ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 169 of 3903
« First < 69119159165166167168169 1701711721731792192696691169 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
DaFace 12:42 PM 03-12-2020
Originally Posted by ReynardMuldrake:
Go out in public, wear gloves, come home, throw them away. That way it doesn't matter whether you touch your face or not. Assuming the virus can't penetrate the glove.
Or just wash your hands. :-)
[Reply]
BIG_DADDY 12:43 PM 03-12-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Before I post a reply, do you acknowledge graphs as data or not? If so, I will post some graphs to help illustrate the benefits of social distancing & precautions.
Don't waste your time, I have seen everything. I am in SF at the epicenter of this in the US. We had 3 one off exposures in our family in a 24 hour period. I'm going to get it. I am ready to get it.

I see the importance of slowing the process. We are not going to stop this though. You too will have the Wuhan virus at some point BWillie. I would say work on your immunity system but nobody believes in that shit here so I am not going to post on it.
[Reply]
Loneiguana 12:43 PM 03-12-2020
Well, after some MU students who were exposed interned at the MO Capital Monday and Tuesday, the MO House and Senate have basically closed for two weeks.

I would be looking at a 2 week paid vacation starting tomorrow (during session!!!!), but the House wants to finish the budget and send it to the Senate before they bug out. May have to work a day or two next week (my office proofs, sets up, and prints them). Then I'll enjoy that sweet free leave.
[Reply]
suzzer99 12:44 PM 03-12-2020
https://www.theguardian.com/science/...oms-scientists

Originally Posted by :
An analysis of infections in Singapore and Tianjin in China revealed that two-thirds and three-quarters of people respectively appear to have caught it from others who were incubating the virus but still symptom-free.

The finding has dismayed infectious disease researchers as it means that isolating people once they start to feel ill will be far less effective at slowing the pandemic than had been hoped.

“This is one of the first things we were worried about when the outbreak began,” said Steven Riley, professor of infectious disease dynamics at Imperial College London, who was not involved in the work. “It was certainly unhoped for. This is one thing we really didn’t want to go this way.”

Researchers in Belgium and the Netherlands drew on data from outbreaks in Singapore and Tianjin to work out the “generation interval” for Covid-19. The generation interval is the time between one person getting infected and them infecting another. The figure is valuable for estimating the speed at which an outbreak will unfold.

The mean generation interval was 5.2 days in the Singapore cluster and 3.95 days in the China cluster, according to the analysis which is under review at an infectious disease journal. The scientists went on to calculate what proportion of infections were likely spread from people who were still incubating the virus and had yet to develop symptoms.
Originally Posted by :
The finding confirms recent comments from Maria Van Kerkhove, head of the World Health Organization’s emerging diseases and zoonoses unit, who said preliminary data showed patients shed more virus in the early stages of the disease, including when presymptomatic. A separate study that tracked nine patients in Germany found that levels of the virus might already be in decline when symptoms come on.
This is not good news. If people w/o symptoms can still show up positive on tests - this could explain how S. Korea is being so effective. They're catching some people before they even get symptoms and stopping them from spreading it.
[Reply]
SupDock 12:45 PM 03-12-2020
Go out in public, wear gloves, come home, throw them away. That way it doesn't matter whether you touch your face or not. Assuming the virus can't penetrate the glove.
People touch their faces with the gloves on.
[Reply]
Donger 12:45 PM 03-12-2020
Again, the key is to not touch your face, pick your nose, rub your eyes, etc. AT ALL until your wash your hands or use sanitizer. If you don't, it makes no difference wearing gloves or not.
[Reply]
ReynardMuldrake 12:48 PM 03-12-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Or just wash your hands. :-)
Is that 100% effective though? I don't know. I'd like to read up and see which is more effective.
[Reply]
Donger 12:48 PM 03-12-2020
Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY:
I am in SF at the epicenter of this in the US.
SF isn't the epicenter at all. The Seattle area was and still is.
[Reply]
DaFace 12:49 PM 03-12-2020
Is that 100% effective though? I don't know. I'd like to read up and see which is more effective.
Essentially, yes. Or at least as effective as trying not to touch your face with gloves on would be.
[Reply]
stumppy 12:49 PM 03-12-2020
Just got back from Walmart, not a roll of TP in sight. They still had a few bottles of rubbing alcohol and bleach but no hand sanitizer.
[Reply]
jd1020 12:50 PM 03-12-2020
I havent read up on any tests but Lysol, Clorox, and Purrell were added to some list of what kills the virus.
[Reply]
SupDock 12:50 PM 03-12-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Essentially, yes. Or at least as effective as trying not to touch your face with gloves on would be.
Think of all the surfaces you contaminate with the gloves.
[Reply]
Loneiguana 12:52 PM 03-12-2020
A good article on it.

How soap absolutely annihilates the coronavirus
You’re not just washing viruses down the drain. Soap destroys the coronavirus, a chemistry professor explains

https://www.vox.com/science-and-heal...d-soap-is-dope
[Reply]
Pablo 12:53 PM 03-12-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
SF isn't the epicenter at all. The Seattle area was and still is.
People in CA think the world stretches from one end of their state to another. They don't know any better.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 12:56 PM 03-12-2020
Originally Posted by Loneiguana:
A good article on it.

How soap absolutely annihilates the coronavirus
You’re not just washing viruses down the drain. Soap destroys the coronavirus, a chemistry professor explains

https://www.vox.com/science-and-heal...d-soap-is-dope
I've read that temperatures above 80 degrees will also kill the virus. Which is why i guess you supposed to use soap and hot water while washing your hands.
[Reply]
Page 169 of 3903
« First < 69119159165166167168169 1701711721731792192696691169 > Last »
Up