ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 31 of 38
« First < 212728293031 32333435 > Last »
Media Center>Star Wars Episode IX - SPOILER THREAD
DaneMcCloud 09:46 PM 12-17-2019
Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker had its premiere last night at the Dolby Theater in Hollywood. Non-Spoiler reviews and Twitter mentions are trickling out and they're overwhelmingly positive.

I'll be seeing the film Thursday night, 6:30pm PST but I'm not sure if I'll have time to post because we're traveling for the holidays, leaving at 4am the next morning. If I can't post Thursday evening, I'll get to it at some point over the weekend, maybe after I've seen it a second time.

It's a Spoiler thread but let's try to keep the real spoilery stuff in the Spoiler Tags through the weekend, just so we don't ruin the movie for someone that accidentally clicks on the thread.

Let's hear it! :-)
[Reply]
notorious 08:45 AM 04-11-2020
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Better or worse than Anakin and Padme rolling around in the wheat? You decide.
'I don't like sand. It's coarse, and rough, and irritating, and it gets in my vagina."
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 08:53 AM 04-11-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Attack of the Clones is such an awful movie. :-)

Also, I think this idea that RoS is a "bad movie" is a bit silly. It's a fantastic movie, when viewed as a Stand-Alone film.

The movie didn't work in a saga of nine movies, mostly due to the incongruous story that doesn't really match up with the first 7 films but in terms of film making, dialog, VFX, cinematography, set construction and action, it's pretty damn good.
As a standalone film, it is a good, if illogical, way to spend time. In context of the Star Wars franchise, it is flawed. I loved some individual moments. Lando was charming, the action was exciting, and the voices of the Jedi were nostalgic.

I just wish the sequel trilogy was done better. That way, IX didn't have to be a Hail Mary.
[Reply]
Bowser 01:05 PM 04-11-2020
Originally Posted by Carr4MVP:
As a standalone film, it is a good, if illogical, way to spend time. In context of the Star Wars franchise, it is flawed. I loved some individual moments. Lando was charming, the action was exciting, and the voices of the Jedi were nostalgic.

I just wish the sequel trilogy was done better. That way, IX didn't have to be a Hail Mary.
Yeah. Piss on VIII for being such a clusterfuck.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:11 PM 04-11-2020
Yeah. Piss on VIII for being such a clusterfuck.
There were three really bad decisions by Lucasfilm:

1. Allowing RJ to dismantle the entire legacy of Star Wars.

2. Firing Colin Trevorrow, whose script picks up where TLJ ended and provided a more logical and better conclusion to the saga than RoS.

3. Allowing JJ Abrams to completely "undo" TLJ instead of having a cognizant story that runs with the theme of TLJ.
[Reply]
stumppy 01:21 PM 04-11-2020
Watched this last night with the 12 yr old grandson. We've both always been fans since the first movie.
It wasn't one of my favorites. Maybe it'll grow on me after we watch it again but, yea, I'd give it a 6.5/10.
[Reply]
kcfanXIII 01:51 PM 04-11-2020
Attack of the Clones is such an awful movie. :-)

Also, I think this idea that RoS is a "bad movie" is a bit silly. It's a fantastic movie, when viewed as a Stand-Alone film.

The movie didn't work in a saga of nine movies, mostly due to the incongruous story that doesn't really match up with the first 7 films but in terms of film making, dialog, VFX, cinematography, set construction and action, it's pretty damn good.
I've kinda resigned myself to this fact with all 3 from the ST. They had no idea where they were going as a trilogy, but individually they were entertaining. I won't argue the pros and cons of them. I don't disagree that there are some issues with all of them, but overall I was entertained when I went to the theater. It is what it is at this point.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 01:54 PM 04-11-2020
Originally Posted by kcfanXIII:
I've kinda resigned myself to this fact with all 3 from the ST. They had no idea where they were going as a trilogy, but individually they were entertaining. I won't argue the pros and cons of them. I don't disagree that there are some issues with all of them, but overall I was entertained when I went to the theater. It is what it is at this point.
That's where I am.

It's like the movies were these weird film school assignments where J.J. and Rian were partnered up to write spec scripts for each other's works despite having radically different philosophies. I'd prefer to hear their interpretation of the SW saga at a panel at comic con rather than with one of the most iconic IP's of our era, but it's whatever at this point.
[Reply]
notorious 02:37 PM 04-11-2020
There were three really bad decisions by Lucasfilm:

1. Allowing RJ to dismantle the entire legacy of Star Wars.

2. Firing Colin Trevorrow, whose script picks up where TLJ ended and provided a more logical and better conclusion to the saga than RoS.

3. Allowing JJ Abrams to completely "undo" TLJ instead of having a cognizant story that runs with the theme of TLJ.
Who made these decisions? It's okay, you can say her name.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:48 PM 04-11-2020
Originally Posted by notorious:
Who made these decisions? It's okay, you can say her name.
Bob Iger and the entire Lucasfilm team were also involved, so there's plenty of blame to spread around.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 07:52 PM 04-11-2020
Bob Iger and the entire Lucasfilm team were also involved, so there's plenty of blame to spread around.
I absolutely blame Bob Iger for refusing to budge to JJ’s request for BOTH TFA and TROS to delay their releases to May. Both scripts would have really benefitted from some minor changes before going into production.

I blame KK for interfering with TLJ’s script process. RJ’s rough draft had Poe and Finn together (no Rose). Canto Bight was based off of Jabba’s Palace OG designs (KK said it didn’t feel like “Star Wars”) and way more of the original timecode was devoted to Luke and Rey. Not saying KK was the cause of all of these changes, it’s just amazing how both TLJ and TROS had much better scripts in their first drafts (arguably TFA did too - as it introduced Luke in Act III rather than the end). The writers of these movies always seemed to have a much better idea of how to do SW right than Disney’s execs ever did.
[Reply]
Setsuna 11:05 AM 04-12-2020
Better or worse than Anakin and Padme rolling around in the wheat? You decide.
Worse. Disney was too afraid for Rey and Finn to have a romantic relationship despite their claims they are progressive.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:18 PM 04-12-2020
Originally Posted by Setsuna:
Worse. Disney was too afraid for Rey and Finn to have a romantic relationship despite their claims they are progressive.
How does a romantic relationship between Rey & Finn further the Skywalker saga?
[Reply]
KC_Connection 12:40 PM 04-12-2020
How does a romantic relationship between Rey & Finn further the Skywalker saga?
I don't know if it "furthers the Skywalker saga" but they basically laid the groundwork for it in TFA and then it went nowhere. Yet another way none of these movies fit together at all.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:46 PM 04-12-2020
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
I don't know if it "furthers the Skywalker saga" but they basically laid the groundwork for it in TFA and then it went nowhere. Yet another way none of these movies fit together at all.
Finn and Rey are connected through The Force.

Slamming Disney for not following up on a romantic relationship and blaming Disney for not being "progressive enough", when there are dozens of issues with the ST, is worthless and petty.
[Reply]
DJJasonp 01:39 PM 04-12-2020
Finn and Rey are connected through The Force.

Slamming Disney for not following up on a romantic relationship and blaming Disney for not being "progressive enough", when there are dozens of issues with the ST, is worthless and petty.
Agreed.

like the 'honest trailer' - I'm more irritated that Rey can resurrect, but apparently no one was around with that skill to save Qui-Gon.

Inconsistencies (both in plots and mythology) is what bugged me.
[Reply]
Page 31 of 38
« First < 212728293031 32333435 > Last »
Up