ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2920 of 3903
« First < 1920242028202870291029162917291829192920 29212922292329242930297030203420 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
TLO 02:17 PM 08-28-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
What area is driving this?
From what I can gather, in order from greatest to least.

St. Louis area.
KC area
Central Missouri
Southwest Missouri
Northwest Missouri
Northeast Missouri.
[Reply]
dirk digler 02:20 PM 08-28-2020
Here is a good story on vaccines. There is a crap ton of vaccines that maybe available but not in the first wave. Everybody wants to kill this virus so we can go back to normal. :-)

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/27/h...-vaccines.html

Originally Posted by :
Seven months into the coronavirus crisis, with more than 30 vaccines rapidly advancing through the rigorous stages of clinical trials, a surprising number of research groups are placing bets on some that have not yet been given to a single person.

The New York Times has confirmed that at least 88 candidates are under active preclinical investigation in laboratories across the world, with 67 of them slated to begin clinical trials before the end of 2021.

Those trials may begin after millions of people have already received the first wave of vaccines. It will take months to see if any of them are safe and effective. Nevertheless, the scientists developing them say their designs may be able to prompt more powerful immune responses, or be much cheaper to produce, or both — making them the slow and steady winners of the race against the coronavirus.

“The first vaccines may not be the most effective,” said Ted Ross, the director of the Center for Vaccines and Immunology at the University of Georgia, who is working on an experimental vaccine he hopes to put into clinical trials in 2021.

Many of the vaccines at the front of the pack today try to teach the body the same basic lesson. They deliver a protein that covers the surface of the coronavirus, called spike, which appears to prompt the immune system to make antibodies to fight it off.

[Reply]
loochy 03:24 PM 08-28-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
40,000 new cases and 1,000 deaths/day aren't exactly good. We are now below 6% nationally, which is getting better.
I'm sorry. Your answer must be in the form of a question.

[Reply]
O.city 04:24 PM 08-28-2020
Already have a case in my sons class. Aid tested positive Tuesday. They’re doing 6 feet apart and such even in class room and masking so 2 kids were direct contacts that have to quarantine

Son is ok. He’s pretty scared and it’s not easy explaining all this to a 7 year old
[Reply]
TLO 05:20 PM 08-28-2020
Diagnosing COVID-19 infection: the danger of over-reliance on positive test results

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....26.20080911v3

I'd recommend reading the whole thing, but an interesting blurb.

Originally Posted by :
This is based on a widespread belief that positive results in these tests are highly reliable. However, data on PCR-based tests for similar viruses show that PCR-based testing produces enough false positive results to make positive results highly unreliable over a broad range of real-world scenarios.

[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 05:46 PM 08-28-2020
Wonderful.
[Reply]
R Clark 06:48 PM 08-28-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Already have a case in my sons class. Aid tested positive Tuesday. They’re doing 6 feet apart and such even in class room and masking so 2 kids were direct contacts that have to quarantine

Son is ok. He’s pretty scared and it’s not easy explaining all this to a 7 year old
My six yr old grandson is back to school ,no masks but are trying to do the 6’ distance thing. I can’t imagine it working with that age group.No active cases in the county the last three weeks so that makes me feel better with school in session
[Reply]
Fish 06:58 PM 08-28-2020
First week of classes...

300 Mizzou students infected with COVID-19, restrictions on crowds and bars enacted

With more than 300 University of Missouri students infected with the coronavirus and cases also rising among permanent residents of Columbia, the city is limiting crowd sizes and requiring bars to close early.

Health director Stephanie Browning says new cases of COVID-19 “are increasing exponentially.” She cites a test positivity rate of 44.6% last week as evidence of “widespread community transmission.”

By comparison, the county’s rate before students returned to class on Aug. 19 was 11%.

Effective Friday, August 28, public gatherings must be limited to no more than 20 people, with some exceptions. Bars and restaurants must cut off alcohol sales at 9 p.m. and close no later than 10 p.m.
[Reply]
TLO 08:26 PM 08-28-2020
This thing is taking off in my area. Just today I've had 3 people who are either staff or clients in close personal contact with a covid positive person. Staff got tested today. My 2 clients tomorrow. Really, REALLY hoping my clients are negative. Both have serious underlying conditions.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 09:47 PM 08-28-2020
Originally Posted by R Clark:
My six yr old grandson is back to school ,no masks but are trying to do the 6’ distance thing. I can’t imagine it working with that age group.No active cases in the county the last three weeks so that makes me feel better with school in session
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53932294

Another study from UK just came out supporting the idea that young children who don't have underlying health concerns are low risk. And probably a reduced risk to spread it to adults.

Social distancing might be most important for the teachers.

Outside of areas that are getting hammered, I would still support in person grade schools.

But I'm doubtful about high schools and colleges.

Instead of trying to enforce social distancing in that age group. I think I would work more on putting the kids in small groups and trying to keep the groups apart.
[Reply]
petegz28 08:40 AM 08-29-2020
First was the misleading charts.....now this.

KDHE hides low testing rate to push COVID positivity scare
https://sentinelksmo.org/kdhe-hides-...NITzIy6s2-N8RQ

Originally Posted by :
But here’s what Dr. Norman conveniently excluded – Kansas has the 2nd-lowest COVID testing rate in the nation, at 135,618 per million, which is 42% below the national average.

Dr. Christine White, a Johnson County pediatrician, recently told the Blue Valley school board that COVID positivity rates are artificially high because “the data is obtained from a skewed sample.” White says the vast majority of people tested in Johnson County already have symptoms or have a known exposure to COVID.
Originally Posted by :
Michael Austin, an economist and Director of Entrepreneurial Government for the Sentinel’s parent company, Kansas Policy Institute, says the combination of factors – testing far fewer people than most states and testing a lot of people who already have symptoms – likely results in a strong convenience bias.

“Like a radio host polling his fan mail to see if they like the show, Kansas is placing over-reliance on tests of those with a reasonable suspicion they already have COVID. This statistic under-represents the community at large and should not be the basis of any re-opening policy.”

[Reply]
MahomesMagic 08:54 AM 08-29-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
Here is a good story on vaccines. There is a crap ton of vaccines that maybe available but not in the first wave. Everybody wants to kill this virus so we can go back to normal. :-)

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/27/h...-vaccines.html
We don't need vaccines to return to normal.

See Sweden.
[Reply]
lewdog 09:19 AM 08-29-2020
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:

See Sweden.
Quite possibly your dumbest take yet. There’s no permanent immunity going about this the natural way, so it will always been present in much higher numbers than if a vaccine is present in this scenario.
[Reply]
petegz28 09:21 AM 08-29-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Quite possibly your dumbest take yet. There’s no permanent immunity going about this the natural way, so it will always been present in much higher numbers than if a vaccine is present in this scenario.
Says???? We have permanent immunity to millions of viruses and have since the beginning of man via "the natural way". That's a pretty bold statement I don't think you can substantially substantiate with any substantive substance.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 09:26 AM 08-29-2020
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:

See Sweden.
What is your definition of normal?
You do realize that Sweden still has a growing number of cases?
[Reply]
Page 2920 of 3903
« First < 1920242028202870291029162917291829192920 29212922292329242930297030203420 > Last »
Up