« First < 194244284290291292293294 295296297298304344394794 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
mililo4cpa 06:20 PM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
Try two years.
Don't know how true this is or not, but the number I've seen is that 1.1M Americans travel for work (normally) every day....and this doesn't include the casual traveler, nor non-business related trips.

The U.S. is dead if it takes 2 years for normal travel to resume....no way, no how, not happening....
[Reply]
TinyEvel 06:44 PM 04-02-2020
Tesla up 17% in after hours trading after announcement they shipped over 88,000 cars in Q1 2020. Hmmm.
[Reply]
mililo4cpa 06:51 PM 04-02-2020
Here's why I'd be hesitant to long Disney at this present moment in one picture courtesy of the Fool:

Tesla is a meme company. Nothing about their valuation makese sense. Their merger with SolarCity a few years ago borders on criminal malfeasance.

If you've got enough money to buy a share and it's not going to hamper your overall goals then why not. Otherwise nope. I don't believe in a con man like Elon Musk.

Couldn't agree more on Tesla....doesn't make sense to me at all and agree that Musk is a con man. Does your Disney projections take into account the recent roll outs of Disney+ International markets?
[Reply]
mililo4cpa 07:02 PM 04-02-2020
P.S. I see that's through Q1....but I guess those adjustments are minor anyways so, I'll bow out.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 07:20 PM 04-02-2020
Try two years.
I agree.

Even if stuff starts opening up, concerns about the virus aren't going away over the next year and likely won't until there's a vaccine. There's going to be a large segment of the population that won't be going out to restaurants, won't be taking trips, won't be making large discretionary purchases, etc. Airlines are right in the crosshairs of that.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 07:35 PM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by mililo4cpa:
In this case, I don't any raw fear of flying....once things are copasetic, I expect everything to return to normal. People are clamoring to get out, and once it's announced it's OK to travel, people will do so. The fear factor is minute in this situation (this is all my opinion, right or wrong)
Here's how I'd think about it:

There is no denying that the economic cost of the shutdown is devastating and almost certainly magnitudes moreso than the health-related costs of the virus itself. In a simplistic world, if there were no economic cost to the shutdown, one would assume the authorities would keep things on lockdown until they had fully stamped out the virus or developed a vaccine which no doubt would take over a year. So, if and when restrictions are eventually lifted and things are deemed 'copacetic' in the next several months, one can pretty logically conclude that it's not because there's an all-clear on the virus itself. But rather, the cost/benefit of keeping the economy shut down versus the risks of the virus have become slightly more balanced. But for people like myself who have a wife with a weak immune system, a newborn, and a mother with severe respiratory issues, am I going to resume my normal day-to-day interactions with others? Not a chance. Are there going to be lingering waves of re-infections? Absolutely. Is this going to act as an overhang on our economy? For sure.

I 100% agree that when the restrictions are lifted a lot of people will want to get out and resume their normal life, but I think that will at best come in bits and pieces. And airline travel is about the last thing that they're going to want to do at that point.
[Reply]
ghak99 07:42 PM 04-02-2020
Here's why I'd be hesitant to long Disney at this present moment in one picture courtesy of the Fool:

Tesla is a meme company. Nothing about their valuation makese sense. Their merger with SolarCity a few years ago borders on criminal malfeasance.

If you've got enough money to buy a share and it's not going to hamper your overall goals then why not. Otherwise nope. I don't believe in a con man like Elon Musk.
We seem to have vasty differing thought processes, but I do appreciate reading the differing perspective.

I'm way more than a share deep in tesla and don't even like Musk or the company in general. If I'm honest with myself, the companies I like and believe in are currently my worst performers, by far. I believe that belief is actually a hinderance of my being able to see them more objectively and in the past it cost me when other opportunities presented themselves.
[Reply]
mililo4cpa 08:30 PM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
Here's how I'd think about it:

There is no denying that the economic cost of the shutdown is devastating and almost certainly magnitudes moreso than the health-related costs of the virus itself. In a simplistic world, if there were no economic cost to the shutdown, one would assume the authorities would keep things on lockdown until they had fully stamped out the virus or developed a vaccine which no doubt would take over a year. So, if and when restrictions are eventually lifted and things are deemed 'copacetic' in the next several months, one can pretty logically conclude that it's not because there's an all-clear on the virus itself. But rather, the cost/benefit of keeping the economy shut down versus the risks of the virus have become slightly more balanced. But for people like myself who have a wife with a weak immune system, a newborn, and a mother with severe respiratory issues, am I going to resume my normal day-to-day interactions with others? Not a chance. Are there going to be lingering waves of re-infections? Absolutely. Is this going to act as an overhang on our economy? For sure.

I 100% agree that when the restrictions are lifted a lot of people will want to get out and resume their normal life, but I think that will at best come in bits and pieces. And airline travel is about the last thing that they're going to want to do at that point.
From a micro-standpoint, there are lots of examples of people that will not, or should not, risk travel (your specific situation included). My belief is that, if the announcement was made tomorrow that it's "all clear and safe to travel", the 1.1M Americans that fly for business each day, and vast majority of casual flyers will do the same. So, it's not a matter of "if", but "when" the all clear is given. I believe that April, May, and June are going to be the 3 months of hell, and from there, things will start to open up. and when it doesn't, people will be more than itching to get back to business. For there to be a 2 year recovery, I'd think there would have to be at least another 12 months of restriction, and I just cannot see that happening....
[Reply]
BigBeauford 09:04 PM 04-02-2020

I know I am late but get wrecked.

$TSLA Q1 Numbers:

• Delivered: 88,400, +40% y/o/y
• Produced: 102,672, +33% y/o/y#Tesla's best Q1 ever. Congrats @tesla @elonmusk pic.twitter.com/FgEdDJ1ff7

— Tesla Daily (@TeslaPodcast) April 2, 2020

This company will hit $2k per share easy. Wait till the base model y hits next year.

Do you all even realize a $40k car was the 8th highest selling car? It's in the top 25 when adding in SUVs. I guarantee the model Y will be top 10. Take it to the bank.

Edit: To add even more perspective, the entire Auto Industry is eating a shit sandwich right now, except for Tesla. They are expected to outpace the industry by 25% for growth. Rich people have money and buy cool cars like Tesla even during shaky economic times. It's the middle class and below who can no longer afford to splurge on mainstream vehicles.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bus...y-2020-4%3famp
[Reply]
lewdog 09:34 PM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
I know I am late but get wrecked.

This company will hit $2k per share easy. Wait till the base model y hits next year.

Do you all even realize a $40k car was the 8th highest selling car? It's in the top 25 when adding in SUVs. I guarantee the model Y will be top 10. Take it to the bank.

Edit: To add even more perspective, the entire Auto Industry is eating a shit sandwich right now, except for Tesla. They are expected to outpace the industry by 25% for growth. Rich people have money and buy cool cars like Tesla even during shaky economic times. It's the middle class and below who can no longer afford to splurge on mainstream vehicles.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bus...y-2020-4%3famp
That's cool. A speculative stock doesn't mean their financial sheet matches the stock price. Sooner or later that ALWAYS catches up with companies.

Their profits have to explode to meet the current valuation of the stock price....otherwise in the end, it's just that, speculating.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 09:44 PM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
That's cool. A speculative stock doesn't mean their financial sheet matches the stock price. Sooner or later that ALWAYS catches up with companies.

Their profits have to explode to meet the current valuation of the stock price....otherwise in the end, it's just that, speculating.
They have over 6 billion in cash so they are fine for the time being. Man, lot of doubters here! Tesla is basically the Kleenex or Bandaid of Electric cars. They have a huge head start.
[Reply]
lewdog 09:53 PM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
They have over 6 billion in cash so they are fine for the time being. Man, lot of doubters here! Tesla is basically the Kleenex or Bandaid of Electric cars. They have a huge head start.
Can you tell me their PE ratio?
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 09:57 PM 04-02-2020
fuck tesla

when am i getting my VTIQ cashout?
[Reply]
BigBeauford 10:00 PM 04-02-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Can you tell me their PE ratio?
Who needs a P/E ratio!? Roll them bones!
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 05:45 AM 04-03-2020
This is an interesting article about some of the recent Fed changes and how much better our banks are positioned than 2008. It seems CCAR and the stress tests have worked?

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...much-money-now

Originally Posted by :
Very loosely speaking, the regulatory response to the 2008 financial crisis was to increase bank capital requirements and push banks to raise as much capital as quickly as possible; the (bank) regulatory response to the 2020 financial crisis has been to reduce bank capital requirements. The latter is much better! I don’t mean that regulators were wrong in 2008; the problem they faced was a crisis of confidence in the banking system, which required them to shore up confidence by increasing capital and implementing stress tests.

But ideally what you want is for banks to have lots of capital in bad times, and then relax those requirements—let them lever up and buy stuff and take deposits and lend and trade Treasuries and generally support the financial system and the economy—when the crisis comes. If you get too lax in the good times, then the crisis becomes a banking crisis and that approach doesn’t work. But if you spend the good times making banks better capitalized and more stress-resistant and generally more credible, then you can spend down some of that credibility in the bad times.

[Reply]
Page 294 of 929
« First < 194244284290291292293294 295296297298304344394794 > Last »
Up