ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 483 of 3903
« First < 383433473479480481482483 4844854864874935335839831483 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Kiimo 04:52 PM 03-19-2020
My comment is that it's hilarious the delusions of grandeur in this thread as if any of us has access to enough information to say whether he is right or not. It's just an attempt to assume what you hope will happen and then work backwards
[Reply]
petegz28 04:52 PM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by RINGLEADER:
It took 3 months to get to 150K.

It took 6 days to get to 250K.

It will take 4 more days to get to the next 250K.
I understand what you are trying to say but to nitpick, we aren't even at 250k yet.
[Reply]
Pablo 04:53 PM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Wrong again, pete.
pete's the kind of guy that you could ask him the color of his orange juice every morning and he'd fuck it up.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:54 PM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
So is the whole "flatten the curve" thing not going to work? What else do we need to be doing?
Keep in mind, there is no shelter in place law in Los Angeles County, Ventura County or San Diego County. Right there, you're talking somewhere around 25 million people who, up until last week, were out in public, going to work, etc.

I was at Lake Hollywood yesterday and it was completely packed, far busier than I've ever seen it in my 27 years, the last 17 in which it's been right behind my home, and NO ONE, other than me, was practicing Social Distancing.

Also, keep in mind that the grocery stores have been packed 12 hours a day for weeks, as has been Costco, CVC, Target, Walmart and Rite Aid. There's no telling how many people have been infected and passed it on to others.

I hope it's not too late for Social Distancing to make a difference but until tens of millions of tests are available, no one will know with any certainty.
[Reply]
Donger 04:54 PM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by RINGLEADER:
It took 3 months to get to 150K.

It took 6 days to get to 250K.

It will take 4 more days to get to the next 250K.
That's globally. I know that California likes to sing "We are world!" but they aren't.

:-)
[Reply]
jjjayb 04:54 PM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi:
My comment is that it's hilarious the delusions of grandeur in this thread as if any of us has access to enough information to say whether he is right or not. It's just an attempt to assume what you hope will happen and then work backwards
No, it's that other experts aren't predicting those kinds of numbers. Can you find any credible people predicting half the population being infected in the next 8 weeks? Only a politician asking for money is. Sorry, this Flu hasn't made me more trustful of politicians.
[Reply]
Fish 04:54 PM 03-19-2020
Fuck it, everybody gets to drive now...

Jackson County prosecutor moves to keep some people out of jail as COVID-19 spreads

In an effort to keep some people out of jail during the coronavirus pandemic, the Jackson County Prosecutor’s Office on Thursday said it would broaden its guidelines for a diversion program and stop prosecuting drivers without valid licenses.

Prosecutors will also “engage in proactive efforts” to review bonds for people being held at the county jail in downtown Kansas City, which has long been over is recommended operational capacity. The office said it would minimize new bond conditions for defendants who are not considered dangerous or a flight risk as well.

In a statement, Prosecutor Jean Peters Baker said the changes would keep some defendants out of jail while assuring “dangerous persons” would not be released.
[Reply]
stumppy 04:55 PM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi:
BINGO

To many people posting with an agenda.
[Reply]
RINGLEADER 04:55 PM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by jjjayb:
Except we aren't seeing it continue to grow like that. We have seen a patern of it peaking off.
The pattern shows more evidence of it doubling than stopping. China is China so who knows but they took draconian steps to curtail the spread that the west would only entertain as a last resort (which, by that time, could be too late). South Korea had the brunt of its outbreak taking place within a mostly closed off religious sect which helped get it under control. Neither country has shown that they can restart their economies without this flaring up again but it’s possible it won’t spread in the same way now that they are testing and know who is/has been infected.
[Reply]
petegz28 04:56 PM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
That's globally. I know that California likes to sing "We are world!" but they aren't.

Currently there are 997 total cases reported from CA. That includes 149 new cases reported so far today.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
[Reply]
jjjayb 04:57 PM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Currently there are 997 total cases reported from CA. That includes 149 new cases reported so far today.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
But it's going to be 25 million in 8 weeks. :-)
[Reply]
petegz28 05:00 PM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by jjjayb:
But it's going to be 25 million in 8 weeks. :-)
You can't rule it out but I think that has to be a worst case scenario type of number. Keep in mind this is also in a letter that is asking for $1bil and expansion of several federal programs. While I have not qualms about giving the money and such if I were going to ask for money I would also paint the worst case scenario.

But if his contention is that even with all the social distancing and what not that you still have a better than 50% chance of getting it then something doesn't smell right.
[Reply]
TLO 05:00 PM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Yep. I think it's pretty damn irresponsible for him to throw that number out. It could cause a ****ing societal break down.
I see shit like this and I'm ready to just give up.. Like, who even cares.

I was feeling optimistic today. Now... Shit.
[Reply]
Bwana 05:01 PM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Just changed out the roll in my bathroom today. Even though I've got plenty, I still kind of felt like Lord Humongous from Road Warrior loading the last of the bullets into his revolver. :-)
[Reply]
Monticore 05:02 PM 03-19-2020
Aren’t the politicians making these calls risking reelection if they fuck this up, but I would gather getting wrong the other direction would be worse I guess , putting them in between a large small boulder and a small large rock.
[Reply]
Page 483 of 3903
« First < 383433473479480481482483 4844854864874935335839831483 > Last »
Up