ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2426 of 3903
« First < 1426192623262376241624222423242424252426 242724282429243024362476252629263426 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
TLO 10:23 AM 06-26-2020

[Reply]
Eleazar 10:27 AM 06-26-2020
Originally Posted by sedated:
Seriously, who gives a flying fk what caused it? That is just bringing politics into something that should not be, and should never have been, political.

Were people stupid for protesting in huge numbers? Yes. Were people stupid for going to bars and every other place like nothing was wrong? Yes. Is it stupid for people to proudly boast that they will absolutely not wear a mask because this is 'merica? Yes.

JFC stop pointing fingers and put on a mask. Its insane.
Exactly. I wouldn't know why masks would be a party-line issue except that this is 2020
[Reply]
Donger 10:39 AM 06-26-2020
Task force briefing is in progress.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 10:40 AM 06-26-2020
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
1. Bars could reopen on May 2nd in Texas yes with limited capacity.

2. People are arguing the protest had very little to do with the spike (lol)

3. Hospitalization trends can and are being skewed because they are testing people at hospitals now no matter the reason they are coming in. So while its smart to do so, if I go to hospital because I was in car wreck and I happen to have coronavirus its not the same as people being admitted BECAUSE of coronavirus.
Texas is less aggressively testing than most states. Stricter standards on labeling things as covid. And testing does not explain away ICU beds and hospital capacity. We're not going to attribute all that to overtesting in hospitals, are we?
[Reply]
KCUnited 10:42 AM 06-26-2020
We moved into phase 4 today despite large protests earlier this month and current ongoing smaller protests. I'd attribute it to a slow reopening along with stringent mask requirements as the key drivers. Plus it was likely a wash. The number of people out protesting could've been offset by more people staying home because a ton of businesses were closed for a variety of reasons.
[Reply]
tk13 10:44 AM 06-26-2020
The reality is these states opened up about the exact same time as the protests, which muddies the waters. We aren't ever really going to know the percentages because when the doctor asks if they've been in a large gathering all these people are going to say yes. But people still want to score political points.

What looks less debatable so far at least... the virus seems to spread more easily indoors than outdoors. That's not really surprising. Just look at the nursing homes, meat plants, parties, churches, funerals. Many of the big events here in America has been a result of people being stuck indoors for a long period of time with people breathing out the virus. Going to a bar or restaurant and spending a couple hours is probably a pretty high risk activity at this point.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 10:55 AM 06-26-2020
Understandable and sad at the same time

HBCU Morehouse College located in Atlanta, GA will not have a 2020 football season.

They will not compete in any fall sports due to COVID-19. pic.twitter.com/SSsBnz5ebs

— CFB Home (@CFBHome) June 26, 2020

[Reply]
ThaVirus 10:57 AM 06-26-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
The Florida Department of Health reported 8,942 new coronavirus cases, shattering the previous daily high for positive COVID-19 infections made just two days earlier.

The state also is shutting down on-site alcohol consumption at bars
, according to Florida Department of Business & Professional Regulation Secretary Halsey Beshears.
Shit. We can't say we didn't see this sort of thing on the horizon, but it's disheartening.

I read that Texas shut down elective surgeries a couple days ago as well.
[Reply]
Monticore 11:00 AM 06-26-2020
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
1. Bars could reopen on May 2nd in Texas yes with limited capacity.

2. People are arguing the protest had very little to do with the spike (lol)

3. Hospitalization trends can and are being skewed because they are testing people at hospitals now no matter the reason they are coming in. So while its smart to do so, if I go to hospital because I was in car wreck and I happen to have coronavirus its not the same as people being admitted BECAUSE of coronavirus.
That person could also be higher risk of developing pneumonia/clotting issues while in hospital because of COVID though.

Having COVID patients in Hospital whether it was their reason for admission is still bad for hospitals and hurts our chances of watching Mahomes throw touchdowns in the fall.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 11:00 AM 06-26-2020
Originally Posted by sedated:
Seriously, who gives a flying fk what caused it? That is just bringing politics into something that should not be, and should never have been, political.

Were people stupid for protesting in huge numbers? Yes. Were people stupid for going to bars and every other place like nothing was wrong? Yes. Is it stupid for people to proudly boast that they will absolutely not wear a mask because this is 'merica? Yes.

JFC stop pointing fingers and put on a mask. Its insane.

It does matter. Regardless of how much people complained or followed guidelines cases were trending down basically everywhere. In those months hospitals, restaurants, and countless other businesses suffered with loss of employment and hundreds of millions of dollars. This was done with the expectation it would end up at least being somewhat worth it and things could go back to normal once the virus was more understood and better under control. Instead for many places, it was now essentially worthless. Think of all these companies and businesses now having to close again and limit income. You don’t think it’s fair for them to be upset that their sacrifices were undermined by protests? What about all the hospital workers who had to deal with cuts and the dangers of dealing with those patients for months? Now they have to do it all over again? All the surgeries that got put off and now have to be put off again? It absolutely matters that thousands of scientists said it’s acceptable to and encouraged protests completely ignoring sacrifices to date of millions of people and what it would do to them in a month. Those scientists made it political did they not?

Everyone knows and knew that reopening to normal would lead to more cases. However, these were all under assumptions of starting from a point of control with beliefs that it wouldn’t balloon as if the virus just started. However, when hundreds of thousands of people are exposed at once, then going out into the community, the amount of infections is going to be beyond what was expected or could potentially be contained. We don’t know what percentage is due to protests but it’s obviously a large factor. One that people who made sacrifices for months are going to be hard pressed to ignore.
[Reply]
Monticore 11:02 AM 06-26-2020
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
Shit. We can't say we didn't see this sort of thing on the horizon, but it's disheartening.

I read that Texas shut down elective surgeries a couple days ago as well.
The crowd screaming for things to open definitely couldn't see it coming.
[Reply]
tk13 11:12 AM 06-26-2020
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
We don’t know what percentage is due to protests but it’s obviously a large factor. One that people who made sacrifices for months are going to be hard pressed to ignore.
We don't know this. This is pure conjecture. The governor of Georgia came out today and said this literally wasn't the case, there was no major spike from the protests there. The governor of Texas says it's being spread in his state by people in bars, and from prisons.

Personally, I agree that the protests were a high risk activity. And I'm sure there are cases coming out of that. But these protests happened at the same time these states are opening up, which muddies the waters terribly.

You should probably think long and hard about why you think a group of protestors grouped together and not distancing is more likely to spread the virus than groups of people sitting inside in bars that are doing the same thing.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 11:14 AM 06-26-2020
Originally Posted by tk13:
We don't know this. This is pure conjecture. The governor of Georgia came out today and said this literally wasn't the case, there was no major spike from the protests there. The governor of Texas says it's being spread in his state by people in bars, and from prisons.

Personally, I agree that the protests were a high risk activity. And I'm sure there are cases coming out of that. But these protests happened at the same time these states are opening up, which muddies the waters terribly.

You should probably think long and hard about why you think a group of protestors grouped together and not distancing is more likely to spread the virus than groups of people sitting inside in bars that are doing the same thing.

You should probably think long and hard about why you are making up things and claiming that I said them.
[Reply]
dirk digler 11:16 AM 06-26-2020
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
It does matter. Regardless of how much people complained or followed guidelines cases were trending down basically everywhere. In those months hospitals, restaurants, and countless other businesses suffered with loss of employment and hundreds of millions of dollars. This was done with the expectation it would end up at least being somewhat worth it and things could go back to normal once the virus was more understood and better under control. Instead for many places, it was now essentially worthless. Think of all these companies and businesses now having to close again and limit income. You don’t think it’s fair for them to be upset that their sacrifices were undermined by protests? What about all the hospital workers who had to deal with cuts and the dangers of dealing with those patients for months? Now they have to do it all over again? All the surgeries that got put off and now have to be put off again? It absolutely matters that thousands of scientists said it’s acceptable to and encouraged protests completely ignoring sacrifices to date of millions of people and what it would do to them in a month. Those scientists made it political did they not?

Everyone knows and knew that reopening to normal would lead to more cases. However, these were all under assumptions of starting from a point of control with beliefs that it wouldn’t balloon as if the virus just started. However, when hundreds of thousands of people are exposed at once, then going out into the community, the amount of infections is going to be beyond what was expected or could potentially be contained. We don’t know what percentage is due to protests but it’s obviously a large factor. One that people who made sacrifices for months are going to be hard pressed to ignore.
While protests undoubtedly had an impact I imagine it is a very small minority. Most of these are due to reopening and the fact that once people heard their state were opening back up they went back to normal routines with not wearing masks or social distancing.

For example here in MO, the biggest outbreak is in the southwest corner in the Joplin, OK, KS, AK area and that has nothing to do with protests. It has to do with people thinking this is all a hoax.
[Reply]
Monticore 11:18 AM 06-26-2020
Canada opened things later than most states and masks usage is not mandatory anywhere I don't think, only patios are opened for bars/restaurant for dining in, hairdressers opened last week. we also have stuck to 2m(6.5') distance requirement for businesses,

37m population we had 380 cases yesterday , I am worried the lack of mask usage will be an issue down the road though.
[Reply]
Page 2426 of 3903
« First < 1426192623262376241624222423242424252426 242724282429243024362476252629263426 > Last »
Up