ChiefsPlanet Mobile
View Poll Results: Will the Chiefs draft a quarterback in any round in the next 12 to 15 years?
Yes. Andy likes developmental guys, and we can trade the guy if he's good. 12 85.71%
No. No need. Stock a couple of veterans and give Matt Moore's high school a call if needed. 2 14.29%
Not sure. It depends. There are a lot of factors. It could go either way. 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Will the Chiefs draft a quarterback in the next 12 to 15 years?
Rain Man 05:24 PM 04-01-2020
I'm pondering the question as we do our mock draft, and it made me wonder if we're going to go a decade or more without spending a pick on a quarterback.

The logic traditionally is that you get a veteran backup like Henne or Moore, and then you draft a developmental guy for the #3 spot. But it seems really rare that a #3 guy ever moves up and takes over the #2 spot. It almost seems more likely that they eventually skip #2 and become the #1 guy, ala Tony Romo or maybe a stopgap guy like Case Keenum.

In the Chiefs' case, the odds of a #3 guy taking our starting job is pretty much zero. So do we draft one, or do we just get a couple of cheap veterans to be the backups? Or do you think Andy would still draft young guys in the hopes of developing them and trading them?
[Reply]
staylor26 05:25 PM 04-01-2020
Once Mahomes is more seasoned and his second contract is on the books, I expect us to start drafting backups.
[Reply]
Rain Man 05:27 PM 04-01-2020
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Once Mahomes is more seasoned and his second contract is on the books, I expect us to start drafting backups.
What's the highest round you'd expect?

The only reason I see it would be that a rookie will be cheaper, and Andy might bring him on for the purposes of trading him later. Those are potentially valid reasons, but I don't see a young QB (other than Mahomes) ever taking the field for us.
[Reply]
staylor26 05:29 PM 04-01-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
What's the highest round you'd expect?

The only reason I see it would be that a rookie will be cheaper, and Andy might bring him on for the purposes of trading him later. Those are potentially valid reasons, but I don't see a young QB (other than Mahomes) ever taking the field for us.
4th/5th at the highest. Unless it’s like a 3rd round comp pick.
[Reply]
Chief Northman 05:34 PM 04-01-2020
I’d actually love if they drafted Anthony Gordon this year, but they don’t have the draft picks. That’s probably why Ta’amu was signed...
[Reply]
Megatron96 05:44 PM 04-01-2020
I don't see a good reason for the Chiefs to draft a QB for the foreseeable future. But I won't be surprised of they do anyway, at some point. One reason I can see for drafting one, is as trade capital. Look at what Belichick did multiple times with back-ups that he drafted or whatever. And everyone knows that Andy is a QB whisperer; any QB he gets his hands on ends up being significantly better afterwards. If the draft went a certain way and we had a shot at a quality QB prospect/project, I can see Andy pulling the trigger.

But at no time would I ever think that Andy was looking to replace Patrick with that selection.
[Reply]
CoMoChief 04-02-2020, 11:17 AM
This message has been deleted by CoMoChief.
Dunerdr 12:46 PM 04-02-2020
i think we will take a guy in the 5th about every three years to keep a cheap back up option around.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 11:59 AM 04-10-2020
Yes

They should draft one when they love a guy.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 08:33 AM 04-11-2020
If Mahomes knee is on the back of his leg on a routine basis we'll need to be drafting QB's.

Andy likes a young QB somewhere handy on the roster/PS
[Reply]
Up