ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 19
« First < 45678 910111218 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chris Jones Agrees to 4-Year Contract Extension Ahead of Deadline
Shaid 11:37 AM 07-14-2020
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ad-of-deadline

While the deadline is approaching, the Kansas City Chiefs have agreed to a four-year contract extension with defensive tackle Chris Jones, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen.

Schefter noted the deal is worth $85 million with $60 million guaranteed.

The Chiefs placed the non-exclusive franchise tag on Jones in March, guaranteeing him $16.1 million for the upcoming season. He and Kansas City have until 4 p.m. ET Wednesday to finalize a long-term contract.
[Reply]
Chief Northman 01:43 PM 07-14-2020
Wow!

Such a great time to be a Chiefs fan.

I figured a new deal would have to feature well over 50% guaranteed money and the $60 million guaranteed was in the ballpark I expected, BUT...
I admit I didn’t think the Chiefs would offer that average annual salary - I figured a 5 year, $95 million deal with around $55 million guaranteed would do it. I was resigned to him playing on the tag this year.

Love the player - surprised this went the way it did with some of Jones “venting” recently about a possible holdout and being valued more elsewhere. Cooler heads obviously prevailed and I’m happy they did. Hopefully a motivated Jones dominates for years to come.
[Reply]
Rain Man 01:48 PM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE!:
Wasn’t that Ben Niemann who obliterated Jimmy G?
I think there were two consecutive plays where Jimmy got blown up, one by Hitchens and one by Niemann. If they weren't consecutive, they were close.

This tells me that I need to keep working on memorizing every play of SB LIV. I should know this.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:48 PM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Mathieu's playing style isn't about speed or size (obviously), his gift is unnatural football intelligence. Provided he stays healthy, his style of play should extend further than would be typical for his position(s). I would expect an extension.

Either Fisher or Schwartz would be my bet for the first key pieces to go.
My worry with guys like that is that they don't slowly erode, though.

The smartest player in the league still needs to be able to reach that threshold of 'premier' athleticism. And as they age, they get closer and closer to that threshold.

By his own admission, Mathieu's slowed over the last 2-3 years. The lower body injuries early in his career have had him aging a little fast than one would expect, IMO.

And as a very smart player, he can play around that with very little noticeable drop-off in his performance. Until....

My thought is that Mathieu won't age gracefully - he'll hit a !@#$ing wall. It'll go from him being an asset one season to a liability the next. And the Mahomes era is going to be one where we're going to have to be willing to walk away from a guy a year early rather than risk walking away a year late, IMO.

I think he'll be fine for age 28 and 29. But an extension is talking years 30-32 and I think there's a damn good chance that he crosses under that threshold of needed athleticism sometime in there. And when you're paying the best QB in football, those start to become risks you should try to avoid.

If that means walking away from Mathieu a year before he hits said wall, I think I'd do it.
[Reply]
loochy 01:50 PM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE!:
@Mathieu_Era how’s the real estate in KC. Asking for a friend
— Matthew Judon (@man_dammn) July 14, 2020

Buddy, you'd be nice but there's no money left
[Reply]
Chief Northman 01:53 PM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by loochy:
Buddy, you'd be nice but there's no money left
Christ, could you imagine?
Unfair.
[Reply]
Graystoke 01:54 PM 07-14-2020
PRINT EM!

Oh wait, the Printer is out of ink because we been PRINT EM! SO F"ING MUCH!
[Reply]
Bowser 01:59 PM 07-14-2020
And the rest of the AFC weeps
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 02:00 PM 07-14-2020
Meanwhile over in Denver they're playing hardball with one of the few players they could actually build around.
[Reply]
Stryker 02:04 PM 07-14-2020
Excellent news! Geaux Veach :-)

The Dynasty begins...
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 02:06 PM 07-14-2020

Stone Cold Jones!!! Lock em in!! Dawggone I love this squad!! @StoneColdJones LFG!!

— Travis Kelce (@tkelce) July 14, 2020

[Reply]
loochy 02:09 PM 07-14-2020
Hey, we get $8 million back next year from Eric Berry's stupid dead money expiring. That's a decent player by itself for free
[Reply]
MahiMike 02:09 PM 07-14-2020
WOOT!
[Reply]
Bowser 02:11 PM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Meanwhile over in Denver they're playing hardball with one of the few players they could actually build around.

[Reply]
eDave 02:16 PM 07-14-2020
Jesus Bowser. NSFW.

Reported.
[Reply]
JohnnyHammersticks 02:17 PM 07-14-2020
Every player in the NFL wants to be a part of the Chiefs organization right now.

Except Steven Nelson's punk ass. :-)
[Reply]
Page 8 of 19
« First < 45678 910111218 > Last »
Up