ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 168 of 341
« First < 68118158164165166167168 169170171172178218268 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Off Season Lets Talk Guns, Part 2
HonestChieffan 11:58 AM 01-23-2011
Been a while since we had a guns n' ammo discussion.

Some of you are AR shooters Im sure. Im looking at a Colt 6920. Will be my first AR. Picked up a Glock this fall and really enjoy shooting it. Any feedback on that weapon?

Anyone else been in a buy/sell/trade mood with hardware?
[Reply]
ljmhawk 10:07 PM 04-02-2020
been wanting to buy my first gun for a couple years now yet haven’t pulled the trigger.(stupid pun) anyway....what do you guys suggest?

1. no revolver
2.want a 9mm
3.wont conceal carry so don’t need a compact
4.mostly want it to just shoot at a range, and for home defense and carry it in car.
5.dont want to break the bank...remember it’ll be my first gun.

let’s hear your suggestions! TIA
[Reply]
Megatron96 10:13 PM 04-02-2020
What's your budget? $400? $500? $800?

What state do you live in?
[Reply]
Frazod 10:28 PM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by ljmhawk:
been wanting to buy my first gun for a couple years now yet haven’t pulled the trigger.(stupid pun) anyway....what do you guys suggest?

1. no revolver
2.want a 9mm
3.wont conceal carry so don’t need a compact
4.mostly want it to just shoot at a range, and for home defense and carry it in car.
5.dont want to break the bank...remember it’ll be my first gun.

let’s hear your suggestions! TIA
Can't go wrong with a Glock for your first pistol. If you get a 19, it's big enough to be an accurate shooter but small enough for you to carry it if you ever change your mind. It has a trigger safety (as opposed to an external lever safety) which I recommend for inexperienced shooters. If you're a new shooter and somebody wakes you up in the middle of the night, chances are you won't remember to disengage a lever safety and that could cost you your life.

This is a Glock 19

It is reliable, widely used, relatively inexpensive and has a decent trigger out of the box. You can get a used one or older generation for $350-$400, and a new Gen 5 with night sights for around $600. I own one.

There are several comparable models, however. You can get a Walther PPQ for around the same money. It has better ergonomics and is awesome. I have one of those in .45. Great gun. There's also the Smith & Wesson M&P and Springfield XD lines. I have owned those in the past and had no issues with them. Sigs are great, but generally cost a bit more. Rugers are okay. Stay away from Taurus, Kel-tec and Hi Point. Don't cheap out on a gun you may end up needing to defend your life.
[Reply]
ljmhawk 10:34 PM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
What's your budget? $400? $500? $800?

What state do you live in?
kansas and want to keep it around $500

i like the look of the smith and wesson m&p 2.0 full size. seems like everyone has a glock and they just look so plain. the other day Academy Sports has a Ruger security 9 for $279 but they have been sold out since.
[Reply]
Megatron96 10:44 PM 04-02-2020
There are literally dozens if not hundreds of different semi-automatic pistols chambered in 9mm. It would be helpful to know your budget, if you've ever shot a pistol before and which one(s), do you have any physical limitations such as arthritis in your hands, small hands, etc.

But generally speaking, the brands Fraz listed are all quality brands. Avoid the brands he listed as unworthy. Basically any gun that retails for less than $300 is probably not a quality gun.

Also, keep in mind that many of the more popular brands such as Glock and S&W might be harder to actually find right now. You might have to pick something either used or lesser known.

A couple examples might be a S&W 5906, which is an older discontinued model, but still holds 15 rounds and is an excellent piece. Same goes for a Beretta 92FS.

A newer brand that seems to still have decent availability is the Canik (pronounced "YAH-NIK") TP9 and its variants, which run about $350. Basically it's a Glock 19/17 with better styling.

All things being equal I'd suggest a S&W M&P9C 2.0, which is the best bang-for-your-buck full-size/compact pistol on the market, IMO. They run under $400 brand new right now, physically the same size as a Glock 19, but with better ergos, and better stock sights.

But you really need to get to a range or something and test-drive several guns before making your final choice.
[Reply]
Randallflagg 10:49 PM 04-02-2020

i like the look of the smith and wesson m&p 2.0 full size. seems like everyone has a glock and they just look so plain. the other day Academy Sports has a Ruger security 9 for $279 but they have been sold out since.

You didn't mention where in Kansas you live, however, if you are near the Olathe area, there is a range https://www.centerfiress.com That is (probably) the nicest range I have ever been on in 65+ years of shooting.

They offer gun rentals - which would give you a good idea of which weapon might or might not work for you.

I have tried Glocks many, many times and they are excellent firearms - but they never did it for me. I'm a Sig Sauer and Springfield Armory guy. Point being, everyone on this forum can offer suggestions about their particular likes and dislikes, however, only YOU can decide what is right for you.

Good luck with your search!!
[Reply]
ljmhawk 10:51 PM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by Randallflagg:
You didn't mention where in Kansas you live, however, if you are near the Olathe area, there is a range https://www.centerfiress.com That is (probably) the nicest range I have ever been on in 65+ years of shooting.

They offer gun rentals - which would give you a good idea of which weapon might or might not work for you.

I have tried Glocks many, many times and they are excellent firearms - but they never did it for me. I'm a Sig Sauer and Springfield Armory guy. Point being, everyone on this forum can offer suggestions about their particular likes and dislikes, however, only YOU can decide what is right for you.

Good luck with your search!!

i’m in Lawrence
[Reply]
Frazod 10:53 PM 04-02-2020

You don't buy a gun based on how it looks or doesn't look. That means absolutely dick when you're shooting it. Reliability, accuracy, ease of maintenance, finding parts, ammo and accessories, how it fits in your hand; those are what you base your choice on.

If your price range is $500 you have a ton of options. All the models I listed are in that price range.
[Reply]
ljmhawk 10:53 PM 04-02-2020
There are literally dozens if not hundreds of different semi-automatic pistols chambered in 9mm. It would be helpful to know your budget, if you've ever shot a pistol before and which one(s), do you have any physical limitations such as arthritis in your hands, small hands, etc.

But generally speaking, the brands Fraz listed are all quality brands. Avoid the brands he listed as unworthy. Basically any gun that retails for less than $300 is probably not a quality gun.

Also, keep in mind that many of the more popular brands such as Glock and S&W might be harder to actually find right now. You might have to pick something either used or lesser known.

A couple examples might be a S&W 5906, which is an older discontinued model, but still holds 15 rounds and is an excellent piece. Same goes for a Beretta 92FS.

A newer brand that seems to still have decent availability is the Canik (pronounced "YAH-NIK") TP9 and its variants, which run about $350. Basically it's a Glock 19/17 with better styling.

All things being equal I'd suggest a S&W M&P9C 2.0, which is the best bang-for-your-buck full-size/compact pistol on the market, IMO. They run under $400 brand new right now, physically the same size as a Glock 19, but with better ergos, and better stock sights.

But you really need to get to a range or something and test-drive several guns before making your final choice.
i like the m&p 2.0. used to do some hunting growing up.... pheasants, quail, rabbits etc. never shot many handguns. where are you seeing the m&p 2.0’s for $400? i’m seeing them at $485 and up.
[Reply]
Megatron96 10:53 PM 04-02-2020

I have a couple S&W M&P9/40 Shields (a 1.0 and a 2.0), a S&W M&P9C 2.0, S&W M&P40C 2.0, and a S&W M&P45 2.0. All excellent guns; can't rave about them enough.

I also have a Glock 19 gen 4 which also a very good gun, but if I had to pick one, I'd pick the S&W M&P9C 2.0 every time. YMMV of course.

The Ruger Sec-6 is a decent gun, as well as the Ruger American.

Walther makes some good 9mms, such as the CCP, PPQ.

The CZ P-10 is another good weapon under $500.

Springfield Armory's XD line is also within your budget and is a quality firearm.

The FNX-9, FN 509 or the Israeli IMI Jericho are also under $500.
[Reply]
ljmhawk 10:56 PM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by Frazod:
You don't buy a gun based on how it looks or doesn't look. That means absolutely dick when you're shooting it. Reliability, accuracy, ease of maintenance, finding parts, ammo and accessories, how it fits in your hand; those are what you base your choice on.

If your price range is $500 you have a ton of options. All the models I listed are in that price range.
i agree with you but people do the same with automobiles as well....you don’t buy a hideous looking car just because it has all the best ratings. i guess the glocks to me just look real blocky and outdated appearance wise. anyways thanks for the input.
[Reply]
Frazod 10:57 PM 04-02-2020
I came really close to getting the CZ P10 C, but based on the recommendation of my gunsmith, who is also a master-level competitive shooter, I got the Glock 19 instead. But it's a very good gun. CZs are my personal favorite when it comes to pistols. My daily carry gun is a tricked-out CZ 75 D Compact, but it costs a few hundred more than he wants to spend.
[Reply]
Megatron96 10:58 PM 04-02-2020
i like the m&p 2.0. used to do some hunting growing up.... pheasants, quail, rabbits etc. never shot many handguns. where are you seeing the m&p 2.0’s for $400? i’m seeing them at $485 and up.
Sorry, I was looking at the prices for the S&W M&P9 EZ. I did find this M&P9 2.0 for $429 though:

http:/https://www.gunbroker.com/item/863781964/
[Reply]
ljmhawk 10:59 PM 04-02-2020
Sorry, I was looking at the prices for the S&W M&P9 EZ. I did find this M&P9 2.0 for $429 though:

http:/https://www.gunbroker.com/item/863781964/
thanks
[Reply]
Frazod 10:59 PM 04-02-2020
i agree with you but people do the same with automobiles as well....you don’t buy a hideous looking car just because it has all the best ratings. i guess the glocks to me just look real blocky and outdated appearance wise. anyways thanks for the input.
This is a Walther PPQ. It's sexy as fuck, but also checks all the important boxes as well. You can get one for around $500.

[Reply]
Page 168 of 341
« First < 68118158164165166167168 169170171172178218268 > Last »
Up