ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 33 of 153
« First < 232930313233 343536374383133 > Last »
Media Center>Star Wars: The Mandalorian
Hammock Parties 08:33 PM 10-04-2018
Jon Favreau is directing this live-action TV series.

Looks TIGHT.

Originally Posted by :
Production on the first Star Wars live-action streaming series has begun!

After the stories of Jango and Boba Fett, another warrior emerges in the Star Wars universe. The Mandalorian is set after the fall of the Empire and before the emergence of the First Order. We follow the travails of a lone gunfighter in the outer reaches of the galaxy far from the authority of the New Republic.

The series will be written and executive produced by Emmy-nominated producer and actor Jon Favreau, as previously announced, with Dave Filoni (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Star Wars Rebels) directing the first episode.

Additional episodic directors include Deborah Chow (Jessica Jones), Rick Famuyiwa (Dope), Bryce Dallas Howard (Solemates), and Taika Waititi (Thor: Ragnarok).

It will be executive produced by Jon Favreau, Dave Filoni, Kathleen Kennedy, and Colin Wilson. Karen Gilchrist will serve as co-executive producer. Stay tuned to StarWars.com for updates.

[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:48 PM 04-20-2020
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
Gee, YOU THINK
:-)
[Reply]
Frazod 02:16 PM 04-21-2020
:-)
[Reply]
Megatron96 06:59 PM 04-21-2020
So I just began watching this. So far I like it. Though it's not really Star Wars. It doesn't feel like SW much at all. It reminds me most of a western. In particular this old black-and-white western (I think, we only had a B/W TV until I was 9 or so) where this gunslinger discovered a baby and spent the rest of the movie trying to find a nice family to give the child to, and in the process came to love the kid.

But it's pretty good regardless. At least thru episode 4.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 10:08 PM 04-21-2020

The Mandalorian Season 3 Is Already in Pre-Production and Jon Favreau Has Been Writing for a While - #StarWars #TheMandalorian - https://t.co/xyWDZXGHu6 pic.twitter.com/iuLYj7RfbE

— SWNN (@StarWarsNewsNet) April 21, 2020

[Reply]
listopencil 02:08 AM 04-22-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
So I just began watching this. So far I like it. Though it's not really Star Wars. It doesn't feel like SW much at all. It reminds me most of a western. In particular this old black-and-white western (I think, we only had a B/W TV until I was 9 or so) where this gunslinger discovered a baby and spent the rest of the movie trying to find a nice family to give the child to, and in the process came to love the kid.

It's mythology. Heroes and anti-heroes, journeys of discovery, the purity of youth versus the wisdom of the elders, all that jazz.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:23 AM 04-22-2020

They have been saying Star Wars is a Western in space since the first one back in the 70's.
[Reply]
bowener 02:04 PM 04-22-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
They have been saying Star Wars is a Western in space since the first one back in the 70's.
They were wrong in the 70s then. Lucas was/is a big Akira Kurosawa fan. Everybody should be a fan of Akira Kurosawa, actually. So SW is closer to a Ronin Samurai Sci-Fi Fantasy. Just look at how everybody dresses in SW. Nearly all of it is inspired by traditional Japanese clothing. Vader's fucking helmet only makes sense if you see it in that light.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 02:05 PM 04-22-2020
Originally Posted by bowener:
They were wrong in the 70s then.
No they fucking weren't.

Han is a fucking outer space cowboy.

The entire cantina scene is like an homage to saloon scenes in westerns.
[Reply]
bowener 03:51 PM 04-22-2020

You're thinking of Ford's film '3 Godfathers'. It was one of my stepfather's favorite films. I've seen it at least a dozen times in my 35 years. My stepfather loved Westerns. All Westerns. He read every Louis L'Amour book multiple times. So I grew up watching Westerns endlessly. It's ok though, I made him watch Godzilla with me.

Slightly more off-topic, but my stepfather and stepbrother liked to bring up a random western they never knew the name of and could never find. They were watching a western one night that started out pretty decent then suddenly dinosaurs appeared and all hell broke loose. I recently found a copy of The Valley of Gwangi (1969) but unfortunately, both have already passed away.

No they fucking weren't.

Han is a fucking outer space cowboy.

The entire cantina scene is like an homage to saloon scenes in westerns.
Cool, man. You're absolutely right, that scene is probably based off of countless westerns. The Hidden Fortress has a similar scene as well, but that was most likely based on some early Ford Westerns.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 04:32 PM 04-22-2020
Loved the Russian Doll

Dane, know anything about this project?

A new “Star Wars” series is in the works at Disney Plus, Variety has learned from sources. The series hails from Leslye Headland, the co-creator, showrunner, and executive producer of the critically-acclaimed Netflix series “Russian Doll.”

Details of the exact plot of the series are being kept under wraps, but sources say it will be a female-centric series that takes place in a different part of the “Star Wars” timeline than other projects. Headland is said to be attached to write and serve as showrunner on the series, with the show currently staffing.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/sta...us-1234587493/
[Reply]
Megatron96 04:46 PM 04-22-2020
Originally Posted by bowener:
You're thinking of Ford's film '3 Godfathers'. It was one of my stepfather's favorite films. I've seen it at least a dozen times in my 35 years. My stepfather loved Westerns. All Westerns. He read every Louis L'Amour book multiple times. So I grew up watching Westerns endlessly. It's ok though, I made him watch Godzilla with me.

Slightly more off-topic, but my stepfather and stepbrother liked to bring up a random western they never knew the name of and could never find. They were watching a western one night that started out pretty decent then suddenly dinosaurs appeared and all hell broke loose. I recently found a copy of The Valley of Gwangi (1969) but unfortunately, both have already passed away.

Cool, man. You're absolutely right, that scene is probably based off of countless westerns. The Hidden Fortress has a similar scene as well, but that was most likely based on some early Ford Westerns.
Thanks! yeah, pretty sure that's the movie.

And SW can be both derived from old spaghetti westerns and Kurosawa films. Because many of the 60s and 70s westerns borrowed heavily from Kurosawa movies. "The Magnificent Seven" being just the most iconic one.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 08:14 PM 04-22-2020

Giancarlo Esposito: "Moff is very different from Gus Fring. He wields his own darksaber. He does his own dirty work and is certainly willing to" | #VarietyAfterShow presented by @NatGeoChannel https://t.co/Ll3JXA4gmb pic.twitter.com/VuK4NSvcah

— Variety (@Variety) April 22, 2020

[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 09:00 PM 04-22-2020
Loved the Russian Doll

I've heard rumors about a 3rd Star Wars TV series for the last year and had heard her name bandied around. The premise is supposedly "female-centric" and set either in a different era or "alternate timeline".

That said, I'm fully prepared to be disinterested. I like the hiring of Debbie Chow to run the Obi Wan series and love the showrunners of the Rogue One Prequel series but to be completely honest, I'm really not excited about essentially starting over with a new or alternate era and completely new characters.

As much as I've wanted it to be, Disney's version of Star Wars just isn't that appealing to me.

For me, it's lost its magic.
[Reply]
keg in kc 02:00 PM 04-23-2020

[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:37 PM 04-23-2020
The showrunner is a lesbian so there's been some chatter that this show will be about Dr. Aphra, a newer lesbian character created by Marvel Comics for Lucasfilm, but I'm not sure about this due to the reported timeline.

Aphra is an archeologist who is hiding from Vader and the comics are set Post-RotS, so I'm not sure how much stock I put in those rumors (none of which have come directly from friends at the MouseHouse).
[Reply]
Page 33 of 153
« First < 232930313233 343536374383133 > Last »
Up