ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 27
< 123 456713 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chris Jones - Making Him the Highest Paid Defender in the League
dlphg9 07:52 PM 03-07-2020
Why couldn't we do it? Khalil Mack, the highest paid defensive player in the league right now had cap hits of $13.8 mil in yr 1 of his new deal and $11.9 mil in yr 2. Macks avg yearly salary is $23.5 mil per year.

Veach doesn't seem to like giving guys contracts past the age of 30, so I could see him doing a 5 yr $120 mil deal. That keeps Jones in KC until age 30 and we get all his prime years and don't run the risk of having to pay him a ton of money after he's 30. Him being a 2nd rounder is going to help him in negotiating.

If we structure the contract so that his cap hit is $13 mil in year 1 and $15 mil in year 2, we have him cheap when we are tight with the cap this year and then next year there should be a decent jump in the cap and we're not out $8 mil because of Eric Berrys dead money. The cap should raise significantly for the remaining 3 years of his contract and it wont burden us with trying to get other good players.

There are several factors that should allow him to become the highest paid defender in the league.

1. He is an absolute beast. I am higher on his run D than most, but no one can argue that he is not, at worst, the 2nd best pass rushing interior lineman in the league. Personally, I put him right next to Aaron Donald when it comes to pass rushing. Now someone smarter than me correct me please, but has there ever been a better pass rusher at that position than those 2? His impact in the Super Bowl will be a big bargaining chip for him during negotiations as well

2. He is only 25 years old. Veach is smart. He doesn't like giving out big money to old guys and he's not going to extend guys into the twilight of their careers and pay them tons of money. Luckily for Chris Jones he is only 25 and a 5 year deal puts him at 30 years old. Veach wants to keep guys that still have their best years ahead of him and the prime age for a DT is 28 according to PFF, so that means in theory we haven't even seen the best Chris Jones and Brett Veach isn't going to just let that walk away.

3. The new CBA. When the top paid defenders signed their deals there were only 16 regular season game and now neverything is pointing to a 17 game regular season, so contracts are going to reflect that. Prior to the news about the newest CBA coming a year early my best guess was that CJ was going to get $21.5 mil a year from the Chiefs, since Frank Clark is basically getting $21 mil a year. $21.5 mil a year breaks down to $1.34 mil per regular season game, so that extra game should pay an additional $1.34 mil a year and that alone puts CJs yearly avg to just under $23 million a year. That hasn't even taken into account the increase in the percentage of profit the players are getting.

Chris Jones is one of my favorite players on the team and is probably my favorite player on the defense. I hope we keep him even if we have to pay him more money per year than any other defender in the history of the league. My love for Chris Jones may cloud my judgement and make me irrational and I may be completely wrong in my train of thought, but I dont think signing Jones long term is detrimental to the future success of this team whatsoever. I actually believe it would be insanely stupid and detrimental to let a generational talent like Chris Jones walk because we got some draft picks for him. Chris Jones's skills are only matched by one other player at his position and those 2 may be the best pass rushers we have ever seen at d tackle and I don't think anyone else is even close. You can't replace his production and trading him is an awful idea.
[Reply]
Chieftain 08:09 AM 03-08-2020
Originally Posted by tyecopeland:
No. Telling somebody to kill himself is totally cool here, unless you have a thread about being deeply depressed. Then it could be cause for a ban.

But putting a period between a bad word is always against the rules.
So calling another forum member in a completely unprovoked manner "a stupid motherfucker" and "kill yourself" is cool? Some of you here sure do have some strange logic. There was nothing cool or funny about what he wrote. And he doesn't have testicles big enough to say shit like that to me in person because he would not like the outcome.
[Reply]
Perineum Ripper 08:15 AM 03-08-2020
Originally Posted by e3263518:
So calling another forum member in a completely unprovoked manner "a stupid motherfucker" and "kill yourself" is cool? Some of you here sure do have some strange logic. There was nothing cool or funny about what he wrote. And he doesn't have testicles big enough to say shit like that to me in person because he would not like the outcome.

[Reply]
ThyKingdomCome15 08:23 AM 03-08-2020
Is he worth that? No. Can we afford to lose him? NO! Sign him and continue to hit home runs in the draft.
[Reply]
stumppy 08:30 AM 03-08-2020
Welcome to Chiefs Planet.
[Reply]
Rasputin 08:41 AM 03-08-2020
How old do you think the world is?
[Reply]
Bowser 08:44 AM 03-08-2020
Is the cunt above going to get an infraction for that post?
Just spell it out. We have filters on here for those that don't want to see that kind of language.

And no, no infraction. It's kind of a ChiefsPlanet thing for better or worse.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 08:56 AM 03-08-2020
Oh yeah this place is different than any other on the internet. Cursing and slamming one another is a badge of honor or a show of affection. The worse the debauchery of words the better.
[Reply]
Jerok 08:58 AM 03-08-2020
So calling another forum member in a completely unprovoked manner "a stupid mother****er" and "kill yourself" is cool? Some of you here sure do have some strange logic. There was nothing cool or funny about what he wrote. And he doesn't have testicles big enough to say shit like that to me in person because he would not like the outcome.
You post a dumb opinion and wants to NOT kill yourself? How will we weed out the bad opinions?
[Reply]
Red Dawg 09:17 AM 03-08-2020
People on here go way overboard with hateful words. Die of aids and kill yourself should banable offenses. Mods should punish. I got suspened for less.
[Reply]
ChiTown 09:25 AM 03-08-2020
So calling another forum member in a completely unprovoked manner "a stupid mother****er" and "kill yourself" is cool? Some of you here sure do have some strange logic. There was nothing cool or funny about what he wrote. And he doesn't have testicles big enough to say shit like that to me in person because he would not like the outcome.

[Reply]
Chief Roundup 09:42 AM 03-08-2020
Originally Posted by Red Dawg:
People on here go way overboard with hateful words. Die of aids and kill yourself should banable offenses. Mods should punish. I got suspened for less.
Gaz could not get this stuff changed. There is a 0% chance that it ever changes.
[Reply]
Rasputin 09:48 AM 03-08-2020

[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 09:59 AM 03-08-2020
Is the c.unt above going to get an infraction for that post?
Aww we have a snowflake here
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 10:00 AM 03-08-2020
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
I've come to the conclusion he's replaceable. Veach has shown he can identify talent in the draft. Pennel made more of a difference than Jones last year. If we can trade him for a 2nd and third or a 2nd in both 2020 and 21 to a team drafting top 10 I say do it.

How about detroit. Patricia would love having Jones.
If you’re talking about run defense than yes Pennel was better but overall no one comes close to Jones. We don’t win the super bowl without him. He had 4 batted balls in the most crucial spots. He is on the same level as Donald
[Reply]
Perineum Ripper 10:03 AM 03-08-2020

[Reply]
Page 3 of 27
< 123 456713 > Last »
Up