ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 13
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Dont'a Hightower and 4 other Patriots opt out of 2020 season
Shaid 08:14 AM 07-28-2020
https://www.tmz.com/2020/07/27/nfl-p...ytZNH04RUDIiaM

Dont'a Hightower -- a 3-time Super Bowl champion and one of the leaders of the Patriots' defense -- has also chosen to sit out this season.
Hightower, according to NFL Network's Michael Giardi, just had a baby this month ... and his mom also has type 2 diabetes.
"Me and my fiancée are just more concerned with the health of our family than football," Hightower said in a statement to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, "especially the new addition to our family."
The opt-out is a big blow for the Pats, Hightower recorded 71 tackles and 5.5 sacks for New England last season ... but he's also now one of FIVE Patriots choosing to forego the season.
Pats running back Brandon Bolden and offensive linemen Najee Toran and Marcus Cannon have also joined Hightower and fullback Danny Vitale in sitting out 2020.
There could be more on the way as well ... players still have until the end of this week to make opt-out decisions.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 10:47 AM 07-28-2020
Interesting

The reason a lot of players are opting out (besides health reasons) is if you have a lot of guaranteed money this year and the season is cancelled, they risk losing a lot of money

— Jonathan Feliciano (@MongoFeliciano) July 28, 2020

[Reply]
Mecca 10:47 AM 07-28-2020
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Interesting
Didn't think about that, not a bad point.
[Reply]
staylor26 10:48 AM 07-28-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Eddie Goldman is one of the better DT's in the league right now.
He’s the best to opt out, and he’s still not top 100.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:48 AM 07-28-2020
Losing Cannon ain't nothing.

That's their starting RT and one of the few known quantities they could count on year in, year out on that line. He was especially good in pass pro.

That hurts more than Hightower, IMO.
[Reply]
RunKC 10:48 AM 07-28-2020
Eddie Goldman is one of the better DT's in the league right now.
Yup.

Patrick Peterson has diabetes so I'd be stunned if he plays.
Ravens TE Mark Anderson has diabetes. Why would he risk it?

Von Miller has asthma and has already had it, could get another strain. Cameron Heyward also has asthma. Why would he risk it?

Not too mention all these lineman who have high BMI’s. More starting players will continue to opt out
[Reply]
BWillie 10:50 AM 07-28-2020
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Interesting
If that is the case, noone with a large contract with gtd money should play from a financial standpoint.

And the NFL failed at creating the proper incentives to have this season.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:50 AM 07-28-2020
Didn't think about that, not a bad point.
It sure seems penny wise and pound foolish, though.

I mean if it's true that it's a stipend that they're 'borrowing' against future earnings for, they're gonna give it back if they're in the league next year. Meanwhile those that think they'll be out of the league next season and never need to 'repay' it seem to be running the risk of a self-fulfilling prophecy. Time marches on here and if there IS a season and they don't play in it, they're probably done.

For $150K? These guys really that hard-up for money?

I can see it for guys on the fringes of rosters, but established veterans w/ a few years of sizeable paychecks and a few more years of football in front of them - boy that seems an iffy gamble to be taking.
[Reply]
Mecca 10:51 AM 07-28-2020
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Yup.

Von Miller has asthma and has already had it, could get another strain. Cameron Heyward also has asthma. Why would he risk it?

Not too mention all these lineman who have high BMI’s. More starting players will continue to opt out
Basically every nose tackle is obese and that is a super high risk factor, why would they wanna do that? So a real conversation here is what happens if a ton of linemen opt out?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:51 AM 07-28-2020
Yup.

This was the one that immediately stood out to me.

All of these linemen are 'obese' by BMI standards. They're all going to be considered to have co-morbidities.

I was wondering if there wouldn't be an exodus of fat guys.
[Reply]
RunKC 10:54 AM 07-28-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:

All of these linemen are 'obese' by BMI standards. They're all going to be considered to have co-morbidities.

They were talking about that today. Ravens pro bowl RT Orlando Brown Is 345 lbs and has never been in “great” shape (his combine was awful).

There’s rumors he’s considering opting out
[Reply]
Mecca 10:56 AM 07-28-2020

#Vikings NT Michael Pierce is opting out of the 2020 season, sources tell me and @MikeGarafolo. Minnesota’s only big-ticket free agent this year leaves a hole up front on defense.

— Tom Pelissero (@TomPelissero) July 28, 2020

Another lineman, these fat dudes seem concerned.
[Reply]
O.city 11:00 AM 07-28-2020
Yup.

There isn't another "strain".
[Reply]
Mecca 11:02 AM 07-28-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
There isn't another "strain".
A guy at my wifes work caught it twice, and has so far claimed he was told he caught a different straight the second time...not saying he's right or wrong just he said he was told that.
[Reply]
staylor26 11:05 AM 07-28-2020
A guy at my wifes work caught it twice, and has so far claimed he was told he caught a different straight the second time...not saying he's right or wrong just he said he was told that.
:-)
[Reply]
tk13 11:05 AM 07-28-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:

That's kind of the unspoken truth that will never really be said out loud because it might seem offensive, but it's a concern. The NFL probably does have more guys with health concerns if they get this thing just because of BMI.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 13
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Up