-80% range (est...) in masks the last few months, but it was well under 50% today, at a time when it was much more crowded than in the early morning, when I usually shop.

I bought more masks. This thing isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
[Reply]
Bugeater 02:38 PM 06-27-2020
Going into a Walmart without a mask seems like it would be a suicide mission. As I've mentioned before, wearing a mask into Walmart is probably a good idea even when there isn't a pandemic going on.
[Reply]
TLO 02:53 PM 06-27-2020
Something I've been pondering on today..

We've all seen that the CDC has claimed that for every case diagnosed, 10 are missed.

Doesn't that make case count numbers virtually irrelevant?
[Reply]
TLO 02:55 PM 06-27-2020
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
Going into a Walmart without a mask seems like it would be a suicide mission. As I've mentioned before, wearing a mask into Walmart is probably a good idea even when there isn't a pandemic going on.
Funny that you mention that. I'm surprised we haven't seen more high profile stories about retail stores having huge outbreaks.
[Reply]
O.city 03:05 PM 06-27-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
Funny that you mention that. I'm surprised we haven't seen more high profile stories about retail stores having huge outbreaks.
Eh it’s not prolonged time or exposure.
[Reply]
Page 2446 of 3903
« First < 1446194623462396243624422443244424452446 244724482449245024562496254629463446 > Last »
Up