ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 19 of 19
« First < 91516171819
Nzoner's Game Room>Chris Jones Agrees to 4-Year Contract Extension Ahead of Deadline
Shaid 11:37 AM 07-14-2020
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ad-of-deadline

While the deadline is approaching, the Kansas City Chiefs have agreed to a four-year contract extension with defensive tackle Chris Jones, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen.

Schefter noted the deal is worth $85 million with $60 million guaranteed.

The Chiefs placed the non-exclusive franchise tag on Jones in March, guaranteeing him $16.1 million for the upcoming season. He and Kansas City have until 4 p.m. ET Wednesday to finalize a long-term contract.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 10:52 AM 07-20-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
There's like, one last potential stumbling block with this kid (well, notwithstanding my constant concussion fears).

It's the Rodgers disease. I mean what a churlish prick that guy turned into. But the seeds were there at the beginning with the shit with his family, etc... And he seemed to always have a chip on his shoulder regarding his own organization.

I mean it's easy to forget now how universally beloved Rodgers was in his 'superstar infancy' before he turned into the diva he is now.

But I think it's unlikely with Mahomes given some of the noted differences we've already seen. His teammates are tighter with him than they ever were with Rodgers (who always seemed a little aloof even before he went full-on prick). His personality seems a little more fully formed as well, so there's less likely to be a 'reversion' of sorts.

But man, did we strike the fucking lottery with this kid or what? Just unreal.
If I'd been stuck with Mike McCarthy and the front office staff that he was I'd be a miserable sack of shit too.
[Reply]
O.city 10:53 AM 07-20-2020
Mahomes has Andy Reid. You know the rest of the NFL has to see that and just be full on ........droopy shoulders. I mean you couldn't really make him a better QB in a lab, right?
[Reply]
suzzer99 10:57 AM 07-20-2020

Somehow I never saw this before. Lol at Jones never lifting weights in HS. Dude is just a natural freak.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:00 AM 07-20-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Mahomes has Andy Reid. You know the rest of the NFL has to see that and just be full on ........droopy shoulders. I mean you couldn't really make him a better QB in a lab, right?
"What if we took everything good about every quarterback Andy Reid has ever accomplished anything with and jammed them into a single guy? McNabb's competitiveness/heart, Vick's arm, Garcia's improvisational ability/accuracy, Smith's studiousness and toughness, Kevin Kolb's....hair"

Mahomes is the culmination of every weakness Reid has ever had to gameplan around. He's seen every one of the skills that Mahomes has before. And because he's had to figure out how to make each one of those a focal point to get around a weakness, how knows how to highlight each one of them.

Now he has them ALL.

Yeah, it's just beautiful.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 11:00 AM 07-20-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
No I was not worried about losing Mahomes.

I am not that worried about it, but we're talking hypotheticals here. Veech is a superstar now. The hope is he loves it in KC and doesn't care about making the absolute max he can make. The Cubs lured Epstein away from the Red Sox.

Maybe NFL owners have some kind of gentlemen's agreement not to poach GMs like that. I can't think of it happening too often.

Epstein wasn’t lured away from Boston to Chicago. He took some time away from baseball in between.
[Reply]
suzzer99 11:04 AM 07-20-2020
Why did he leave Boston? Money?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:07 AM 07-20-2020
Boston.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 11:12 AM 07-20-2020

Burn out.
[Reply]
suzzer99 11:33 AM 07-20-2020
Seems pretty young in life and career for burnout. Also I seem to remember a contentious back and forth period about if they were going to be able to keep him.

If there is some kind of owner's gentlemen's agreement about poaching - I guess sitting out a year could be a way around it.

However wanting to leave Boston I can more readily accept.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 01:15 PM 07-20-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:

Mahomes is the culmination of every weakness Reid has ever had to gameplan around.
IMHO Mahomes has also been transformative for Andy's own weaknesses. Watching Andy Reid with Alex Smith was infuriating at times, because we were always due for one head-scratching delay of game or baffling timeout per game. We also seemed to always have one 3rd and 1 playcall that was a slow developing misdirection that went nowhere (instead of just handing the ball off to Jamaal Charles) and a complete unwillingness to go for it on 4th down (even when it would have been strategic to do so).

Mahomes has, by himself, completely lifted Andy's game in this capacity. One of my favorite things to watch in mic'd up is Mahomes clapping his hands at Andy and screaming "COME ON" when Andy is taking his time getting in a play call. Delay of Game has just not been a thing in the Mahomes era, and a similar thing happens on 4th down. Mahomes just demands to run on the field on 4th and short ("where's my helmet?") and Andy's willingness to go for it makes me wonder if he always would have been up for it had he had a QB as confident as Pat. While Andy's playcalling still has head-scratchers, Mahomes ability to improvise has done wonders in this capacity too.

It's just a dream pairing in every way.
[Reply]
Page 19 of 19
« First < 91516171819
Up