ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 10 of 38
« First < 678910 1112131420 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chris Jones threatens to Hold Out
Dante84 07:59 PM 06-30-2020
Well shit.

Or I won’t play. @LeVeonBell told me about this

— Chris Jones (@StoneColdJones) July 1, 2020

UPDATE 7/12/20: Things are looking good!

I'm not saying this means anything, but I'm also not here to tell @RealMNchiefsfan he can't choose to believe. pic.twitter.com/I93PzdsUNm

— Joshua Brisco (@jbbrisco) July 12, 2020

UPDATE 7/14: Looks Done!

Breaking: #Chiefs and DT Chris Jones have reached agreement on a contract extension, per @mortreport.

— NFL Update (@MySportsUpdate) July 14, 2020

The Franchise 02:28 PM 07-01-2020
Should have gotten rid of Watkins, LDT and Sorenson....and paid Jones.
RunKC 02:30 PM 07-01-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
We lose the Super Bowl but/for the efforts of Chris Jones in the 4th quarter of that game.

Seriously - watch it again. The batted pass saved the game - full stop. Without it there's a good chance we simply don't get the ball back. And Jones was a force in that entire 4th quarter.

Yes, Jones is a MASSIVE difference for this team.
Hate this argument.

Without Eric Fisher’s excellent block on Bosa, Wasp never happens. Without Sammy’s excellent route on Sherman, that big gain never happens. Without Matheiu’s excellent tackle in the first drive, Deebo Samuel gets a TD (he actually had 2 TD saving tackles). Without Breeland’s awesome play beating Kittle’s block for a big TFL, SF gets a 1st down and maybe gets a TD instead of a FG. I didn’t even mention Damien Williams either.

So many examples here. It’s a team game. So many guys played a big part.
Easy 6 02:31 PM 07-01-2020
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
RINGLEADER 02:39 PM 07-01-2020
Originally Posted by :
5. Not sure why the NFL and Players Association can't figure out a way to give teams some sort of relief with next year's salary cap. It's a one year issue, I'm sure a creative solution can be found, like valuing contracts at 90% for cap purposes or something. I don't know.
They can. And they have in the past.

https://www.si.com/johnwallstreet/sp...oth-salary-cap
RINGLEADER 02:42 PM 07-01-2020
You can argue this — but I’d rather have Mahomes with weapons and average defense then Mahomes with fewer weapons and average defense + Jones. But I respect others who feel differently and wish there was a way to keep everyone but I’ll be okay with picks and keeping other pieces that are going to start coming due next season.
Red Dawg 02:58 PM 07-01-2020
No we shouldn't.
Shields68 02:58 PM 07-01-2020
Those guys are all on 1 year deals. 2020 is not the problem. We have enough to fit Jones and those guys under this years cap. It is the 5 year deal that he wants, that brings in the uncertainty of what the 2021 and 2022 cap will be and how you fit him and Patrick as well as the contracts you have currently have for those years, if the cap decreases.
DJ's left nut 03:03 PM 07-01-2020
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Hate this argument.

Without Eric Fisher’s excellent block on Bosa, Wasp never happens. Without Sammy’s excellent route on Sherman, that big gain never happens. Without Matheiu’s excellent tackle in the first drive, Deebo Samuel gets a TD (he actually had 2 TD saving tackles). Without Breeland’s awesome play beating Kittle’s block for a big TFL, SF gets a 1st down and maybe gets a TD instead of a FG. I didn’t even mention Damien Williams either.

So many examples here. It’s a team game. So many guys played a big part.
Sure.

Which is why the idea that a losing a 'mere defensive tackle' falls apart upon any reasonable scrutiny. We have a guy who does his job better than all but ONE defensive tackle in football and in the process of doing that job he made at least 3 crucial individual plays. Without those plays, we don't win a championship.

And because of his overall excellence, it's fair to presume that his replacement would not have made those plays or enough other excellent individual plays to offset them.

Khalen Saunders isn't going to make those plays. Nor is he going to be able to make the impact on the other snaps of the game to overcome the fact that he's a less dynamic player than Jones. Had Jones gone out on the first snap of that game - we lose.

I recognize that doesn't close the book on whether or not keeping Jones is feasible, but the idea that the team is a Super Bowl champion with or without him is just folly. Without him, and with his replacement taking his snaps, the 2019 Chiefs aren't NFL champions.
RealSNR 03:08 PM 07-01-2020
Random Vikings fan seems nice. At least he's realistic about compensation. He's not trying to do some stupid Madden bullshit like, "How about a 3rd and a 4th for Jones????"

Would two Minnesota 1st rounders do it for you if we couldn't keep Jones and had to trade him?

DJ's left nut 03:09 PM 07-01-2020
Originally Posted by Shields68:
Those guys are all on 1 year deals. 2020 is not the problem. We have enough to fit Jones and those guys under this years cap. It is the 5 year deal that he wants, that brings in the uncertainty of what the 2021 and 2022 cap will be and how you fit him and Patrick as well as the contracts you have currently have for those years, if the cap decreases.
You know how you make 2021 and 2022 more palatable?

Through creating roughly $24 million in cap rollover by walking away from Watkins, LDT and Sorensen.

You're right - we don't need them off the books to fit Jones this season. We needed them off the books to create enough rollover to fit Jones under the cap NEXT season.

Its honestly the same thing that should've been considered with Hitchens. You bite the bullet, take his cap hit this season, and clean $11 million off the books for next season.

Veach went all in on the 'run it back' campaign and I think it was extremely shortsighted. I think he should've used the good will created by the championship, not to mention the final relatively cheap year of Mahomes deal, to use this season to clean the books of some lousy contracts, create substantial rollover for next season and then have a leaned out, more cost effective roster for 2021 and beyond when Mahomes starts to get more expensive.
Pitt Gorilla 03:11 PM 07-01-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
You know how you make 2021 and 2022 more palatable?

Through creating roughly $24 million in cap rollover by walking away from Watkins, LDT and Sorensen.

You're right - we don't need them off the books to fit Jones this season. We needed them off the books to create enough rollover to fit Jones under the cap NEXT season.

Its honestly the same thing that should've been considered with Hitchens. You bite the bullet, take his cap hit this season, and clean $11 million off the books for next season.

Veach went all in on the 'run it back' campaign and I think it was extremely shortsighted. I think he should've used the good will created by the championship, not to mention the final relatively cheap year of Mahomes deal, to use this season to clean the books of some lousy contracts, create substantial rollover for next season and then have a leaned out, more cost effective roster for 2021 and beyond when Mahomes starts to get more expensive.
Great points across the board here. Need the NBA's amnesty clause for Hitchens.
oldman 03:23 PM 07-01-2020
I like Jones and would love to see him in a Chiefs uniform for years to come. While I understand his time to make money is limited, I think his stance right now is a little foolish. Let's face it, $16M is better than $0. Even if he has to play under the tag while things get sorted out, he'll still be a rich man.
Halfcan 03:30 PM 07-01-2020
Originally Posted by oldman:
I like Jones and would love to see him in a Chiefs uniform for years to come. While I understand his time to make money is limited, I think his stance right now is a little foolish. Let's face it, $16M is better than $0. Even if he has to play under the tag while things get sorted out, he'll still be a rich man.
I highly doubt CJ will miss out on that kind of check while also skipping a chance at a second SB ring.

A second ring will do more for his career than sitting out and wasting a season of his career.
The Franchise 03:39 PM 07-01-2020
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
Random Vikings fan seems nice. At least he's realistic about compensation. He's not trying to do some stupid Madden bullshit like, "How about a 3rd and a 4th for Jones????"

Would two Minnesota 1st rounders do it for you if we couldn't keep Jones and had to trade him?

Yeah. It would for me. And I’d love to keep Jones on this team. I just don’t see how we’re pulling it off.
The Franchise 03:40 PM 07-01-2020
Originally Posted by Shields68:
LDT is not. Watkins could have easily been cut and Sorenson can be replaced. I get the uncertainty though.
Page 10 of 38
« First < 678910 1112131420 > Last »
Up