ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 7
1 2345 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Should I update my golf clubs??
TripleThreat 02:40 PM 07-12-2020
So I got into golf around a year ago. I would shoot around 130-140’s when I first started out.

Fast forward to today, I haven’t broken a 100 yet, but I tip toe between 100-110.

My clubs all together cost me around $300-$400 in a bundle package from amazon.

When I play with good golfer friends they have all the best drivers, putters and irons. They shoot around 80-90.

I’m curious how much improvement I will see in my game if I update my driver and maybe my 9, and a 3 wood... my putter will be last on my list since I’ve perfected a pretty good way of 2 putting every hole; and I feel reading the greens is far more important than having the best putter.

All in all I’d say I drive the ball around 220-250 with my current driver. (Bragging moment) I once hit a drive that went over 300 and landed on the green, people in front of us were staring at me to see if I would get the eagle lol.... so therefore I wonder, my driver is capable of hitting that distance, but that one shot will probably never happen again, it was a 1 in a million shot and I literally let it all loose into that swing. Any other time I’ve tried it, I lose complete control of the ball, so I stick to a balanced swing that gets me on the fairway in decent shape.

With that information should I upgrade a few clubs? Or should I wait till I can break 100 on a consistent basis and when I have the $$ get fitted for clubs instead?
[Reply]
eDave 02:42 PM 07-12-2020
"You are as good as your tools."

I find it to be true with guitar playing, and not just the guitar itself. Also, upgrades are motivating.

My $.02
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 02:54 PM 07-12-2020
Nah, take up a more interesting hobby
[Reply]
TripleThreat 03:28 PM 07-12-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
"You are as good as your tools."

I find it to be true with guitar playing, and not just the guitar itself. Also, upgrades are motivating.

My $.02
Yeah my friend who shoots around 85 was saying to make sure I get my game down first though. Saying that yes clubs will improve your game but no by much if you can’t play.. that was a long time ago he said that so maybe I’ll have to re ask him his opinion
[Reply]
eDave 03:33 PM 07-12-2020
Originally Posted by TripleThreat:
Yeah my friend who shoots around 85 was saying to make sure I get my game down first though. Saying that yes clubs will improve your game but no by much if you can’t play.. that was a long time ago he said that so maybe I’ll have to re ask him his opinion
I can dig that. Back to the guitar analogy, I just kinda got bored playing the same guitar after a while and almost just stopped because nothing was getting better anymore. Then I bought a Gibson and I was just "better" immediately for some reason and it went parabolic from there. To be fair, simply changing really old strings can have the same affect (or a different effect for that matter).

What I'm jivin' is you will know when, sounds like you do. Newer clubs would tighten up the math part of the game I imagine. What's the wife say?
[Reply]
Rain Man 03:38 PM 07-12-2020
If you have asked the question, the answer is yes.
[Reply]
Pablo 03:39 PM 07-12-2020
Maybe investing in some quality wedges might be a good starting point. There's a nice difference in those that might help you where most everyone needs the most help anyhow.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 03:39 PM 07-12-2020
lessons more than clubs
[Reply]
Jenson71 03:41 PM 07-12-2020
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
lessons more than clubs
This.
[Reply]
eDave 03:42 PM 07-12-2020
lessons more than clubs
Originally Posted by Jenson71:
This.
He wants new clubs guys. Let's be encouraging.
[Reply]
ChiTown 03:50 PM 07-12-2020
lessons more than clubs
100% this. If you are firing between 100-110, you need to grab 2-3 lessons and have them give you some ideas of what you are doing wrong, and how to correct it. Once you’ve done that, get to the range and practice 2-3 times a week. When you get your scores in the low to mid-90’s, then you can decide if you want new clubs. At that point, you can start to work on whether you like the shaft stiff or more flexible, and get clubs designed to your stance and your swing.

Good luck, Triple Threat!
[Reply]
eDave 03:52 PM 07-12-2020
Originally Posted by ChiTown:
100% this. If you are firing between 100-110, you need to grab 2-3 lessons and have them give you some ideas of what you are doing wrong, and how to correct it. Once you’ve done that, get to the range and practice 2-3 times a week. When you get your scores in the low to mid-90’s, then you can decide if you want new clubs. At that point, you can start to work on whether you like the shaft stiff or more flexible, and get clubs designed to your stance and your swing.

This has me considering guitar lessons. After 38 years.
[Reply]
seclark 03:58 PM 07-12-2020
Originally Posted by ChiTown:

This
And I don’t even shoot golfs
sec
[Reply]
crayzkirk 04:03 PM 07-12-2020
Lessons to identify your major faults and a club fitting as most people don't fit clubs as they come off the line. One thing that I learned is that while getting the newer clubs which are easier to hit, it's also possible to ingrain additional bad habits that the newer clubs cover up.

I've been playing since I was 12 and I still have the same swing faults that I learned as a kid. Good habits are hard to make and bad ones are hard to break.
[Reply]
chefs fan in omaha 04:08 PM 07-12-2020
Get professionally fitted for clubs. It makes a big difference as everyone is a different height, arm length etc.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 7
1 2345 > Last »
Up