ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 9 of 27
« First < 56789 1011121319 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chris Jones - Making Him the Highest Paid Defender in the League
dlphg9 07:52 PM 03-07-2020
Why couldn't we do it? Khalil Mack, the highest paid defensive player in the league right now had cap hits of $13.8 mil in yr 1 of his new deal and $11.9 mil in yr 2. Macks avg yearly salary is $23.5 mil per year.

Veach doesn't seem to like giving guys contracts past the age of 30, so I could see him doing a 5 yr $120 mil deal. That keeps Jones in KC until age 30 and we get all his prime years and don't run the risk of having to pay him a ton of money after he's 30. Him being a 2nd rounder is going to help him in negotiating.

If we structure the contract so that his cap hit is $13 mil in year 1 and $15 mil in year 2, we have him cheap when we are tight with the cap this year and then next year there should be a decent jump in the cap and we're not out $8 mil because of Eric Berrys dead money. The cap should raise significantly for the remaining 3 years of his contract and it wont burden us with trying to get other good players.

There are several factors that should allow him to become the highest paid defender in the league.

1. He is an absolute beast. I am higher on his run D than most, but no one can argue that he is not, at worst, the 2nd best pass rushing interior lineman in the league. Personally, I put him right next to Aaron Donald when it comes to pass rushing. Now someone smarter than me correct me please, but has there ever been a better pass rusher at that position than those 2? His impact in the Super Bowl will be a big bargaining chip for him during negotiations as well

2. He is only 25 years old. Veach is smart. He doesn't like giving out big money to old guys and he's not going to extend guys into the twilight of their careers and pay them tons of money. Luckily for Chris Jones he is only 25 and a 5 year deal puts him at 30 years old. Veach wants to keep guys that still have their best years ahead of him and the prime age for a DT is 28 according to PFF, so that means in theory we haven't even seen the best Chris Jones and Brett Veach isn't going to just let that walk away.

3. The new CBA. When the top paid defenders signed their deals there were only 16 regular season game and now neverything is pointing to a 17 game regular season, so contracts are going to reflect that. Prior to the news about the newest CBA coming a year early my best guess was that CJ was going to get $21.5 mil a year from the Chiefs, since Frank Clark is basically getting $21 mil a year. $21.5 mil a year breaks down to $1.34 mil per regular season game, so that extra game should pay an additional $1.34 mil a year and that alone puts CJs yearly avg to just under $23 million a year. That hasn't even taken into account the increase in the percentage of profit the players are getting.

Chris Jones is one of my favorite players on the team and is probably my favorite player on the defense. I hope we keep him even if we have to pay him more money per year than any other defender in the history of the league. My love for Chris Jones may cloud my judgement and make me irrational and I may be completely wrong in my train of thought, but I dont think signing Jones long term is detrimental to the future success of this team whatsoever. I actually believe it would be insanely stupid and detrimental to let a generational talent like Chris Jones walk because we got some draft picks for him. Chris Jones's skills are only matched by one other player at his position and those 2 may be the best pass rushers we have ever seen at d tackle and I don't think anyone else is even close. You can't replace his production and trading him is an awful idea.
[Reply]
JakeF 11:44 PM 03-09-2020
Originally Posted by Coogs:
Thought it was pretty straight forward.

You can make a case his is the best. You can make a case Mathieu is. You can make a case for Clark too. When he could be 3rd best, you don't make him the highest paid player in the NFL.

Mahomes on the other hand. Pay the man.
Bingo. I think didn't think it was that difficult to understand.

Too many people on CP are looking so intent on looking for a fight that they don't want to understand what is said because then they can't bitch.

Mathieu
Clark
Jones

When Clark is healthy he is the better all-around player on defense.
[Reply]
RealSNR 12:37 AM 03-10-2020
Originally Posted by JakeF:
Bingo. I think didn't think it was that difficult to understand.

Too many people on CP are looking so intent on looking for a fight that they don't want to understand what is said because then they can't bitch.

Mathieu
Clark
Jones

When Clark is healthy he is the better all-around player on defense.
More balanced? Sure. Better? Get the fuck out.
[Reply]
muddyjello 12:39 AM 03-10-2020
I really hope we keep him.
[Reply]
BlackOp 03:31 AM 03-10-2020
Two things...Chiefs SB window is NOW not 2 in years. There is a time to be financially prudent...and that isn't this off-season. The Patriots are finally dead. Get it while you can...there isn't a lot of great QBs in the AFC right now. They are going to have to draft well regardless of Jones for sustained success..

In a few years...even marginal players are going to be asking for stupid money. Teams are going to be able to keep their good players so FA will dry up. It sounds like a lot of money...but it wont be soon.

I realize Jones doesn't have cool name like "Honey Badger"...but he's their best defensive player.

Veach can push Mahomes money into the future...
[Reply]
IUsedToBeATightEnd 06:34 AM 03-10-2020
If he's going, then he needs to be replaced by another excellent inside pass rusher, and I dont see many around. Spags' pass rush is all about inside penetration and the ends setting an edge (and eventually finishing the job). Which happens to be also quite effective against the runs.
Reason why most folks here complained about Frank Clark - and why we let Dee Ford go in the first place.
Veach will do all he can (and more) to keep him.
[Reply]
RXTbone 08:15 AM 03-10-2020
Pay Jones.
[Reply]
Rasputin 08:28 AM 03-10-2020
Originally Posted by ChiTown:
IVIT

In Veach I Trust

This is an understatement I'm not even worried. Veach knows what he is doing and really can just make a case you want to win Championships come or stay in Kansas City if not go away.

Mahomes is going get a deal done that is a fact so little to worry about players will want to play here. I think Chris Jones wants to stay and we need him to anchor this defense so he will get something fair from Veach and so will Frank Clark and the Honey Badger I think we got them next few years anyways. No worries.

We got this all.

IVIT
[Reply]
BossChief 09:06 AM 03-10-2020
I think if they can sign him to what Frank Clark got, that would be a huge bargain and they should do it immediately after the CBA is signed. Either that or a 3 year deal similar to how Veach structured Landlord and Watkins deals. Something like 3/60 with 40 guaranteed. That allows Chris to hit FA again while still in his prime once the CBA explodes.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 09:16 AM 03-10-2020
Originally Posted by BlackOp:
Two things...Chiefs SB window is NOW not 2 in years. There is a time to be financially prudent...and that isn't this off-season. The Patriots are finally dead. Get it while you can...there isn't a lot of great QBs in the AFC right now. They are going to have to draft well regardless of Jones for sustained success..

In a few years...even marginal players are going to be asking for stupid money. Teams are going to be able to keep their good players so FA will dry up. It sounds like a lot of money...but it wont be soon.

I realize Jones doesn't have cool name like "Honey Badger"...but he's their best defensive player.

Veach can push Mahomes money into the future...
I disagree with this. With how young Mahomes and most of our players are we have a huge window to win championships.
[Reply]
mcaj22 09:32 AM 03-10-2020
Originally Posted by staylor26:
I noticed I haven’t seen you post much since we won the SB and just looking at your recent post history you literally haven’t posted once about winning it.

Your last post before you started posting again (before the SB) was you bitching about Reid when the Chiefs were down 24-0.

Then you disappeared, came back, and still come off like a miserable pillowbitergot.

What the **** is your problem dude? The Chiefs win a SB, you don’t even acknowledge it on here and just go back to being a miserable ****?

Do you have any joy in your life whatsoever?

* this isn’t necessarily a response to the post I quoted

If wanting to sign Chris Jones is considered being miserable around these parts, then sign me up.

I am glad you are so invested in my post history. I apologise I didnt celebrate the Chiefs Super Bowl victory with you. I am sure you are real fun at parties. I am bummed I missed out.
[Reply]
staylor26 09:47 AM 03-10-2020
Originally Posted by mcaj22:
If wanting to sign Chris Jones is considered being miserable around these parts, then sign me up.

I am glad you are so invested in my post history. I apologise I didnt celebrate the Chiefs Super Bowl victory with you. I am sure you are real fun at parties. I am bummed I missed out.
No it’s not about wanting to sign Chris Jones. I totally agree with that.

I’m talking about shitting on guys like Sorenson, Nnadi, Watkins etc. without even acknowledging we won it all and they were key players in that run/win.

You were bitching about Reid when the Chiefs were down 24-0 calling for him to be fired then came back after an incredible run all the way to the SB as if nothing changed since that post. You just went right back to bitching about overpaid bums like you used to. It’s fucking weird.
[Reply]
mcaj22 09:57 AM 03-10-2020
Originally Posted by staylor26:
No it’s not about wanting to sign Chris Jones. I totally agree with that.

I’m talking about shitting on guys like Sorenson, Nnadi, Watkins etc. without even acknowledging we won it all and they were key players in that run/win.

You were bitching about Reid when the Chiefs were down 24-0 calling for him to be fired then came back after an incredible run all the way to the SB as if nothing changed since that post. You just went right back to bitching about overpaid bums like you used to. It’s ****ing weird.
I don't know why this set you off so much. There are people in here that are arguing Clark and Mathieu is better Jones. To offer perspective I then grabbed a bunch of role players that Jones is better than. Really the Jones in Door #1 vs Breeland Speaks in door #2. Why are you bothered by that? Even if I am wrong who cares. The team has Mahomes now. Not Cassel, not Alex Smith. The days of arguing about the Stanford Routts and Jeremy Maclins are over. Mahomes will carry this team no matter what.

I have been wrong a lot it shouldnt bother you that much. Its fun to theory craft roster construction and cap space in the off season. Isnt that why certain people make those Late Night Bullshit Threads? Why is it negative if I think a guy sucks? Do you read the gameday threads on here? People turn on players every play.
[Reply]
Jerok 10:00 AM 03-10-2020
Whether we keep or trade Jones, one thing is certain.

We are winning the 2021 Superbowl.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 10:08 AM 03-10-2020
Originally Posted by Jerok:
Whether we keep or trade Jones, one thing is certain.

We are winning the 2021 Superbowl.
IF that's true, then you trade him.

IF.
[Reply]
Toad 10:43 AM 03-10-2020
I gotta confess that I have flip flopped on tag/trade vs just paying him now. Hell, I still go back and forth some, but for the most part, I think you pay him.

IMHO, The real issue is anticipating the CBA and subsequent salary cap. $20mm may be a bargain after they come to an agreement.

I too will trust Veach. He’s earned that.
[Reply]
Page 9 of 27
« First < 56789 1011121319 > Last »
Up