ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Thinking of going to Greece - (If they allows US citizens) Anyone been there?
scho63 01:31 PM 08-01-2020
I'm strongly looking at a 12-13 day vacation to Greece, staying on the islands of Corfu, Kefalonia and Zakynthos during late September/early October.

It's always been a place I've wanted to visit but recently I'm getting more and more inspired.

I have no problem bopping around to see ruins in Athens for a full day or two, then take on the lovely beaches across these three great islands in western Greece in the Mediterranean.

Not sure how COVID could or will screw this up but I've been really digging deep at airfares, ferries and hotel pricing.

Anyone been to Greece in the last 5 years who can give some overview and ideas?

The weather at this time?
The good?
The bad?
The surprising?
The overrated?
The underrated?
Problems?
Ease of getting around?
How you were treated?
Overcrowded places?
Quiet places?
Overall quality of food?
Prices in general?
Taking taxis, buses or ferries?

Any help is greatly appreciated. :-)
[Reply]
Mahomes_Is_God 02:22 PM 08-01-2020
You should come vacation in Iowa. We welcome every body, Chiefs fans especially!
[Reply]
BryanBusby 02:29 PM 08-01-2020
You might want to push those plans back. Pretty sure US citizens aren't allowed in Greece.
[Reply]
Bearcat 02:49 PM 08-01-2020
I've been to Athens twice, both times in September. Most recently, stayed close to Acropolis

Still pretty warm in mid-late September, 80s/low 90s. Recommended to do touristy things early in the day, and you'll also beat the crowds.

The good?
Outside of a trip to the Temple of Poseidon, I've stuck around the ruins and it's hard to go wrong. I've done the Acropolis Hill alone and on a tour, and the only downside to the latter is they all start at the same time, so it's much more crowded. Go alone early, and you'll beat the huge crowds. The Acropolis Museum is very interesting.

I'm not huge on tours, but did a Mythological Tour that hit several things, and enjoyed it.

The bad?
The aforementioned crowds... possibly better in October.

The surprising?
Look for performances at Odeon of Herodes Atticus the days you're planning on being in Athens. I saw a performance from the Athens State Orchestra and Prague Philharmonic, performing classic rock, and I was seriously in awe the entire time... sitting in a 2000 year old outdoor theater at the base of Acropolis Hill in freakin' Athens, listening to Pink Floyd and AC/DC performed by an orchestra.
It was pure luck while planning the last trip, but I'd seriously plan another trip around attending another performance like that.

Problems?
I've heard of the typical European scams happening in Athens, but the only one I've encountered was some douchebag grabbing my hand off guard, tying a bracelet around my wrist, and then wanting money for it.... then after coming out of the attraction, they literally walked after me for several minutes wanting their bracelet back. Just the typical safety precautions of traveling abroad, and needing to be direct with idiots trying to sell you something.

Ease of getting around?
Public transportation is pretty easy. I'd say it's good, not great. I've taken the subway/light rail line from the main port to the Acropolis area and it was inexpensive and easy. Once you're in that area, it's very walkable.

How you were treated?
Treated well, no issues. Restaurants are very laid back, to the point where I assume a lot of Americans think it's bad service. Generally fast service when you sit down, but once you get your food, they leave you the hell alone. If you're used to being checked on constantly or you're in a hurry, I could see it as annoying... but, if you've got all day (you're on vacation, after all), just remember you'll probably have to flag someone down once you want your check.

Quiet places?
There are several ruins around Acropolis Hill that are quieter, albeit not terribly interesting unless you're into Greek history. Went to the Temple of Poseidon on a tour and it was quiet, and is quite a ways off the beaten path outside of Athens.

Overall quality of food?
Some of the best food I've had abroad. Chocolat Royal (with some amazing views) and Kuzina are excellent. iFeel Brunch, despite its hokey name, is very good for breakfast.

Prices in general?
No surprises, that I can remember... getting into Athens isn't amazing, since the airport is so far away from everything. No issues with taxis or their light rail though.
[Reply]
Frazod 03:11 PM 08-01-2020
I've been to Greece. For about 10 minutes.

My ship docked at a pier in a desolate harbor surrounded by barren, rocky hills in Crete long enough to take on fuel. There were only a couple of buildings, and a road that disappeared around a hill. On the other side of that hill might have been a beautiful, idyllic Mediterranean village, but I never saw it. I dumped a couple of bags of trash in a dumpster, had a smoke, stood there for a few minutes and then went back aboard the ship. That was it. Hell, at the time I didn't even realize I was in Greece; I thought Crete was an independent country. Only years later, looking at a map, I realized it was Greek territory.

So yes, I've been there.

I realize my input isn't very helpful. :-)
[Reply]
Rain Man 03:20 PM 08-01-2020
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
You might want to push those plans back. Pretty sure US citizens aren't allowed in Greece.
That's what I thought as well. If an American tries to go, the Greeks will block you at a narrow pass and not let you through.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 03:26 PM 08-01-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
That's what I thought as well. If an American tries to go, the Greeks will block you at a narrow pass and not let you through.
:-)

Officially official site:

https://gr.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/
[Reply]
frozenchief 03:34 PM 08-01-2020
Spent several days there a couple of years ago. Wife has extended family there. We were in Athens for a couple of days in June. It was warm but not hot. Great food. Prices were really reasonable. Plan on eating late. Our family normally starts dinner around 8. This was actually early for many places in Greece.

We went to Naphthleon (sp?) and spent some time there. Her family lives close. We went through a lot of ruins, old temples and ampitheatres that are a bit off the beaten path. We also went to Santorini, which is truly gorgeous. One of the most beautiful places I’ve ever been and I live in Alaska.

Not sure you can get there now but I would go back in a heart beat.
[Reply]
Bearcat 03:37 PM 08-01-2020
Originally Posted by Frazod:

I realize my input isn't very helpful. :-)
:-)
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 03:45 PM 08-01-2020
No never been
[Reply]
Kiimo 03:50 PM 08-01-2020
Rick Steve's Europe has several episodes on individual islands.

It looks dreamy which is appropriate because keep dreaming that you're going anytime soon
[Reply]
PHOG 09:50 PM 08-01-2020
Try not to drink any antifreeze on the way or get hung up in an aids tree.
[Reply]
Imon Yourside 12:13 AM 08-02-2020
Say Hi to Tom Hanx while you're there.
[Reply]
Monticore 07:56 AM 08-02-2020
Originally Posted by scho63:
I'm strongly looking at a 12-13 day vacation to Greece, staying on the islands of Corfu, Kefalonia and Zakynthos during late September/early October.

It's always been a place I've wanted to visit but recently I'm getting more and more inspired.

I have no problem bopping around to see ruins in Athens for a full day or two, then take on the lovely beaches across these three great islands in western Greece in the Mediterranean.

Not sure how COVID could or will screw this up but I've been really digging deep at airfares, ferries and hotel pricing.

Anyone been to Greece in the last 5 years who can give some overview and ideas?

The good?
The bad?
The surprising?
The overrated?
The underrated?
Problems?
Ease of getting around?
How you were treated?
Overcrowded places?
Quiet places?
Overall quality of food?
Prices in general?
Taking taxis, buses or ferries?

Any help is greatly appreciated. :-)
Some islands close up a lot of shops restaurants, tourist stuff in October I think it is their offseason and gets cool we were there in September .

I preferred Crete over Athens , We hiked the Samaria gorge which was beautiful but the walk is kind of hard mostly do to rocky path shitty footing, Santorini was great but I would avoid the Volcano hike nothing much to see.
[Reply]
Easy 6 09:37 AM 08-02-2020
#1 on my list would be Thermopylae, I’d love to take in the view of that ancient battleground
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up