ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 14 of 20
« First < 41011121314 15161718 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Anyone ever experience burnout?
Mecca 02:45 PM 07-30-2020
I feel like I'm there, I was there before Covid and feel like it's worse now. I legit have no motivation to do anything and I know I'm pessimistic and not fun to be around for the most part. If anyone wants further stuff I can deep dive but I need some advice because I feel like I'm stuck in the wallow not to escape.
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:24 PM 08-03-2020
Originally Posted by kccrow:
Good stuff Buehler. I won't quote your whole post. I'm assuming now that I've read your post that you're in grain farming based on narrow margins?

Are you big enough to make good use of crop rotation? What about GIS/Geomatics?

Just curious as I've never really been much into the farming world, just looked at it passively on how to increase margins because I work for a GIS company and was trying to see if we could fit Agri into our realm.
Yeah. I farm. Yeah, margins are ass.

I PMd you my email. Dad was a pretty strict rotation guy forever. I’ve been trying to push because frankly I can’t afford to fallow, big part of 2019 being 2019 was dad switched a bunch of acres out of rotation.

I’m pretty efficient on the technology for our size but don’t utilize any telematics. Lots of GIS though.

I’m pretty decent on the nuts and bolts of practical application of different technology systems.

Shoot me an email. I can get you some end user perspective and if I’m too small I can point you to some guys that are big. We aren’t the corn belt, but frankly we have to manage better in a lot of aspects because we can’t make margin like they can. They have some stuff we don’t have to worry about, too.

Shoot me an email.
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:27 PM 08-03-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
I returned to work today after 4.5 months off due to treatment and isolation. I have never felt such an overwhelming sense of dread and emptiness in my entire life.

The only time I've felt something similar is moving schools in third grade, going from a small, private school where multiple grades were in one classroom, to a traditional public school setting where I didn't know a single person in my class.

I think I've come to realize that I like the idea of what my job can be, but I have no taste for the minutiae of what is actually is. I feel even worse because they supported me while I was sick, and now that I'm back I feel like it's the last place in the world I want to be. I felt like that before I took leave, but I assumed that it was the stress of chemo and the uncertainty around COVID. Now I'm realizing that those were contributing factors, not causative.
Bad news Hamas. Are you at least back on your feet health wise?

Don’t make any rash decisions on the job front just yet. Some of the feelings might settle down. Much like 3rd grade (assuming 3rd grade settled down).
[Reply]
tooge 09:28 AM 08-04-2020
I've experienced it. The same thing every day. Go to work, listen to people be a pain in the ass, listen to employees bitch about everything. Go home. Make dinner. Walk dog. Hang with fam. Go to bed. Same shit next day. I seriously thought about going back to school for something totally different. I was in my mid 40's.

I started walking at lunch, making knives at home, fishing more, hunting more, and not listening to the bitching at work. Basically I quit giving a fuck about someone else having a bad day because I wasn't gonna let it affect mine. I'm 53 now and much better. I'm taking more time off work too.
[Reply]
O.city 11:09 AM 08-04-2020
Originally Posted by tooge:
I've experienced it. The same thing every day. Go to work, listen to people be a pain in the ass, listen to employees bitch about everything. Go home. Make dinner. Walk dog. Hang with fam. Go to bed. Same shit next day. I seriously thought about going back to school for something totally different. I was in my mid 40's.

I started walking at lunch, making knives at home, fishing more, hunting more, and not listening to the bitching at work. Basically I quit giving a **** about someone else having a bad day because I wasn't gonna let it affect mine. I'm 53 now and much better. I'm taking more time off work too.
I don't know about you, but i get really tired of hearing excuses from employees why they didn't do this or that, then within the same sentence bitching about not making more money.

I finally realized recently that holding on to an employee too long is a problem. Moving on and doing things different now.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:13 AM 08-04-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
I returned to work today after 4.5 months off due to treatment and isolation. I have never felt such an overwhelming sense of dread and emptiness in my entire life.

The only time I've felt something similar is moving schools in third grade, going from a small, private school where multiple grades were in one classroom, to a traditional public school setting where I didn't know a single person in my class.

I think I've come to realize that I like the idea of what my job can be, but I have no taste for the minutiae of what is actually is. I feel even worse because they supported me while I was sick, and now that I'm back I feel like it's the last place in the world I want to be. I felt like that before I took leave, but I assumed that it was the stress of chemo and the uncertainty around COVID. Now I'm realizing that those were contributing factors, not causative.
I'm with Buehler and not being hasty but maybe not for the same reasons. I've found that if I'm patient, the solution to my problem (a different job) often comes around. I've worked almost 20 years for the same company but in now 7 different roles. I change about every 3 years and it's worked well for me to maintain continuity of benefits and not having the stress of changing companies but still getting a change of role that is refreshing and new.
[Reply]
tooge 11:16 AM 08-04-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
I don't know about you, but i get really tired of hearing excuses from employees why they didn't do this or that, then within the same sentence bitching about not making more money.

I finally realized recently that holding on to an employee too long is a problem. Moving on and doing things different now.
yep.
[Reply]
Mecca 11:32 AM 08-04-2020
You know what else burns me out, dealing with fucking Comcast.
[Reply]
ChiTown 11:42 AM 08-04-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:

This isn't aimed at you. It's just an observation.

I've been in the workforce for 30 years. I have found, all too often, that employers are really bad at sitting down and setting expectations with their employees and following through with them. We overlook, ignore, make exceptions, etc for poor performance in order to make our own job easier, so we don't have to confront and actually "manage" our employees. You end up kicking the can down the road too far until the situation becomes completely untenable.

If you set clear expectations upfront and manage them along the way, it is much easier to attain the expected performance or to move on. jmho
[Reply]
Bugeater 11:46 AM 08-04-2020
I've seen plenty of employers run off very good employees by treating them like garbage while in the same breath bitching about how they can't find good help anymore.

Shit goes both ways.
[Reply]
O.city 12:09 PM 08-04-2020
Originally Posted by ChiTown:
This isn't aimed at you. It's just an observation.

I've been in the workforce for 30 years. I have found, all too often, that employers are really bad at sitting down and setting expectations with their employees and following through with them. We overlook, ignore, make exceptions, etc for poor performance in order to make our own job easier, so we don't have to confront and actually "manage" our employees. You end up kicking the can down the road too far until the situation becomes completely untenable.

If you set clear expectations upfront and manage them along the way, it is much easier to attain the expected performance or to move on. jmho
I've definitely fallen into that before. This time was different, don't wanna get into it here but it is what it is. Glad to have it over and hopefully moving forward.
[Reply]
Eleazar 12:11 PM 08-04-2020
All CP BS aside, CP is not good for people who are in a place where they are feeling down. A break from all social media and maybe all media is in order when these feelings come, IMO. One of the best things you can do for yourself is to unplug.
[Reply]
Bugeater 12:16 PM 08-04-2020
Originally Posted by Eleazar:
All CP BS aside, CP is not good for people who are in a place where they are feeling down. A break from all social media and maybe all media is in order when these feelings come, IMO. One of the best things you can do for yourself is to unplug.
Truth right here. I disconnected quite a bit this spring and early summer. Went and did things to periodically escape from reality.
[Reply]
O.city 12:57 PM 08-04-2020
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
Truth right here. I disconnected quite a bit this spring and early summer. Went and did things to periodically escape from reality.
Definitely.

I'm about to take a bit of a sabbatical myself, probably until the season fires up.

Need a break.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:11 PM 08-04-2020
I did this very thing a couple of years ago and it's absolutely great advice.
[Reply]
suzzer99 02:44 PM 08-04-2020
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
3 years ago my wife and I were on top of the world financially. No mortgage, very little debt, disposable income to do whatever the **** we wanted. And at the same time I was going through the worst work experience of my life. Went through several phases of burnout and depression. Ended up making major changes in our lives, and as a result, all that financial security is gone now. We'll probably never be back where we were, and I couldn't care any less, we're much happier now. You can't buy your sanity back for any amount of money.
I had a job from 2010 to 2017 that was like family. We hung out together regularly, went to each other's weddings, etc. Most days it didn't even feel like going to work. It just felt like going to hang out with your friends and work on cool projects.

That is everything imo. I was part of a village that worked together and looked out for each other. There was even plenty of room for village weirdos like me. If I could have a situation like that my whole life, I don't think I would need much else to be content.
[Reply]
Page 14 of 20
« First < 41011121314 15161718 > Last »
Up