ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Media Center>Amazon Music vs Spotify
lewdog 07:51 AM 11-24-2019
Sell me on which one you prefer. We do have Amazon Prime and one Alexa, but debating whether to add Unlimited Amazon Music or go with Spotify Premium? Is their a major difference between the two? Does Amazon really have a bigger catalog of music?
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 07:55 AM 11-24-2019
Amazon has a higher bit rate if you go with the HD/UltraHD service. I haven't been able to not find anything I've looked for with Amazon.
[Reply]
hometeam 08:36 AM 11-24-2019
i have both, rarely use amazon, the spotify app is better.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 08:38 AM 11-24-2019
I was going to say something snarky, but...I'll refrain and just say that if I stream music, it's usually on archive.org
[Reply]
007 09:31 AM 11-24-2019
Both of them are phone battery killers. I prefer Spotify just for the simple interface. But, Apple music is better except for one little problem, it's a bigger battery killer.

The best streaming app for music is Google play music as it utilizes the least amount of battery in tests. The interface isn't very good though.
[Reply]
lewdog 10:39 AM 11-24-2019
Originally Posted by rabblerouser:
I was going to say something snarky, but...I'll refrain and just say that if I stream music, it's usually on archive.org
Snark away.
[Reply]
Pablo 10:54 AM 11-24-2019
I have Amazon unlimited and generally like it. I pretty much listen through my Alexa 90% of the time and it's seamless in that respect. Any and all bands/songs/albums I've looked up have been available on Amazon music so that's why it got the nod. The regular, free Amazon music absolutely has an annoying paywall feature where they give you a bunch of Pink Floyd albums to choose from..except 'Animals', which I happen to like the most of any of their work. That's available on unlimited. Little stuff like that and we have an Echo dot in my son's room so he can listen to a song before he goes to sleep. It would play some jank ass version of 'Over the Rainbow' as opposed to the baller one by Iz without the unlimited.

I used to have Rhapsody/Napster and it was fine. Spotify I've had before too. Nothing wrong with it. I like the Amazon interface but if you're going to be using it on the go a bunch then I'd just pick the one that has the interface you prefer and roll with it. They're all gonna run you $9-10/month or so.
[Reply]
eDave 12:07 PM 11-24-2019
Spotify. But I'm drifting towards youtube more.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 12:16 PM 11-24-2019
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Snark away.
Nah. I just don't stream music very much. It really doesn't sound very good.

I have a Marantz 2235b with a Music Hall turntable, a Sony SACD player, a Denon 720 pro tape deck, as well as Sony and Akai reel-to-reels. Oh and a Fiio x5 to play 24 bit files on.

I'd rather download a 24bit fileset. Streaming just doesn't sound good, plus if the Internet connection goes out, that's one thing. The other is, I prefer certain masterings, like the original Led Zeppelin vinyl or CDs of Houses of the Holy (I have the Japan 32XD CD, which sounds SO much better than the recent remaster), or, lately people have been bitching online that The Black Crowes took the "Lost Crowes" compilation off streaming platforms altogether. People went to listen and *poof* the shit was gone. Me, having the 3LP set on colored vinyl, I don't have that issue.

YMMV
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:32 PM 11-24-2019
If you have an unlimited plan through Verizon you get Apple Music for free FWIW.

No idea what you’ve got but it’s an option.

I have the free version of both apps and amazon works better IMO. But we use an Alexa to run classical music for the younger of the two varmints while he sleeps so I don’t have access to it a lot.
[Reply]
Buehler445 11-24-2019, 12:47 PM
This message has been deleted by Buehler445. Reason: Dupe
lewdog 12:51 PM 11-24-2019
Originally Posted by rabblerouser:
Nah. I just don't stream music very much. It really doesn't sound very good.

I have a Marantz 2235b with a Music Hall turntable, a Sony SACD player, a Denon 720 pro tape deck, as well as Sony and Akai reel-to-reels. Oh and a Fiio x5 to play 24 bit files on.

I'd rather download a 24bit fileset. Streaming just doesn't sound good, plus if the Internet connection goes out, that's one thing. The other is, I prefer certain masterings, like the original Led Zeppelin vinyl or CDs of Houses of the Holy (I have the Japan 32XD CD, which sounds SO much better than the recent remaster), or, lately people have been bitching online that The Black Crowes took the "Lost Crowes" compilation off streaming platforms altogether. People went to listen and *poof* the shit was gone. Me, having the 3LP set on colored vinyl, I don't have that issue.

YMMV
Save the history lesson old man.

I'm a millennial with a 2 year old. Convenient and easy is my middle name.
[Reply]
007 01:07 PM 11-24-2019
Originally Posted by eDave:
Spotify. But I'm drifting towards youtube more.
I tried YouTube music and really hated it. Not a fan of their live recordings that are just audio from a YouTube video. Never been a fan of live recordings anyway.
[Reply]
EPodolak 01:26 PM 11-24-2019
I use Pandora on the TV and Amazon on the Alexa and Youtube on the laptop. The rest of the time I hum.
[Reply]
eDave 01:35 PM 11-24-2019
Originally Posted by 007:
I tried YouTube music and really hated it. Not a fan of their live recordings that are just audio from a YouTube video. Never been a fan of live recordings anyway.
It's the live recordings that I seek mostly. But yea, there's some clunkers out there, but Spotify is limited in their live options, IMO.
[Reply]
vailpass 03:12 PM 11-24-2019
I have both. Spotify is easy to use and had everything I look for. Never use Amazon for music. Spotify app is on android auto and roku so plays in my vehicle and through my tv sound system.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up