ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 27
« First < 45678 910111218 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chris Jones - Making Him the Highest Paid Defender in the League
dlphg9 07:52 PM 03-07-2020
Why couldn't we do it? Khalil Mack, the highest paid defensive player in the league right now had cap hits of $13.8 mil in yr 1 of his new deal and $11.9 mil in yr 2. Macks avg yearly salary is $23.5 mil per year.

Veach doesn't seem to like giving guys contracts past the age of 30, so I could see him doing a 5 yr $120 mil deal. That keeps Jones in KC until age 30 and we get all his prime years and don't run the risk of having to pay him a ton of money after he's 30. Him being a 2nd rounder is going to help him in negotiating.

If we structure the contract so that his cap hit is $13 mil in year 1 and $15 mil in year 2, we have him cheap when we are tight with the cap this year and then next year there should be a decent jump in the cap and we're not out $8 mil because of Eric Berrys dead money. The cap should raise significantly for the remaining 3 years of his contract and it wont burden us with trying to get other good players.

There are several factors that should allow him to become the highest paid defender in the league.

1. He is an absolute beast. I am higher on his run D than most, but no one can argue that he is not, at worst, the 2nd best pass rushing interior lineman in the league. Personally, I put him right next to Aaron Donald when it comes to pass rushing. Now someone smarter than me correct me please, but has there ever been a better pass rusher at that position than those 2? His impact in the Super Bowl will be a big bargaining chip for him during negotiations as well

2. He is only 25 years old. Veach is smart. He doesn't like giving out big money to old guys and he's not going to extend guys into the twilight of their careers and pay them tons of money. Luckily for Chris Jones he is only 25 and a 5 year deal puts him at 30 years old. Veach wants to keep guys that still have their best years ahead of him and the prime age for a DT is 28 according to PFF, so that means in theory we haven't even seen the best Chris Jones and Brett Veach isn't going to just let that walk away.

3. The new CBA. When the top paid defenders signed their deals there were only 16 regular season game and now neverything is pointing to a 17 game regular season, so contracts are going to reflect that. Prior to the news about the newest CBA coming a year early my best guess was that CJ was going to get $21.5 mil a year from the Chiefs, since Frank Clark is basically getting $21 mil a year. $21.5 mil a year breaks down to $1.34 mil per regular season game, so that extra game should pay an additional $1.34 mil a year and that alone puts CJs yearly avg to just under $23 million a year. That hasn't even taken into account the increase in the percentage of profit the players are getting.

Chris Jones is one of my favorite players on the team and is probably my favorite player on the defense. I hope we keep him even if we have to pay him more money per year than any other defender in the history of the league. My love for Chris Jones may cloud my judgement and make me irrational and I may be completely wrong in my train of thought, but I dont think signing Jones long term is detrimental to the future success of this team whatsoever. I actually believe it would be insanely stupid and detrimental to let a generational talent like Chris Jones walk because we got some draft picks for him. Chris Jones's skills are only matched by one other player at his position and those 2 may be the best pass rushers we have ever seen at d tackle and I don't think anyone else is even close. You can't replace his production and trading him is an awful idea.
[Reply]
FAX 07:08 PM 03-09-2020
A little help here ...

If somebody can explain the details associated with the franchise tag vs. the transition tag (in short, easy to comprehend words), I would be most grateful.

FAX
[Reply]
kcclone 07:23 PM 03-09-2020
Give me a 1st and a 2nd and sign me up for trading him. Congrats to Jones if he can get $20m+.

He’s earned it and has his ring. But we don’t need two DL making $20+.

We have too many areas we need to address this year and beyond.
[Reply]
Coogs 07:31 PM 03-09-2020
Originally Posted by FAX:
A little help here ...

If somebody can explain the details associated with the franchise tag vs. the transition tag (in short, easy to comprehend words), I would be most grateful.

FAX

Try this FAX.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...303-story.html

Only difference here is that instead of being automatically awarded 2 first round picks for the non-exclusive franchise tag, the compensation between teams is usually negotiated into the deal. For example, last year the Chiefs agreed to one 2nd round pick for Dee Ford instead of two 1st round picks.
[Reply]
BossChief 07:35 PM 03-09-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
Who?
Strahan

Reggie White, Michael Strahan and Chris Jones have similar frames and IMO ability.
[Reply]
Coogs 07:38 PM 03-09-2020
Originally Posted by BossChief:
Strahan

Reggie White, Michael Strahan and Chris Jones have similar frames and IMO ability.
Time will tell. The first one is one of the all-time great NFL players. Strahan was pretty good, but is not in the same conversation as White.

Jones is very good, but you could make a case that he is not even the best defender on the Chiefs. He very well could be, but Mathieu ain't bad either. Nor is Clark.
[Reply]
RealSNR 07:55 PM 03-09-2020
Originally Posted by JakeF:
Chris Jones is not the best defensive player in the league. He's pretty one dimensional. He is just lucky that his one dimension is really important.

He's not even the best defender on the Chiefs. He might be 3rd.
Uhh... sure? If the only dimensions are "interior pass rushing" and "not letting your dick fall out of your shorts when you sprint" then yeah, I guess Chris Jones is pretty one-dimensional.

"Not even the best defender on the Chiefs." What does this even fucking mean? Also, who fucking cares? That's like saying "Tyreek Hill isn't even the best offensive player on the Chiefs. He might be 3rd." Except what you said was way dumber, because you can make a legit argument for Jones being the best player on the Chiefs defense, whereas everybody and their blind deaf mothers would say Mahomes is the best player on the Chiefs offense.
[Reply]
Coogs 08:02 PM 03-09-2020
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
Uhh... sure? If the only dimensions are "interior pass rushing" and "not letting your dick fall out of your shorts when you sprint" then yeah, I guess Chris Jones is pretty one-dimensional.

[b]"Not even the best defender on the Chiefs." What does this even ****ing mean? Also, who ****ing cares? That's like saying "Tyreek Hill isn't even the best offensive player on the Chiefs. He might be 3rd."
Thought it was pretty straight forward.

You can make a case his is the best. You can make a case Mathieu is. You can make a case for Clark too. When he could be 3rd best, you don't make him the highest paid player in the NFL.

Mahomes on the other hand. Pay the man.
[Reply]
mcaj22 09:24 PM 03-09-2020
So what if Clark or Mathieu is a coin flip on who is better than Jones. You know who is not better? Anthony Hitchens, Daniel Sorenson, Derrick Nnadi, Alex Okafor, Breeland Speaks. The list goes on. You know those picks youd get for trading Chris Jones...they could be another Chris Jones or they could very well be another Breeland Speaks. Why not just pay the (very good) devil you know vs the devil you dont.
[Reply]
staylor26 09:34 PM 03-09-2020
Originally Posted by mcaj22:
So what if Clark or Mathieu is a coin flip on who is better than Jones. You know who is not better? Anthony Hitchens, Daniel Sorenson, Derrick Nnadi, Alex Okafor, Breeland Speaks. The list goes on. You know those picks youd get for trading Chris Jones...they could be another Chris Jones or they could very well be another Breeland Speaks. Why not just pay the (very good) devil you know vs the devil you dont.
I noticed I haven’t seen you post much since we won the SB and just looking at your recent post history you literally haven’t posted once about winning it.

Your last post before you started posting again (before the SB) was you bitching about Reid when the Chiefs were down 24-0.

Then you disappeared, came back, and still come off like a miserable pillowbitergot.

What the fuck is your problem dude? The Chiefs win a SB, you don’t even acknowledge it on here and just go back to being a miserable fuck?

Do you have any joy in your life whatsoever?

* this isn’t necessarily a response to the post I quoted
[Reply]
tk13 09:38 PM 03-09-2020
Originally Posted by ForeverIowan:
Fair point. Aaron Rodgers also only won one SB because they never surrounded him with weapons.
The thing that always goes unnoticed is the year Rodgers won, they had an elite defense. 2nd in points allowed, 5th in yards.

They haven't had a defense rank near the top 5 in either of those categories since. That was 10 years ago.
[Reply]
staylor26 09:40 PM 03-09-2020
Also, anybody who put Nnadi in the same category as draft busts or overpaid JAG’s is a fucking moron point blank period.

mcaj22 is easily one of the worst posters on this board and a miserable cunt.
[Reply]
ForeverIowan 10:00 PM 03-09-2020
Originally Posted by mcaj22:
You'd know what you're buying though. With the cap savings you could sign proven veterans in free agency to shorter deals say a Chris Harris Jr. and AJ Green.

If you snag a 1st and a 2nd/3rd for Jones you then have ridiculous draft capital to fill out the rest of your needs (DT, CB, LB, RB, IOL). Veach with 5 picks in the top 100 in this draft...damn!
[Reply]
RealSNR 10:30 PM 03-09-2020
Originally Posted by Coogs:
Thought it was pretty straight forward.

You can make a case his is the best. You can make a case Mathieu is. You can make a case for Clark too. When he could be 3rd best, you don't make him the highest paid player in the NFL.

Mahomes on the other hand. Pay the man.
Look, I'm gonna get lambasted for being that Frank Clark hating guy again, but if people actually believe Frank Clark is a more valuable player than Chris Jones, they're buttfucking morons.

Also, I think tales of Chris Jones and his lack of discipline in run defense are exaggerated. He's not the best guy at it, but he's becoming a much more balanced player. JakeF calling him "one-dimensional" in that regard is pretty freaking stupid.
[Reply]
staylor26 10:32 PM 03-09-2020
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
Look, I'm gonna get lambasted for being that Frank Clark hating guy again, but if people actually believe Frank Clark is a more valuable player than Chris Jones, they're buttfucking morons.

Also, I think tales of Chris Jones and his lack of discipline in run defense are exaggerated. He's not the best guy at it, but he's becoming a much more balanced player. JakeF calling him "one-dimensional" in that regard is pretty freaking stupid.
And I’m smart and reasonable enough to know that this isn’t an insult to Clark.

Chris Jones is really really fucking good and Chiefs fans STILL don’t seem to get it. It’s embarrassing.
[Reply]
BossChief 11:17 PM 03-09-2020
Chris is just entering his prime and has only had 1 year with premier coaching. He’s also surrounded with talent along that DL. There are many reasons to believe he will continue to ascend in this situation and he’s already an all pro quality player at a position of huge importance when talents like him are nearly as rare as elite QBs.

Chris Jones effects EVERY SINGLE PASS PLAY.

Whether it be him getting his long arms up to block passing lanes...

Flushing QBs out of the pocket.

Causing fumbles

Forcing rushed throws

Forcing a double team

Stalemating a run

Dude is a fucking unicorn.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 27
« First < 45678 910111218 > Last »
Up