ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 27
« First < 34567 89101117 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chris Jones - Making Him the Highest Paid Defender in the League
dlphg9 07:52 PM 03-07-2020
Why couldn't we do it? Khalil Mack, the highest paid defensive player in the league right now had cap hits of $13.8 mil in yr 1 of his new deal and $11.9 mil in yr 2. Macks avg yearly salary is $23.5 mil per year.

Veach doesn't seem to like giving guys contracts past the age of 30, so I could see him doing a 5 yr $120 mil deal. That keeps Jones in KC until age 30 and we get all his prime years and don't run the risk of having to pay him a ton of money after he's 30. Him being a 2nd rounder is going to help him in negotiating.

If we structure the contract so that his cap hit is $13 mil in year 1 and $15 mil in year 2, we have him cheap when we are tight with the cap this year and then next year there should be a decent jump in the cap and we're not out $8 mil because of Eric Berrys dead money. The cap should raise significantly for the remaining 3 years of his contract and it wont burden us with trying to get other good players.

There are several factors that should allow him to become the highest paid defender in the league.

1. He is an absolute beast. I am higher on his run D than most, but no one can argue that he is not, at worst, the 2nd best pass rushing interior lineman in the league. Personally, I put him right next to Aaron Donald when it comes to pass rushing. Now someone smarter than me correct me please, but has there ever been a better pass rusher at that position than those 2? His impact in the Super Bowl will be a big bargaining chip for him during negotiations as well

2. He is only 25 years old. Veach is smart. He doesn't like giving out big money to old guys and he's not going to extend guys into the twilight of their careers and pay them tons of money. Luckily for Chris Jones he is only 25 and a 5 year deal puts him at 30 years old. Veach wants to keep guys that still have their best years ahead of him and the prime age for a DT is 28 according to PFF, so that means in theory we haven't even seen the best Chris Jones and Brett Veach isn't going to just let that walk away.

3. The new CBA. When the top paid defenders signed their deals there were only 16 regular season game and now neverything is pointing to a 17 game regular season, so contracts are going to reflect that. Prior to the news about the newest CBA coming a year early my best guess was that CJ was going to get $21.5 mil a year from the Chiefs, since Frank Clark is basically getting $21 mil a year. $21.5 mil a year breaks down to $1.34 mil per regular season game, so that extra game should pay an additional $1.34 mil a year and that alone puts CJs yearly avg to just under $23 million a year. That hasn't even taken into account the increase in the percentage of profit the players are getting.

Chris Jones is one of my favorite players on the team and is probably my favorite player on the defense. I hope we keep him even if we have to pay him more money per year than any other defender in the history of the league. My love for Chris Jones may cloud my judgement and make me irrational and I may be completely wrong in my train of thought, but I dont think signing Jones long term is detrimental to the future success of this team whatsoever. I actually believe it would be insanely stupid and detrimental to let a generational talent like Chris Jones walk because we got some draft picks for him. Chris Jones's skills are only matched by one other player at his position and those 2 may be the best pass rushers we have ever seen at d tackle and I don't think anyone else is even close. You can't replace his production and trading him is an awful idea.
[Reply]
Molitoth 10:29 AM 03-09-2020
Chris Jones is going to be the new Alex Gordon.
[Reply]
BossChief 11:18 AM 03-09-2020
I’m with most that trust BV to make the right decision.

I just hope he either:

Signs him to a deal that doesn’t hamstring the team going forward

Or

Gets fair compensation in a trade.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 11:25 AM 03-09-2020
Originally Posted by BossChief:
I’m with most that trust BV to make the right decision.

I just hope he either:

Signs him to a deal that doesn’t hamstring the team going forward

Or

Gets fair compensation in a trade.
I think that’s where most are at. I’m glad I’m not the one making the decision. Veach with draft capital is exciting, though.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 11:34 AM 03-09-2020
Originally Posted by ForeverIowan:
I'm personally obsessed with surrounding Mahomes with weapons EARLY in his career and watching that core wreck the league but that's just me. That 2000-2010 Colts squad had HOFers in QB (Manning), RB (James), WRs (Harrison, possibly Wayne) a great TE (Clark) and one of the best centers of his era (Saturday). I was at the no punt game front and center that offense was fricken unreal.

Trade Jones for a 1st and a 2nd who knows maybe we draft Mahomes' Marvin Harrison/Reggie Wayne in Jeudy, Lamb, Ruggs III and his Edgerrin James in Swift, Dobbins, Taylor.

Jones of course may very well go on to have a HOF career and the draft picks we got for him may very well be busts. Just my opinion but you pair first round skill players with Mahomes they're not gonna be busts. James, Harrison, Wayne, Clark all first round picks for Manning.

Do you want to diversify your risk or does Veach think Jones is an all pro caliber player for the next 5-6 years? Time will tell. Good situation to be in.
Yeah and for all that offensive talent they only won one SB and that was because they finally put together a somewhat respectable defense.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 11:34 AM 03-09-2020
Originally Posted by BossChief:
Michael Stephan
Who?
[Reply]
ForeverIowan 11:56 AM 03-09-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
Yeah and for all that offensive talent they only won one SB and that was because they finally put together a somewhat respectable defense.
Fair point. Aaron Rodgers also only won one SB because they never surrounded him with weapons.
[Reply]
R Clark 12:11 PM 03-09-2020
I’ve no idea what the correct way to go on jones is. As others have posted trust in Veach . We have seen that you can have the best offense in the league and if you don’t have a damn good defense to go with it you ain’t winning shit.
[Reply]
BlackOp 01:05 PM 03-09-2020
Originally Posted by ForeverIowan:
Fair point. Aaron Rodgers also only won one SB because they never surrounded him with weapons.
If people are being honest...Mahomes won the SB because Jones batted down some potential first downs in the 4th quarter...

Jones also caused the initial pressure that led to a Garoppolo INT.
[Reply]
SuperBowl4 01:15 PM 03-09-2020
Originally Posted by BlackOp:
If people are being honest...Mahomes won the SB because Jones batted down some potential first downs in the 4th quarter...

And give credit to Dee ford not being a CHIEF!
[Reply]
OrtonsPiercedTaint 04:45 PM 03-09-2020
I kinda doubt the next NFC SB QB is Jimmy G
[Reply]
JakeF 05:01 PM 03-09-2020
Chris Jones is not the best defensive player in the league. He's pretty one dimensional. He is just lucky that his one dimension is really important.

He's not even the best defender on the Chiefs. He might be 3rd.
[Reply]
RunKC 05:06 PM 03-09-2020
Originally Posted by BlackOp:

Mathieu had 2 TD saving tackles, Suggs read a screen and saved a likely screen TD, Fisher had the key block on the 3rd and 15 conversion driving Bosa out of the play, Pennel had the hit the caused the INT, Clark had a key pressure and sack to end the 49ers offense on 4th down.

You can say this shit about several players dude.
[Reply]
JakeF 05:10 PM 03-09-2020
400m dollars on 3 players?

200m on Mahomes
100m on Clark
100m on Jones

I don't think we can afford to do that.
[Reply]
TomBarndtsTwin 05:17 PM 03-09-2020
Can the Chiefs make CJ the highest paid defender in the league? They can.

Should they? Absolutely not.

IF that is what he and his agent are wanting, goodbye Chris. Love you as a player and appreciate the last 4 years, but can’t sacrifice other areas of the Team just to support your bloated contract. Only Mahomes gets that luxury.

Hope Veach gets a nice draft haul for him in a trade. Hopefully to the NFC somewhere.
[Reply]
dlphg9 05:40 PM 03-09-2020
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Anybody claiming that Jones wants to be the highest paid player in the game when he has yet to say that anywhere....is talking out their ass.
No one is claiming that
[Reply]
Page 7 of 27
« First < 34567 89101117 > Last »
Up