ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 7
< 123 4567 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Should I update my golf clubs??
TripleThreat 02:40 PM 07-12-2020
So I got into golf around a year ago. I would shoot around 130-140’s when I first started out.

Fast forward to today, I haven’t broken a 100 yet, but I tip toe between 100-110.

My clubs all together cost me around $300-$400 in a bundle package from amazon.

When I play with good golfer friends they have all the best drivers, putters and irons. They shoot around 80-90.

I’m curious how much improvement I will see in my game if I update my driver and maybe my 9, and a 3 wood... my putter will be last on my list since I’ve perfected a pretty good way of 2 putting every hole; and I feel reading the greens is far more important than having the best putter.

All in all I’d say I drive the ball around 220-250 with my current driver. (Bragging moment) I once hit a drive that went over 300 and landed on the green, people in front of us were staring at me to see if I would get the eagle lol.... so therefore I wonder, my driver is capable of hitting that distance, but that one shot will probably never happen again, it was a 1 in a million shot and I literally let it all loose into that swing. Any other time I’ve tried it, I lose complete control of the ball, so I stick to a balanced swing that gets me on the fairway in decent shape.

With that information should I upgrade a few clubs? Or should I wait till I can break 100 on a consistent basis and when I have the $$ get fitted for clubs instead?
[Reply]
Holladay 11:10 AM 07-13-2020
Originally Posted by :
My clubs all together cost me around $300-$400 in a bundle package from amazon
What are you playing with now? If it is a set of Walmart clubs, yes upgrade.

I got some clubs from Golf Smith. They aren't anything special and can score in the low 80's. I did buy some Ping woods 1-5. I found a zebra putter that I like. As I have gotten older, I replaced my irons with hybrids. I am doing well with them.

The real question comes down to the level of seriousness. I can get quite expensive with memberships, carts, clubs, green fees etc.

DeepPurple dropped some serious coin on his ride. Hats off to him. Golf is very important to him. (or just has a sh@t ton of money to blow:-) )

I am a leisure player. I have fun. No way will I invest heavily into it thou.
[Reply]
fan4ever 11:16 AM 07-13-2020
I just got new clubs for my 60th birthday. When I hit them RIGHT they fly WAY better than my old clubs...BUT...my older clubs were Big Bertha's with a bigger sweet spot and much more forgiving. I'm about a 13 handicapper SO...buy a decent set AFTER lessons.
[Reply]
tyecopeland 11:47 AM 07-13-2020
Originally Posted by ChiTown:
100% this. If you are firing between 100-110, you need to grab 2-3 lessons and have them give you some ideas of what you are doing wrong, and how to correct it. Once you’ve done that, get to the range and practice 2-3 times a week. When you get your scores in the low to mid-90’s, then you can decide if you want new clubs. At that point, you can start to work on whether you like the shaft stiff or more flexible, and get clubs designed to your stance and your swing.

Good luck, Triple Threat!
Of course he would. Who wouldn't?

And yes in my skimming over your post thats the only thing that caught my attention.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 04:27 PM 07-13-2020
Ability is more important than clubs.
[Reply]
Oxford 09:53 PM 07-13-2020
Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi:
The best golfer I know plays with 15 year old Clevelands. Not sure the clubs are going to make too much difference.
You want the clubs that fit what you need. For example I played PINGS for awhile, man I couldn't knock down a shot for anything but I never had problems with a 2 or 3 iron, or long rough. Then I switched to Titleists, I had better height control picked up some distance, but I lost a little of my 2 and 3 iron reliability. All in all it was a good move, but there was a compromise in there.
[Reply]
scho63 12:24 AM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
lessons more than clubs
Best answer to start

If you bought a decent lower brand that's OK. If you bought a set of Arnold Puller or Jack Nickleback clubs from Walmart or Kmart, you may to up it a little better.

You don't need a set of tour blades or $1,500 Mizuno's but a good quality driver that fits your swing, irons 4-pw, utility or rescue club, good wedge and a nice balanced putter that won't torque or bend every time you place it in your bag.

Also get decent golf balls, not top grade but no some rock hard driving range balls.
[Reply]
scho63 01:45 AM 07-14-2020
The one club you should definitely fix is your pudder. I hear it's too short, weak shaft and you never get it in the hole.
[Reply]
cooper barrett 02:03 AM 07-14-2020
People with boats want 2' more

Originally Posted by eDave:
He wants new clubs guys. Let's be encouraging.

[Reply]
cooper barrett 02:09 AM 07-14-2020
That's a big fish.

Where did you get your ruler?

Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
When I lived in North Carolina I'd golf every Saturday. I could drive the hell out of the ball. I once shot a 64 on 18 holes but that was my best day ever. I also used a 9 iron one time to tee off on a par 3 and landed 2 feet from the hole and got it in with 5 putts. LOL. The green was sloped so much that if you were above the hole and missed it the ball would travel to the other end of the green.

But Meh on the clubs, if you have natural coordination like I do you can use anything. If you don't then you'll just always suck.

Some good advice is to try jerking somebody's livestock for a few months before golf season. It builds your forearms and your eye hand coordination.

[Reply]
cooper barrett 02:53 AM 07-14-2020
Started playing with Tom Watson tour grind irons and Wilson persimmon woods with an epoxy insert that were given to me by a meat distributor who was given a new set when he retired.

I just hacked with my buddies, started going to driving range on College blvd with a guy named Doc Garcia (who hit a 9 wood he made) Then I bought a membership at Grand Summit when it opened and started taking group lessons at Martin City twice a week.

My instructor suggested a club upgrade and I told him I am paying to learn to hit these clubs. If I buy clubs then I can't afford him. The stronger my core became, the more consistant my game became, and the more powerful my swing became,I did outgrow my clubs.

As time went by, I bought a Titleist driver $500(long story), Cleveland wedges, and a nice putter.

I would borrow sets when traveling and found them much more forgiving. I eventually bought some Greg Norman King Colbra irons and wedges as a set. I actually wore the tour grinds and Cleveland's out.

My suggestion is to learn to hit what you have and invest in lessons and an unlimited golf membership. In 1998 it was $220 for membership (X12) and 6 months of lessons at $200 a month with unlimited driving range at both places.

When you and your instructor agree that your form and conditioning has gone as far as possible and then shop for clubs.

Go ahead and spend a grand and drop 5 strokes or spend a few grand and play at a higher level for life with any set of clubs.
[Reply]
oldman 08:18 AM 07-14-2020
If you have a good pro, they'll know of it's you clubs or your swing, stance, grip, etc. I can't play anymore, but I had a mixed set. I found I could hit my 1990 Ping 5 iron better than anything else the pro would put in my hands in 2010. But I did hit the Cleveland 9 better than my old Ping 9. Look around for a pro that's not afraid to sell you a broken set rather than one that's sponsored by a company.
[Reply]
Garcia Bronco 08:25 AM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by TripleThreat:
So I got into golf around a year ago. I would shoot around 130-140’s when I first started out.

Fast forward to today, I haven’t broken a 100 yet, but I tip toe between 100-110.

My clubs all together cost me around $300-$400 in a bundle package from amazon.

When I play with good golfer friends they have all the best drivers, putters and irons. They shoot around 80-90.

I’m curious how much improvement I will see in my game if I update my driver and maybe my 9, and a 3 wood... my putter will be last on my list since I’ve perfected a pretty good way of 2 putting every hole; and I feel reading the greens is far more important than having the best putter.

All in all I’d say I drive the ball around 220-250 with my current driver. (Bragging moment) I once hit a drive that went over 300 and landed on the green, people in front of us were staring at me to see if I would get the eagle lol.... so therefore I wonder, my driver is capable of hitting that distance, but that one shot will probably never happen again, it was a 1 in a million shot and I literally let it all loose into that swing. Any other time I’ve tried it, I lose complete control of the ball, so I stick to a balanced swing that gets me on the fairway in decent shape.

With that information should I upgrade a few clubs? Or should I wait till I can break 100 on a consistent basis and when I have the $$ get fitted for clubs instead?
I find that getting better clubs requires more precision. I play play with muscle back clubs (Mizuno MP-H4).

Do this...go get fitted for clubs and where your game is now if you want.

Practice

40 percent chip and pitch
40 percent putt
20 percent range

Take short game lessons. You are an amateur. You miss the green. To improve you need to learn how to properly execute shots around the green and you scores will improve if you do.

Take lessons

And remember taking lessons is a commitment to getting worse before you get better. It will be frustrating, but over time you will enjoy the game more.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 08:29 AM 07-14-2020
I’m a 3.7 handicap. Here’s my lessons learned:

1. You can’t improve your putting much. Don’t waste hours practicing it.
2. On long lag putts, imagine there’s a hula hoop or beach ball something large around the hole to aim generally for. It lessens the stress of getting it right.
3. The driver is the most important club. Your tee shot determines everything.
4. Chipping around the green: NEVER BREAK YOUR WRISTS. (Phil calls it “hinge and hold”. Lock your wrists all the way thru the swing and you can’t miss).
5. Stand close to the ball. When you bend over Your arms should rest straight to the ground - no reaching. (Reaching for the ball kills distance and accuracy both).

That’s all I got.
[Reply]
O.city 09:11 AM 07-14-2020
I'd spend more time on the putting green than the driving range Prison Bitch, putting is where it's at.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 09:55 AM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
I'd spend more time on the putting green than the driving range Prison Bitch, putting is where it's at.
It’s not if you believe Dave Pelz’ Research which shows the biggest performance gaps between scratch and 30s are off the tee, and decrease with length all the way to the putter.

Everything in golf is the tee shot.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 7
< 123 4567 >
Up