ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 52 of 70
« First < 2424849505152 5354555662 > Last »
Media Center>Doctor Who
keg in kc 12:57 PM 03-30-2011
Been meaning to start a thread on this for years and never have for some reason. Big fan of both the original (what I've seen/remember of it...) and the rebooted series.

New doctor:

[Reply]
keg in kc 01:48 PM 06-03-2014
Originally Posted by Third Eye:
You're misinterpreting what he said. No, there never was any actual romance, but it was very obviously set up as a will they/won't they dynamic. This was moreso the case in the first Amy season, but even in the second there were very obvious innuendos.
Yep.
[Reply]
Rausch 01:58 PM 06-03-2014
What a stupid argument.

I guess Torchwood was ok even though characters were introduced only so the Cap'n could have someone strange to bang each week. I mean, it's not sexist or cheap or just selling sex because he's bi...and...well, we all know bi people are more open minded and moral...or...something.

Hell, Cap'n Jack was a complete man-whore who fucked more aliens than Kirk. I'd bet Jack has fucked both a tribble and a Zorn-zilla...
[Reply]
Ragged Robin 06:53 PM 06-03-2014
Originally Posted by Third Eye:
You're misinterpreting what he said. No, there never was any actual romance, but it was very obviously set up as a will they/won't they dynamic. This was moreso the case in the first Amy season, but even in the second there were very obvious innuendos.
You're both misinterpreting and misreading what actually was on the screen. There was never romance or hints of it at any point other than the scene where she makes out with him and is rejected. Feel free to list specific scenes in which you felt this was obvious because I just rewatched the entire run and this isn't the case at all.

Originally Posted by Rausch:
What a stupid argument.

I guess Torchwood was ok even though characters were introduced only so the Cap'n could have someone strange to bang each week. I mean, it's not sexist or cheap or just selling sex because he's bi...and...well, we all know bi people are more open minded and moral...or...something.

Hell, Cap'n Jack was a complete man-whore who ****ed more aliens than Kirk. I'd bet Jack has ****ed both a tribble and a Zorn-zilla...
I'm not sure about the relevance of anything you brought up here. Who said Torchwood was OK? Who's mentioning Torchwood at all? The act of having sex with other characters isn't sexist by itself anyway. The fact that Jack holds either gender in the same light, sexually or otherwise is more to proof that RTD's material is even less sexist.
[Reply]
Rausch 07:03 PM 06-03-2014
Originally Posted by Ragged Robin:
I'm not sure about the relevance of anything you brought up here. Who said Torchwood was OK? Who's mentioning Torchwood at all? The act of having sex with other characters isn't sexist by itself anyway.
I think it's laughable that people are apparently complaining about Dr. Who being sexist because the supporting (female) characters are only there for a love interest or sexual tension.

Don't get me wrong, I liked Torchwood. Well, until Showtime or whoever got their hands on it. Point being the male butler character and flavor of the week character are exactly the thing they're complaining about in Doc Who...
[Reply]
Rausch 07:06 PM 06-03-2014
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
We're just gonna disagree on that one. No point in discussing it further.
I watched until about 3 or 4 eps after Marty McFly became the new Dr. I just couldn't stand how goofy his portrayal was. Didn't watch again until Tennant came back for the special...
[Reply]
keg in kc 11:41 PM 06-03-2014
I think it's laughable that people are apparently complaining about Dr. Who being sexist because the supporting (female) characters are only there for a love interest or sexual tension. .
I don't think anybody's actually complaining about that. I'm not, although I am the one that brought it up. I don't actually believe that (that the companions are there only for love interest or sexual tension).

The 'sexist' discussion comes from the a rating of the show using the Bechdel test, which rates sexism only on whether two female characters have a conversation about something other than a man. Which is a pretty ridiculous test, as I mentioned. It would not be difficult for an incredibly sexist piece of fiction to pass it, nor would it be hard for a piece of work that isn't actually sexist in any real way to fail it.

In any case I don't think there's some grand sexist agenda behind Doctor Who, nor do I think there's a problem there. The show has featured strong female characters for literally decades. If anything, the whole discussion of sexism is likely tied more to the fact that a female Doctor has yet to be cast.
[Reply]
keg in kc 11:43 PM 06-03-2014
Originally Posted by Ragged Robin:
You're both misinterpreting and misreading what actually was on the screen. There was never romance or hints of it at any point other than the scene where she makes out with him and is rejected. Feel free to list specific scenes in which you felt this was obvious because I just rewatched the entire run and this isn't the case at all.
No, you're misenterpreting what we're saying, but that's fine. I'm not going to waste any more time replying about this topic. I'm just not that interested.

(sexism on the show I mean, not the show itself)
[Reply]
Rausch 10:19 AM 06-04-2014
In any case I don't think there's some grand sexist agenda behind Doctor Who, nor do I think there's a problem there. The show has featured strong female characters for literally decades. If anything, the whole discussion of sexism is likely tied more to the fact that a female Doctor has yet to be cast.
Isn't the Dr's Daughter still out there?

I mean, that's a clone of him so...
[Reply]
keg in kc 10:45 AM 06-04-2014

Main character Doctor. There was hubbub (again) when the newly announced doctor was a dude. It happens every time there's a new one, and will continue to happen until a woman's cast. Ditto for a black Doctor.

Just one of those things.
[Reply]
Mojo Jojo 10:52 PM 06-04-2014
Main character Doctor. There was hubbub (again) when the newly announced doctor was a dude. It happens every time there's a new one, and will continue to happen until a woman's cast. Ditto for a black Doctor.

Just one of those things.
And a ginger too
[Reply]
bevischief 01:54 PM 06-15-2014
http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/series-...side-63805.htm
[Reply]
keg in kc 02:11 PM 06-15-2014
Spoiler!

[Reply]
listopencil 05:53 PM 06-15-2014

I just rewatched that episode last night. As far as I know it's a loose thread still hanging. She came back from the dead but didn't change form, and she did this while a mysterious terraforming agent was at work, so (IMO) we don't know if she can regen or if she has any time lord abilities at all.
[Reply]
listopencil 05:55 PM 06-15-2014
Originally Posted by bevischief:
http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/series-...side-63805.htm

Dat Ass...

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Ragged Robin 06:04 PM 06-15-2014
Originally Posted by listopencil:
I just rewatched that episode last night. As far as I know it's a loose thread still hanging. She came back from the dead but didn't change form, and she did this while a mysterious terraforming agent was at work, so (IMO) we don't know if she can regen or if she has any time lord abilities at all.
Moffat has said publicly that he's not going to touch any loose ends in the RTD era out of respect (other than ones he created himself like River Song) so I doubt we see anything like that ever again unless RTD is involved (so no Rose/10.5 etc). He actually said that he's also approach RTD to come back to do an episode or two but he declined.
[Reply]
Page 52 of 70
« First < 2424849505152 5354555662 > Last »
Up