ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1180 of 3903
« First < 18068010801130117011761177117811791180 118111821183118411901230128016802180 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Marcellus 08:45 AM 04-07-2020
Originally Posted by NewChief:
It's been painful for sure. That being said, I think it's a somewhat good test run for more lethal pandemics. I was listening to Sam Harris (who has been really strident in arguments for greater response and people not taking this seriously enough), and he had an epidemiologist on there. Sam was really concerned at this epidemiologist wasn't concerned horribly concerned about COVID-19. The epidemiologist explained that when he gets worried about pandemics, he's thinking of viruses with a 50%+ mortality rate (which are out there) mutating to become highly infectious and hard to contain.

So, to him, COVID was scary, but it wasn't scary in the grand scheme of things. It doesn't mean we shouldn't take measure to combat it, and we definitely need to get our systems in place for when a "big one" comes. That, to me, all starts with MUCH better testing and detection capability. I still don't think we have actual good data on this thing due to our shitty testing capability (especially in states like Arkansas).

It makes you wonder, if this thing fizzles out pretty quick and in general it looks like an overreaction, how is that going to affect people's actions the next time a bug hits in 2 years? Obviously we SHOULD be better prepared for the next one.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 08:46 AM 04-07-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
I am sorry if my posts on a message board that have no impact on what happens somehow causes you distress. Its clear in your posting on this topic that unless you are all doom and gloom you don't agree with it. It's also clear you struggle with comprehension as I never stated anything about furthering anyone's career. You obviously have never dealt with people who's job is to be a subject matter expert on something that involves any level of risk and what their tendencies are.

The reality is there was a possible alternative reaction and outcome and its not settled nor will it likely ever be, which one is going to have the worst end result. Its not settled science.
I've posted plenty of articles that had good news in them in regards to this pandemic. So don't hit me with that 'doom and gloom' crap cause that's bullshit. I've been cautiously optimistic.

You want to come on here and harshly criticize our medical experts when you clearly don't know what you are talking about. So don't get upset when someone like myself calls you out on it. Again, acting like our medical experts wanted his to happen to further their career is one of the most asinine statements I've read in this thread.
[Reply]
Monticore 08:46 AM 04-07-2020
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
Let's hope. The market seems to be trending the right way as we find out the pandemic isnt nearly as bad as feared.
Yup I haven't even looked at my portfolio since it started going down, I figured it would be akin to taking your temperature every few mins (sorry TLO not trying to single you out). so when I look at it next year I'm hoping it looks the same.
[Reply]
Marcellus 08:47 AM 04-07-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
Better safe than sorry is actually a very smart way of thinking when it comes to pandemics.
Could the global economic impact end up being less than predicted as well Economist are in the same world are Virologist when it comes to educated guessing .
Valid point. This may be the best response to that idea I have seen. I hope that's the case as well. :-)
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 08:47 AM 04-07-2020
Originally Posted by Why Not?:
On that, I could agree(I sure hope that’s the case)the part I think is far fetched is getting everyone to Arizona to play everyday in the 112 degree heat on top of al the other logistic issues. Hopefully, we’re so far along by June things can start to resume as normal.
Getting any sport season going would be such a huge lift for the country. It will be an exciting day when it happens.
[Reply]
Why Not? 08:48 AM 04-07-2020
Getting any sport season going would be such a huge lift for the country. It will be an exciting day when it happens.
Amen.
[Reply]
Marcellus 08:48 AM 04-07-2020
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
I've posted plenty of articles that had good news in them in regards to this pandemic. So don't hit me with that 'doom and gloom' crap cause that's bullshit. I've been cautiously optimistic.

You want to come on here and harshly criticize our medical experts when you clearly don't know what you are talking about. So don't get upset when someone like myself calls you out on it. Again, acting like our medical experts wanted his to happen to further their career is one of the most asinine statements I've read in this thread.
:-) are you insane? Stop responding to me moron.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 08:49 AM 04-07-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Which. Ones?

Again - this isn't over. It won't be over in June. It probably won't be 'over' until NEXT summer.

And we are NO closer to knowing what actually yielded the greatest benefits because we never gave anything time to breath and reviewed any specific decision for its outcomes. Would that have yielded a steeper curve a week ago? Today? Very possibly. But it would've given us useful information that we could then utilize to make smarter, more sustainable decisions over the coming months/year.

And I'm not saying that should've been done in NY, which was clearly a unique hotspot. But there's no reason not to have taken more measured approaches in California, Missouri, Florida, Texas, Colorado or even Louisiana. And try slightly different ones. LEARN something, don't just have everyone freaking out and doing the same things at the same times. These are things that needed to be empirically mapped and modeled so we can come up with a long-term plan.

What we failed to learn now will likely create problems for months. And the reason we failed to learn those things is we put trust in horrid models and then tried to justify that trust as 'an abundance of caution'.
I don't know enough about viruses and pandemics to comment. I will say this all hindsight you are posting our medical experts don't have that luxury. A lot of people could die based on their recommendations and they would have to live with that.

We have no idea how bad this could have gotten if less strict social distancing measures were not put into place. I don't know about you but it's better to be safe than sorry in that regard.
[Reply]
Monticore 08:49 AM 04-07-2020
It makes you wonder, if this thing fizzles out pretty quick and in general it looks like an overreaction, how is that going to affect people's actions the next time a bug hits in 2 years? Obviously we SHOULD be better prepared for the next one.
Why would it be considered an overreaction if it worked?
[Reply]
NewChief 08:49 AM 04-07-2020
MERS had a mortality rate of 35% , there are other factors to worry about when it comes to pandemics death rate is not the only part.
Right. Which is why I added "mutating to become highly infectious and hard to contain." And, of course, a ton of different variables can factor into what it means to be "highly infectious and hard to contain."
[Reply]
wazu 08:50 AM 04-07-2020
Just imagine the ratings bonanza. Any sport that gets things up and running will have a ton of new viewers. I never watch NBA, but I would now.
[Reply]
Donger 08:50 AM 04-07-2020
The fact is that we put mitigation efforts in place. We will never know "how bad" it would have been without them, because we didn't do that.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 08:51 AM 04-07-2020
Why would it be considered an overreaction if it worked?
Did it work or would it never have been as bad as feared by taking more mild and measured precautions?

Obviously we will never know for sure.
[Reply]
Monticore 08:51 AM 04-07-2020
Originally Posted by NewChief:
Right. Which is why I added "mutating to become highly infectious and hard to contain." And, of course, a ton of different variables can factor into what it means to be "highly infectious and hard to contain."
It could have 0% mortality rate and 100% hospitalization rate and long term health issues as well and be cause for concern .
[Reply]
Donger 08:52 AM 04-07-2020
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
We have no idea how bad this could have gotten if less strict social distancing measures were not put into place. I don't know about you but it's better to be safe than sorry in that regard.
Yep. And people will use that as proof that what we put into place was an overreaction, even though they shouldn't.
[Reply]
Page 1180 of 3903
« First < 18068010801130117011761177117811791180 118111821183118411901230128016802180 > Last »
Up