ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Media Center>Another Perfect Film Gets S**t on with a remake
DJJasonp 08:41 AM 09-14-2020
This time: Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

How can you possibly improve upon the original???

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/w...20loved%20ones.

Will Smith and Kevin Hart will star in and produce a remake of the 1987 road comedy “Planes, Trains & Automobiles” for Paramount Pictures.

The original “Planes, Trains & Automobiles” was directed by John Hughes, and starred Steve Martin and the late John Candy as a pair of mismatched businessmen trying to get home to Chicago for Thanksgiving in the face of a variety of travel disasters.

The remake will be a modern update of the original, with Smith and Hart playing characters who are forced to team up to tackle travel obstacles to get home to their loved ones.

Hart’s HartBeat Productions and Smith’s Westbrook Studios are developing the remake. Aeysha Carr (“Brooklyn 99”) is set to pen the screenplay, marking her feature writing debut. Hart and Smith will produce the film alongside Westbrook Studios co-president and head of motion pictures Jon Mone and HartBeat’s president of film and television Bryan Smiley.
[Reply]
Frazod 07:16 PM 09-14-2020
Originally Posted by Cheater5:
So if it wasn’t successful, why remake it?
I guess it's one of those movies that gained in popularity over the years on home video.

Personally, I never cared for it. I've made the drive between St. Louis and Chicago a thousand times. It ain't that hard.
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 07:25 PM 09-14-2020
The thing is, you could basically make the movie, call it something different, and people would say "it was really good, basically Planes Trains and Automobiles, but it was still good". Now that it's a "remake" everyone will hate it.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 07:33 PM 09-14-2020
They should only remake bad or mediocre movies like Dune
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 07:40 PM 09-14-2020
Originally Posted by Cheater5:
So if it wasn’t successful, why remake it?
Because the title is out there in the ether, so it's an easier sell (i.e., funding) than to call the movie something else entirely, then try to find funding.

Someone mentioned that this film wouldn't work because it's so much easier to travel today than it was in 1987.

Enter the TSA, COVID-19, Homeland Security, et al and you have the makings of a bankable comedy with two bankable and proven stars.

Now, that doesn't necessarily mean that it will work and draw a huge box office but it has a better chance with that title than without it.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 07:44 PM 09-14-2020
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
They should only remake bad or mediocre movies like Dune
Then go bankrupt on "Original Movies" that people don't want to see.

There's always a Catch-22 in the movie business.

Sony turned Jumanji into a franchise and it bears little semblance to the original.
[Reply]
rydogg58 07:59 PM 09-14-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Because the title is out there in the ether, so it's an easier sell (i.e., funding) than to call the movie something else entirely, then try to find funding.

Someone mentioned that this film wouldn't work because it's so much easier to travel today than it was in 1987.

Enter the TSA, COVID-19, Homeland Security, et al and you have the makings of a bankable comedy with two bankable and proven stars.

Now, that doesn't necessarily mean that it will work and draw a huge box office but it has a better chance with that title than without it.
I feel like they just remade this movie recently. The title escapes me, but it had Robert Downey Jr. and Zack Galifinakis.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 08:10 PM 09-14-2020
Then go bankrupt on "Original Movies" that people don't want to see.

There's always a Catch-22 in the movie business.

Sony turned Jumanji into a franchise and it bears little semblance to the original.
The reality is, Hollywood has been churning out remakes for decades.

The Thing, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Scarface, Oceans 11, Cape Fear, A Star is Born, etc......
[Reply]
Baby Lee 08:12 PM 09-14-2020
Originally Posted by Frazod:
I guess it's one of those movies that gained in popularity over the years on home video.

Personally, I never cared for it. I've made the drive between St. Louis and Chicago a thousand times. It ain't that hard.
Yeah, but bet you was a hog or a cattle. . . .
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 08:23 PM 09-14-2020
Originally Posted by rydogg58:
I feel like they just remade this movie recently. The title escapes me, but it had Robert Downey Jr. and Zack Galifinakis.
Yep, not too far off.

That movie was called Due Date.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 08:24 PM 09-14-2020
If will Smith is involved I'm sure this will be a lot more karate kid remake than Ghostbusters. It's not hard to take the same concept and spin a very different movie out of it.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 08:25 PM 09-14-2020
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
The reality is, Hollywood has been churning out remakes for decades.

The Thing, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Scarface, Oceans 11, Cape Fear, A Star is Born, etc......
Good stories are good stories.

There's nothing wrong with revisiting a story two, three, four decades or more after the original, especially if it was a good concept that failed to reach an audience.

For me, Planes, Trains and Automobiles felt more like Sketch Comedy or an SNL bit, and never really felt like a film.
[Reply]
DJJasonp 08:27 PM 09-14-2020
Just for reference, Planes, Trains and Automobiles cost $30 million to make and pulled in only $49 million at the box office, which is absurdly low considering it was released on Thanksgiving and had a theatrical run of 58 total weeks.

You of all folks know box office receipts aren’t necessarily an indicator of a quality film.

To your original point, I’m not upset over it, just bummed that the concept can’t be reimagined with a more original approach.

That all said, today’s discussion has made me realize how time flies and I’m getting old!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 08:29 PM 09-14-2020
Originally Posted by DJJasonp:
You of all folks know box office receipts aren’t necessarily an indicator of a quality film.

To your original point, I’m not upset over it, just bummed that the concept can’t be reimagined with a more original approach.

That all said, today’s discussion has made me realize how time flies and I’m getting old!
You're OLD, DUDE!!!

:-)

:-)
[Reply]
cooper barrett 08:37 PM 09-14-2020

Originally Posted by rydogg58:

[Reply]
cooper barrett 08:56 PM 09-14-2020
in 2020 PT+A is a voyeur site

Adult site

Spoiler!
Gallery: ✈️Planes��Trains��Automobiles
5,636 Views · 27 Favorites · 189 Uploads · 06 May

Remake of Silver Streak? Some scenes just can't be forgotten: funny and bringing back memories.

[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up