ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 7
< 1234 567 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Should I update my golf clubs??
TripleThreat 02:40 PM 07-12-2020
So I got into golf around a year ago. I would shoot around 130-140’s when I first started out.

Fast forward to today, I haven’t broken a 100 yet, but I tip toe between 100-110.

My clubs all together cost me around $300-$400 in a bundle package from amazon.

When I play with good golfer friends they have all the best drivers, putters and irons. They shoot around 80-90.

I’m curious how much improvement I will see in my game if I update my driver and maybe my 9, and a 3 wood... my putter will be last on my list since I’ve perfected a pretty good way of 2 putting every hole; and I feel reading the greens is far more important than having the best putter.

All in all I’d say I drive the ball around 220-250 with my current driver. (Bragging moment) I once hit a drive that went over 300 and landed on the green, people in front of us were staring at me to see if I would get the eagle lol.... so therefore I wonder, my driver is capable of hitting that distance, but that one shot will probably never happen again, it was a 1 in a million shot and I literally let it all loose into that swing. Any other time I’ve tried it, I lose complete control of the ball, so I stick to a balanced swing that gets me on the fairway in decent shape.

With that information should I upgrade a few clubs? Or should I wait till I can break 100 on a consistent basis and when I have the $$ get fitted for clubs instead?
[Reply]
DeepPurple 09:57 AM 07-14-2020
Putting, 3 putting to be exact is a place you can eliminate 3, 4 or even 5 strokes a round. Practice on a putting green is not the real world. They're usually flat and in many cases are nothing like the speed of the greens on the course you're ready to play. Real greens almost never give you a flat lie, and you're going uphill or down hill. The comments about lag putting and using a hoop as a aiming point is a great method. You'll eliminate those 3 putts a lot more when quit leaving yourself 4' to 6' to save par.

I've been playing since '62 and I've eliminated a lot of 3 putts by changing putters. I was using a putter used by most pros, a Scotty Cameron, a California Monterey to be exact. It's a $350 putter. This is what I saw when I looked down.

For Christmas I bought myself this putter. A Odyssey EXO Seven Mini S Putter with Stroke Lab Composite. It's lists for $250 but I got a new one for $180 on eBay from the Callaway store, they're make Odyssey putters. Just looking at the photos should tell you why it's easier to putt with this club.

[Reply]
Monticore 10:05 AM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
It’s not if you believe Dave Pelz’ Research which shows the biggest performance gaps between scratch and 30s are off the tee, and decrease with length all the way to the putter.

Everything in golf is the tee shot.
If you have a good short game you worry less about missing greens and fairways and ultimately you end up making better swings off the tee and fairway.

And aim small miss small, try and MAKE every putt if you aim for the hula hoop and miss you are even further away , for putting don't worry about distance your brain adjusts for that pick a line and commit don't worry if it goes in not.

But not all tips will work for everybody some have swing issues some have mental issues, some people shoot low with shitty swings and some people shoot bad with good swings.
[Reply]
Shoes 10:31 AM 07-14-2020
I'll echo what others have said- unless your clubs are comically old, you're wiser to invest your money on lessons.
[Reply]
O.city 10:34 AM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
It’s not if you believe Dave Pelz’ Research which shows the biggest performance gaps between scratch and 30s are off the tee, and decrease with length all the way to the putter.

Everything in golf is the tee shot.
Eh, not sure I buy it. I'll have to check it out.

I think the biggest issue isn't necessarily practicing putting but how you practice. I see way to many people on the putting green constantly hitting 15-20 foot putts. There's zero reason to practice that. Professional golfers don't make much percentage wise of those.

Practice inside 10 foot (I only do inside 5 foot) and lag putts. The rest isn't worth practicing so there probably is some validity to what you're saying.
[Reply]
crayzkirk 10:51 AM 07-14-2020
The old saying is you drive for show and putt for dough. However if you are driving the ball out of bounds or into the lake, you aren't going to putt for any dough. Once you get to a certain point where you are putting your tee shots into playable positions, working on getting up and down from around the greens will make the biggest difference.
[Reply]
Shields68 11:25 AM 07-14-2020
The key about clubs is that the shaft, weighting etc need to fit your swing.

If your just starting out, have some lessons. That may change how you hit the ball and what clubs will fit your swing. Besides the pro giving the lessons should be able to look at what you have and see if that is workable or if you need new clubs and idea of what you need.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 11:43 AM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Eh, not sure I buy it. I'll have to check it out.
Pelz has facilities in Vegas and Phoenix where he shot tracks thousands of shots monthly. He’s got good data, you should read it.

Pelz claims that shot data proves amateurs’ #1 mistake: not taking enough club. (1) we rarely sweet spot it, and (2) 90% of trouble with traps, creeks, false fronts are all located in front of the green not behind it.
[Reply]
scho63 11:47 AM 07-14-2020
Amateur golfers lose MOST of their strokes within 50 yards of the green. You're best bet is to improve your chipping and putting.

You can take off 10 shots or more off your score easily.

-How many times a round do you 3 putt or 4 putt?
-How many times a round do you chunk a chip shot or flub it?
-How many times does a chip shot not get within 7-10 feet of the hole?
-How many times do you leave a ball in the sandtrap on 1st or 2nd attempt?
-How many times do you miss the green from 50 yards or closer?

Answer these questions HONESTLY and you will have your answer. Take the total number of times and take 66-75% off. That's how much you can easily take off your score with practice.

The only thing that would change this would be if you are hitting 50% of your tee shots OB or dribbling them off the tee or just whiffing.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 12:02 PM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by crayzkirk:
The old saying is you drive for show and putt for dough. However if you are driving the ball out of bounds or into the lake, you aren't going to putt for any dough. Once you get to a certain point where you are putting your tee shots into playable positions, working on getting up and down from around the greens will make the biggest difference.
:-)
[Reply]
Megatron96 12:17 PM 07-14-2020
We just signed Mahomes for the next dozen years and Chris Jones for the next 4. You should buy the best damned clubs money can buy and get them in Chiefs colors!!! Rock out with your cock out, sir!!!
[Reply]
cooper barrett 12:27 PM 07-14-2020
Mahomes and golf are probably best not to be discussed in the same thread.

Originally Posted by Megatron96:
We just signed Mahomes for the next dozen years and Chris Jones for the next 4. You should buy the best damned clubs money can buy and get them in Chiefs colors!!! Rock out with your cock out, sir!!!

[Reply]
Great Expectations 12:28 PM 07-14-2020
I’d get something like this, then if/when you start breaking 90 I’d upgrade again.

https://www.tgw.com/golf-clubs/golf-...te-combo-irons

I’d buy this driver:

https://www.tgw.com/golf-clubs/golf-...ns-g400-driver

And this putter

https://www.tgw.com/golf-clubs/putte...k-v-line-puter
[Reply]
Megatron96 12:37 PM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by cooper barrett:
Mahomes and golf are probably best not to be discussed in the same thread.

Meh, he did that in front of a crowd and TV cameras. in my book that's better than average.
[Reply]
srvy 12:47 PM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Meh, he did that in front of a crowd and TV cameras. in my book that's better than average.
They didn't allow fans the noise came from around the 18th hole where boats docked up. But those scores aren't bad at all for a guy who admittedly hadn't played much because of covid.
[Reply]
Megatron96 12:53 PM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by srvy:
They didn't allow fans the noise came from around the 18th hole where boats docked up. But those scores aren't bad at all for a guy who admittedly hadn't played much because of covid.
Right, sorry forgot about the lack of an actual crowd of fans. Just thinking of the video I've seen; there appeared to be plenty of people watching.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 7
< 1234 567 >
Up