ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 9 of 10
« First < 56789 10 >
Nzoner's Game Room>NFL Approves New Kickoff Rule
SHOWTIME 07:30 AM 03-26-2024

����������������: The #NFL has approved the new kickoff rule change, per @jjones9

Owners voted in favor of it 29-3. pic.twitter.com/fhlNNT25q1

— JPAFootball (@jasrifootball) March 26, 2024

New NFL kickoffs will look like this. pic.twitter.com/1fl16KSi4E

— Adam Schelfer (@AdamSche1fer) March 26, 2024

[Reply]
-King- 09:29 PM 03-31-2024
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
Why would this allow for more kickoff returns to take place? Isn't the ball kicked from the same place as before?
Read the first point of the picture he attached.
[Reply]
DaFace 09:54 PM 03-31-2024
Originally Posted by -King-:
Read the first point of the picture he attached.
With a caveat that they changed it to the 30 instead of 35 in the final rule.
[Reply]
Quesadilla Joe 02:17 PM Yesterday

New kickoff rule was a trip to watch for first time. Lower kicks, returners field on a hop or two. Need some shortstop/3b ball skills. Payton: “It’s a completely different play.” Said there will be “double-digit TD returns” in league this year. #9sports

— MikeKlis9NEWS (@mikeklis9news) May 11, 2024

[Reply]
RINGLEADER 10:13 AM Today
Originally Posted by Quesadilla Joe:
It’s now a gimmick. It’s going to piss off some fans of teams that are dominating every other play in the game and yet some crap team wins because they break off two or three of these in a game that they would have lost any other season.

I would run that reverse or versions like it on every play. You just need one guy to get out of position or get blocked out of position and it’s over.

FTR I hate it.
[Reply]
gordonelloyd 12:39 PM Today
Good to have read this thread and especially to see the video. If I understand it correctly, the huge significance I think will be that the kicking team has to wait until the ball is fielded. I hadn’t appreciated that and it’s significance before until I saw the video. I think that will be a huge game changer for good open field runners. As others observed Miami will really benefit with hill and our rugby guy could really do well here also.

So now I understand the point made on another thread about how this may really help lesser teams.

If Butker can kick it out of the end zone every time that should be our strategy and he should be our kicker. I think he should be able to do that as he has a really strong leg. But if he can’t, I agree with others that Reid or someone else should be the kicker because we need another tackler and we don’t want Butker to be injured.

This rule change will have a lot more significance than I initially thought. It’s good for making the game more exciting as I think it will add a completely new dimension. But it’s not going to be good for us as it will give all the lesser teams in the league (and that’s all of them) another way to beat us in situations where Butker can’t kick it out. having them start an extra 5 yards up the field for touchbacks is far less significant than the risks of a long run back under these new rules.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 01:03 PM Today
I could see LRZ excelling at these type of kickoffs.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 01:10 PM Today
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
I could see LRZ excelling at these type of kickoffs.
That is why they signed him.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 01:11 PM Today
Originally Posted by gordonelloyd:
Good to have read this thread and especially to see the video. If I understand it correctly, the huge significance I think will be that the kicking team has to wait until the ball is fielded. I hadn’t appreciated that and it’s significance before until I saw the video. I think that will be a huge game changer for good open field runners. As others observed Miami will really benefit with hill and our rugby guy could really do well here also.

So now I understand the point made on another thread about how this may really help lesser teams.

If Butker can kick it out of the end zone every time that should be our strategy and he should be our kicker. I think he should be able to do that as he has a really strong leg. But if he can’t, I agree with others that Reid or someone else should be the kicker because we need another tackler and we don’t want Butker to be injured.

This rule change will have a lot more significance than I initially thought. It’s good for making the game more exciting as I think it will add a completely new dimension. But it’s not going to be good for us as it will give all the lesser teams in the league (and that’s all of them) another way to beat us in situations where Butker can’t kick it out. having them start an extra 5 yards up the field for touchbacks is far less significant than the risks of a long run back under these new rules.
I thought I heard that if the ball is kicked into the end zone on the fly the ball was placed at the 40 yard line, just like if it went out of bounds.
[Reply]
RINGLEADER 01:26 PM Today
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
I thought I heard that if the ball is kicked into the end zone on the fly the ball was placed at the 40 yard line, just like if it went out of bounds.
“When a kicker boots the ball into the endzone, the opposing team's returner can choose to kneel rather than attempt a return; the result is called a touchback, and the returning team would receive the ball at the 25-yard line. (Under the new rule, touchbacks will now be placed at the 30-yard line.)“
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 01:27 PM Today
Gives shit teams like Denver chances for fluke plays. For the good teams it's a terrible rule change. Just boot it through the end zone every time
[Reply]
DaFace 01:27 PM Today
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
They were tweaking some of the details until March, and the final version changed the penalty for kickoff into the end zone to the 30. It's still the 40 if the kickoff fails to get past the 20 yard line.
[Reply]
RINGLEADER 01:29 PM Today
Again, FTR, I hope Butker kicks it thru the end zone every time. We can pretend the first play of every drive was a defensive hold.

I really hate this rule change. As the other poster above noted it will only help lesser teams get chances that they can’t earn playing the actual game that takes place between kicks. There will absolutely be games that feel like the Raiders X-Mas day game where we thoroughly outclassed the Raiders even with the worst game of the season and lost because of two flukey back-to-back defensive TDs.

That’s probably the best way to put it — games will be lost to inferior teams because of “flukey” plays. And that’s a bad thing in my book.
[Reply]
DaFace 01:33 PM Today
Originally Posted by RINGLEADER:
Again, FTR, I hope Butker kicks it thru the end zone every time. We can pretend the first play of every drive was a defensive hold.

I really hate this rule change. As the other poster above noted it will only help lesser teams get chances that they can’t earn playing the actual game that takes place between kicks. There will absolutely be games that feel like the Raiders X-Mas day game where we thoroughly outclassed the Raiders even with the worst game of the season and lost because of two flukey back-to-back defensive TDs.

That’s probably the best way to put it — games will be lost to inferior teams because of “flukey” plays. And that’s a bad thing in my book.
The entire game of football is nothing but a collection of weird, arbitrary rules meant to create excitement. I don't see how this is any worse than the rest of them.

If you want a "pure" sport that isn't flukey, track and field might be more your style.
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 01:37 PM Today
Whaaat? :-) it's OK to call a garbage rule change what it is
[Reply]
RINGLEADER 01:38 PM Today
Originally Posted by DaFace:
The entire game of football is nothing but a collection of weird, arbitrary rules meant to create excitement. I don't see how this is any worse than the rest of them.

If you want a "pure" sport that isn't flukey, track and field might be more your style.
Sorry, no thanks.

I’m a football lifer.

I hope you’re right, but it will not be a good look when teams hold an opponent to 120 yards of offense and lose 21-20 because three returns that would never have happened any other season.

And yes I get that you have to stop the other team. And they may find it actually reduces injuries. But I still don’t like it.
[Reply]
Page 9 of 10
« First < 56789 10 >
Up