ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 14 of 84
« First < 41011121314 151617182464 > Last »
Media Center>Conspiracy, the Paranormal, the Unexplained and the Esoteric
keg in kc 05:43 PM 01-17-2015
Figure this would have a better chance of surviving in the Media Center than on the main page, and I'll be adding youtube and podcast links from time to time as I come across them, so it fits.

This has been something that's interested me from a very young age, all aspects of mysterious stuff, whether we're talking forgotten or forbidden archeology or civilization (Atlantis, pre-colombian exploration of america, etc), unexplained events (like Tunguska in 1908, the lost Roanoke Island colony, etc), paranormal events like ghosts, the study of ESP and that sort of thing, conspiracy (ranging from JFK to stuff like the perpetration of the drug war and the infilitration of the media by US intelligence) and, of course, UFOs (which to me means "unexplained" not "extraterrestrial" but that's a whole other topic).

Anything could show up, and everybody should feel free to add whatever they like. Just try to keep it as civil and respectful as possible. This is not intended to be a DC thread; it's as much for entertainment purposes as it is to solve all the world's mysteries.

**Although if anybody posts anything from Third Phase of Moon they should probably expect me to kick them in the balls.**

Few things I like to watch or listen to in no particular order (most of this can be found on itunes as well...):

The Paracast
Binall of America
The Gralian Report
The Paranormal Report
Dark City
Radio Misterioso
Open Minds (mostly their podcast)

That's it for now, just wanted to get this started. Been thinking about doing it for a while...
[Reply]
notorious 11:01 PM 01-23-2015
About a month ago, I woke to my wife yelling our daughters name. I got pissed and glanced in the hallway to see a shadow of my daughter standing completely still, looking into our bedroom.

I said loudly "Sweetie, wake up!". She didn't budge. I turned the light on and POOF, she was gone. I went to her room to find her fast asleep.

I can explain it, but it's still spooky. My son's book bag was hanging across the hall, along with a vacuum, which in the dark looks like long hair and a standing human form. When my wife said her name, it told my subconscious to expect to see my daughter, so that's what I saw.

Freaky what the mind can manifest.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 11:03 PM 01-23-2015
Originally Posted by notorious:
JFC, I have a few times in my life, and it's terrifying. Once, when I was 15-16, I swore there was an alien in my bedroom staring at me for what was hours. I wouldn't (couldn't) move, I could only stare.
There is a GREAT book (grounded in reality) that explains that most people who think they've been visited by something out of the paranormal are really just experiencing sleep paralysis.

http://www.amazon.com/People-Believe.../dp/0805070893

They actually document an experiment in which they sleep deprive a man while he's on a road trip and he becomes delusional and is convinced he's been abducted. It's fascinating.
[Reply]
notorious 11:03 PM 01-23-2015
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Sleep paralysis is the worst. Nothing like starting your day with 5-10 minutes of actively willing yourself to move juuuuust a finger, or your wrist, . . . good Lord!! Is a toe twitch too much to ask?!?!?
I am a lucid dreamer with an active mind, so sleep paralysis is usually a living nightmare for me.

When it happens, it's almost always paranormal-like. That's why I think that a lot of people think they see something when it's really their minds manifesting things in a half-asleep state.
[Reply]
notorious 11:05 PM 01-23-2015
Originally Posted by Numbah One:
There is a GREAT book (grounded in reality) that explains that most people who think they've been visited by something out of the paranormal are really just experiencing sleep paralysis.

http://www.amazon.com/People-Believe.../dp/0805070893

They actually document an experiment in which they sleep deprive a man while he's on a road trip and he becomes delusional and is convinced he's been abducted. It's fascinating.
I am living proof, but I can see why someone would believe what they see if they aren't educated and scientifically grounded.
[Reply]
keg in kc 11:07 PM 01-23-2015
Those last few comments (I'm not being critical when I say this...) are why I'm such a big fan of physical or other types of evidence of events. Stories of lights in the sky, or abduction experiences, or ghosts, or bigfoot, or even stuff with multiple witnesses or caught on camera with today's technology is interesting but at the same time so easy to write-off as being something else, or nothing at all. Whereas when, let's say, a pilot says he sees something and it's confirmed by radar, something tangible that you can actually produce, that's another story...
[Reply]
notorious 11:08 PM 01-23-2015
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
Those last few comments (I'm not being critical when I say this...) are why I'm such a big fan of physical or other types of evidence of events. Stories of lights in the sky, or abduction experiences, or even stuff with multiple witnesses or caught on camera with today's technology is interesting but at the same time so easy to write-off as something else. Whereas when a pilot says he sees something and it's confirmed by radar, something tangible that you can produce, that's another story...
Absolutely.
[Reply]
keg in kc 11:11 PM 01-23-2015
May be some interesting stuff in the near future (knock on wood) with multiple-camera and -sensor setups in areas known to have frequent high strangeness events, like the San Luis Valley.
[Reply]
notorious 11:16 PM 01-23-2015
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
May be some interesting stuff in the near future (knock on wood) with multiple-camera and -sensor setups in areas known to have frequent high strangeness events, like the San Luis Valley.
That's one of my favorite areas.

We drive by it on our way to Pagosa every year. Blanca is MASSIVE compared to the surrounding terrain, and the dunes are awesome.

They have cattle crossing signs every once in a while, and some prankster started putting flying saucer stickers that shows them "beaming" the cow up! :-)
[Reply]
notorious 11:18 PM 01-23-2015
Similar to this, only on a real highway sign!

[Reply]
keg in kc 11:22 PM 01-23-2015
Heh. Reminds me of Nevada and the Extraterrestrial Highway. Although I guess that's official.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 11:37 PM 01-23-2015
I am sure most people here are aware but just for anyone reading sleep paralysis is pretty well studied and occurs when the REM cycle of sleep overlaps with being awake or in a light sleep. Since REM is when dreams occur for the most part you are already in a very imaginative state so separating fiction from reality us very difficult.

Additionally, REM sleep is the part of the sleep cycle when your heart rate increases, blood pressure rises, and you are breathing heavy. Combine this with the fact that you were just dreaming and are awakening in state of panic (physiologically), almost anything feels threatening, especially when you are aware that you are unable to move.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 11:45 PM 01-23-2015
Forget what I said. I'll figure it out.
[Reply]
notorious 11:50 PM 01-23-2015
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
I am sure most people here are aware but just for anyone reading sleep paralysis is pretty well studied and occurs when the REM cycle of sleep overlaps with being awake or in a light sleep. Since REM is when dreams occur for the most part you are already in a very imaginative state so separating fiction from reality us very difficult.

Additionally, REM sleep is the part of the sleep cycle when your heart rate increases, blood pressure rises, and you are breathing heavy. Combine this with the fact that you were just dreaming and are awakening in state of panic (physiologically), almost anything feels threatening, especially when you are aware that you are unable to move.
It sucks.

Take apprehension, stress, fear, anxiety, and mix it with your imagination and the inability to move.

Sleep paralysis mixes reality with hallucinations. Scary stuff if you ever get stuck in it like I have.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 12:48 AM 01-24-2015
Originally Posted by notorious:
It sucks.

Take apprehension, stress, fear, anxiety, and mix it with your imagination and the inability to move.

Sleep paralysis mixes reality with hallucinations. Scary stuff if you ever get stuck in it like I have.
The best is coupling it with 'limb death' when you sleep positionally cutting off blood flow to an arm or leg. So even when you overcome sleep paralysis, you have a limb with no motor response to deal with until blood flow is resumed.
[Reply]
keg in kc 12:52 AM 01-24-2015
I have experienced limb death a time or two in my arms. That's never fun.

I mentioned sleep apnea. It hasn't happened for a while, not sure if the improvement's connected with improved diet or exercise or nothing at all, but popping awake with the realization that you weren't breathing a moment before and feeling like you're about two seconds from asphyxia is freaking terrifying.
[Reply]
Page 14 of 84
« First < 41011121314 151617182464 > Last »
Up