ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Nzoner's Game Room>The 2020 Draft is going to be insane
Dante84 09:48 AM 04-02-2020
Every team's employees are going to be working remotely from one another, and will have to rely on technology and trust/pray it holds up.

Lots of articles talking about Zoom/Webex meetings for prospects and pre-draft interviews, but for anyone who has ever done a fantasy draft, you know that some team is going to **** something up on draft weekend. The wifi shits out, bad reception, you miss your turn, etc etc..

Can you imagine a 60-year old GM sitting at home, yelling at his son trying to figure out how to get his computer to turn on while they are on the clock?

I don't think there's been enough attention paid to how much potential there is for **** ups that weekend.
[Reply]
backinblack 09:53 AM 04-02-2020
meh, doesn't beat the floating stage in the Bellagio fountains we should've had
[Reply]
tyecopeland 09:54 AM 04-02-2020
Wasn't there a situation a few years ago where one team ran over their time in the first or second round and like three other teams raced in their picks?
[Reply]
Dante84 09:56 AM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by backinblack:
meh, doesn't beat the floating stage in the Bellagio fountains we should've had
I mean, that would have been the event, though. What I'm talking about is the teams trying to execute on draft weekend while working remote. Trying to discuss this guy vs that guy, potential trades, relaying info to eachother.... has potential to be a grand clusterfuck.
[Reply]
Rain Man 09:57 AM 04-02-2020
They should increase the time between picks to 8 hours, and we can enjoy the draft for months. Fly the picks in by carrier pigeon and make a big show of pulling the little piece of paper out of the holder on the bird's leg.
[Reply]
Shields68 09:57 AM 04-02-2020
Figured most of the teams would have their top 3-4 decision makers in the same room. Even if that meant putting them all up in some mansion for a month. If not then it really means that one person will hold the power for a team in this years draft.
[Reply]
RealSNR 10:02 AM 04-02-2020
Nobody cares if you think it will be more difficult. How do you think every other person feels who has to now work from home via video conference?

Here's an idea for the old farts who can't figure out the technology:

No video, but if you're in panic mode, you can tell somebody what to do and they'll do it.

Magic!
[Reply]
Dante84 10:05 AM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by Shields68:
Figured most of the teams would have their top 3-4 decision makers in the same room. Even if that meant putting them all up in some mansion for a month. If not then it really means that one person will hold the power for a team in this years draft.
There's risk there, too. Can you imagine if a some stubborn old bastard grabbed the wrong door handle at the place, didn't wash his hands, and then high-fived after making a selection?

Could take out the entire room of an organization.

I mean seriously - we'd be so fucked if Reid got this thing. The Pats with Belichek; Bucs with Arians; Patricia is fat as fuck for the Lions, Mayock is old with the Raiders, etc...
[Reply]
Dante84 10:09 AM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
Nobody cares if you think it will be more difficult. How do you think every other person feels who has to now work from home via video conference?

No video, but if you're in panic mode, you can tell somebody what to do and they'll do it.

Magic!
For sure, I'm just thinking the pressure will be on with everything happening so fast. Especially day 3 with 5 mins between picks and trade requests coming fast and furious.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 10:12 AM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by RealSNR:

Magic!

[Reply]
Eureka 10:13 AM 04-02-2020
Most teams have done 90% of their homework on potential players.

Conference calls will be in vogue and the draft will go off without a hitch.
[Reply]
Hoover 10:13 AM 04-02-2020
1. I think it is stupid that the NFL has shut down team facilities. I get they don't want trainers and all that shit going on, but for GMs and there scouting staff, why they hell wouldn't you allow them to use their own offices and studios?

Saints are using a brew pub as its draft headquarters.

I'd want all my staff under one roof - but separated.
[Reply]
Rasputin 10:14 AM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by tyecopeland:
Wasn't there a situation a few years ago where one team ran over their time in the first or second round and like three other teams raced in their picks?

Minnesota Vikings did that one year and it's been joked about ever since.
[Reply]
OrtonsPiercedTaint 10:15 AM 04-02-2020
I hope the player grabs the right jersey with the #1 on it :-)
[Reply]
vailpass 10:16 AM 04-02-2020
If they use Zoom people are going to Zoombomb the hell out of them. Might make it more fun.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up