ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 13
« First < 45678 9101112 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Notre Dame on fire
srvy 02:10 PM 04-15-2019
They just said inside the cathedral they used 52 acres of timber to build it. No wonder its still burning.
[Reply]
RedRaider56 02:36 PM 04-15-2019
This is heartbreaking to watch. I was fortunate to tour the cathedral about 9 years ago. Truly beautiful. Full of priceless art and religious relics including pieces of the cross at Christ's crucifixion and part of his crown of thorns.
[Reply]
Kiimo 02:42 PM 04-15-2019
My recommendation on "relics" is to read up on them before believing any one of their stories. Like, they were the magic elixir of the alchemists or the tonic of US 19th Century Medicine Shows.

Like literally every cathedral was buying relics to compete for pilgrimages. I'm way more concerned about the art than a piece of wood some road jester in 1500 was peddling for a huge profit.
[Reply]
Rain Man 02:47 PM 04-15-2019
Reports are that the north front tower is the one that is in danger of collapse and it sounds like they still don't have the fire under control.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/li...mark-live-news

The most senior firefighter in Paris says it is unclear whether they will be able to keep it from spreading and causing more destruction.

“We are not sure we are capable of stopping the spreading” to Notre Dame’s second tower and belfry,” said Jean-Claude Gallet at the scene as his crews worked outside and inside the iconic cathedral. “If it collapses, you can imagine how important the damage will be.”

[Reply]
RedRaider56 07:42 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi:
My recommendation on "relics" is to read up on them before believing any one of their stories. Like, they were the magic elixir of the alchemists or the tonic of US 19th Century Medicine Shows.

Like literally every cathedral was buying relics to compete for pilgrimages. I'm way more concerned about the art than a piece of wood some road jester in 1500 was peddling for a huge profit.
I certainly can agree with you on your perspective. Having been to Notre Dame Cathedral, St Peter's Basilica and the Vatican Museum, it seems that there are a tremendous number of these religious relics on display.

Some could be real, some as you say were sold by some road jester. It is still amazing to see the wealth in terms of priceless art and artifacts the Catholic church as amassed over the year.
[Reply]
Rain Man 07:56 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by RedRaider56:
I certainly can agree with you on your perspective. Having been to Notre Dame Cathedral, St Peter's Basilica and the Vatican Museum, it seems that there are a tremendous number of these religious relics on display.

Some could be real, some as you say were sold by some road jester. It is still amazing to see the wealth in terms of priceless art and artifacts the Catholic church as amassed over the year.
Yeah, I question a lot of those claims. There's too much value in faking stuff, and it would have been easy to do over the past 2,000 years.
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 08:00 PM 04-15-2019
There are enough pieces of the true cross to make like 5 crosses at least.
[Reply]
FAX 02:47 PM 04-15-2019
Most often, the term "relics" refers to pieces of bone that are the remains of saints. The middle finger of St. Lebowski is considered to be one of the most highly prized.

FAX
[Reply]
EPodolak 02:52 PM 04-15-2019
Was scolded for pulling out my camera and taking this picture, felt embarrassed at the time. Glad I did now.

[Reply]
Bwana 02:55 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by EPodolak:
Was scolded for pulling out my camera and taking this picture, felt embarrassed at the time. Glad I did now.

I was able to get some decent shots of the place when I was there. What a sad situation.
[Reply]
Rain Man 02:54 PM 04-15-2019
It looks like there's a big fire in the wing with the Rose Window now.

Edit: the South Rose Window. Evidently, there are three of them and the North one is the most famous. I don't see flames in that area.
[Reply]
DaFace 02:58 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
It looks like there's a big fire in the wing with the Rose Window now.
There's pretty much a big fire everywhere that isn't stone.

[Reply]
Rain Man 03:06 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by DaFace:
There's pretty much a big fire everywhere that isn't stone.

Well, that's not good. We pretty much know from that that the insides are gone. CNN is reporting that emergency crews are trying to save artwork at the back of the church.

The fire hoses are really concentrating on the south wing, based on what I'm seeing on the live cams. I'm not seeing concentration on the north tower and don't see as much smoke there as I did earlier, but maybe that's just the angle of the camera.
[Reply]
scho63 02:59 PM 04-15-2019
Probably one of those lazy French construction workers took a smoke break and tossed his match on to the roof by accident.

650 years down in flames
[Reply]
Kiimo 02:59 PM 04-15-2019
It uh, it might be doneso.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 13
« First < 45678 9101112 > Last »
Up