View Poll Results: People are hoarding toilet paper because they are:
Stupid 34 16.50%
Selfish 6 2.91%
Stupid and selfish 151 73.30%
Other. Please explain in thread. 15 7.28%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll
Page 27 of 30
« First < 172324252627 282930 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Idiots are hoarding toilet paper because?
Pitt Gorilla 01:20 PM 03-14-2020
We know the idiots hoarding bottled water have zero idea about how viruses spread, the water supply, and anything, really. The toilet paper people are similarly perplexing, but their idiocy is at least worth consideration.
[Reply]
Hydrae 12:57 PM 04-02-2020
And then this happens:

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news/to...s-coronavirus/
[Reply]
Frazod 02:35 PM 04-02-2020
The local grocery store seems to be almost back to normal; at least, outside of the facemasks, marked distancing spots in the checkout lines and plexiglass shields in front of the cashiers. That part is still pretty surreal.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:35 PM 04-02-2020
Maybe the TP shortage isn't hoarders but simple supply and demand.

Most outlets agreed that the spike in demand would be short-lived, subsiding as soon as the hoarders were satiated.

No doubt there’s been some panic-buying, particularly once photos of empty store shelves began circulating on social media. There have also been a handful of documented cases of true hoarding. But you don’t need to assume that most consumers are greedy or irrational to understand how coronavirus would spur a surge in demand. And you can stop wondering where in the world people are storing all that Quilted Northern.
There’s another, entirely logical explanation for why stores have run out of toilet paper — one that has gone oddly overlooked in the vast majority of media coverage. It has nothing to do with psychology and everything to do with supply chains. It helps to explain why stores are still having trouble keeping it in stock, weeks after they started limiting how many a customer could purchase.

In short, the toilet paper industry is split into two, largely separate markets: commercial and consumer. The pandemic has shifted the lion’s share of demand to the latter. People actually do need to buy significantly more toilet paper during the pandemic — not because they’re making more trips to the bathroom, but because they’re making more of them at home. With some 75% of the U.S. population under stay-at-home orders, Americans are no longer using the restrooms at their workplace, in schools, at restaurants, at hotels, or in airports.

Georgia-Pacific, a leading toilet paper manufacturer based in Atlanta, estimates that the average household will use 40% more toilet paper than usual if all of its members are staying home around the clock. That’s a huge leap in demand for a product whose supply chain is predicated on the assumption that demand is essentially constant. It’s one that won’t fully subside even when people stop hoarding or panic-buying.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 08:59 PM 04-02-2020
I have wondered about this.

I don't think my meat consumption has gone up but the amount of meat I buy at the store has gone up substantially.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 09:22 PM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Maybe the TP shortage isn't hoarders but simple supply and demand.

Most outlets agreed that the spike in demand would be short-lived, subsiding as soon as the hoarders were satiated.

No doubt there’s been some panic-buying, particularly once photos of empty store shelves began circulating on social media. There have also been a handful of documented cases of true hoarding. But you don’t need to assume that most consumers are greedy or irrational to understand how coronavirus would spur a surge in demand. And you can stop wondering where in the world people are storing all that Quilted Northern.
There’s another, entirely logical explanation for why stores have run out of toilet paper — one that has gone oddly overlooked in the vast majority of media coverage. It has nothing to do with psychology and everything to do with supply chains. It helps to explain why stores are still having trouble keeping it in stock, weeks after they started limiting how many a customer could purchase.

In short, the toilet paper industry is split into two, largely separate markets: commercial and consumer. The pandemic has shifted the lion’s share of demand to the latter. People actually do need to buy significantly more toilet paper during the pandemic — not because they’re making more trips to the bathroom, but because they’re making more of them at home. With some 75% of the U.S. population under stay-at-home orders, Americans are no longer using the restrooms at their workplace, in schools, at restaurants, at hotels, or in airports.

Georgia-Pacific, a leading toilet paper manufacturer based in Atlanta, estimates that the average household will use 40% more toilet paper than usual if all of its members are staying home around the clock. That’s a huge leap in demand for a product whose supply chain is predicated on the assumption that demand is essentially constant. It’s one that won’t fully subside even when people stop hoarding or panic-buying.
People are/were CLEARLY hoarding TP. You could see it at the stores/on the intranets. I'm sure residential demand increased, but not like that.

Our family has YET to go through a single package.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:37 PM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
People are/were CLEARLY hoarding TP. You could see it at the stores/on the intranets. I'm sure residential demand increased, but not like that.

ohhh I agree it was panic buying initially.
[Reply]
Rain Man 09:57 PM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:

We haven't bought any since this whole thing started, because we typically maintained a supply in the closet. But it's been out of stock the entire time here. I did my first grocery delivery today and it looked like I could order it to be delivered, but at the last minute the store deleted it from my order. I'll be glad when it eventually gets back to normal.
[Reply]
Ubeja Vontell 10:00 PM 04-02-2020
Something that has never crossed my mind before......what if we didn't have any TP?

Cut up T shirts ya toss in a trash can to be hosed down before tossing in the washing machine?

Hmmmm?
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 10:05 PM 04-02-2020
You could just hop in the shower
[Reply]
SupDock 10:34 PM 04-02-2020
Why the fuck are we hoarding dishwasher detergent
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 10:38 PM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by Ubeja Vontell:
Something that has never crossed my mind before......what if we didn't have any TP?

Cut up T shirts ya toss in a trash can to be hosed down before tossing in the washing machine?

Hmmmm?
A good peasant cleans using only his left hand and eats using only his right hand.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 10:45 PM 04-02-2020
So I just heard on TV that last year Americans spent about the same at restaurants as they did at grocery stores.

So take out and drive through exist, but restaurant spending has clearly collapsed.

All those calories now have to go through the grocery store supply chain.
[Reply]
OrtonsPiercedTaint 02:35 AM 04-03-2020
Men are at home & helping with the laundry
[Reply]
SuperBowl4 07:10 AM 04-03-2020
Because when can't afford gold or silver, toilet paper is the only option if you find some.
[Reply]
SuperBowl4 07:12 AM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by Ubeja Vontell:

Hmmmm?
The bills in your wallet.
[Reply]
Page 27 of 30
« First < 172324252627 282930 >
Up