ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 6
< 1234 56 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Plumeria- California, Arizona or Florida.
lewdog 07:19 PM 07-17-2020
Weird request, but do any of you living in these areas have a plumeria on your property? I just started growing them this year and I’d love to purchase a cutting from you. Amazing plants. There's literally 1000's of different varieties, sizes, color and smells. The smells can range from candy, perfume or even sun tan lotion! You won't get blooms every year until they're older and established, but the wait is well worth it. Cuttings are simply taken from a plant, dried out for 7-14 days and then placed in well draining soil. It's fairly easy to establish a new plant from a cutting.

My first and only flowering plumeria from May of this year. There's a light, fruity fragrance to this.

[Reply]
eDave 02:22 PM 07-18-2020
You got a lot of room, and cover, for a few weed weeds. I assume you have some steady winds coming off the water?
[Reply]
lewdog 02:25 PM 07-18-2020

Called plunging, put smaller plumeria in pot in larger pot. Protects the roots in the hot desert heat. All my plumerias are in pots currently as they were all cuttings. Once they get more established and have built up their roots, I can likely put them directly in ground. Sometimes they require a shade structure for the first few years and wrapping their trunks in tinfoil to avoid burning.

[Reply]
BigRedChief 02:30 PM 07-18-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
You got a lot of room, and cover, for a few weed weeds. I assume you have some steady winds coming off the water?
I'm supposed to be the vigilant Gardner while she’s out of town. I’ve spent at least a 1/2 hour a day pulling weeds and tending to her stuff. We get storms in the summer almost every day with 30-40 mph winds.
[Reply]
Scooter LaCanforno 02:30 PM 07-18-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Damn, nice property you have with all that. Your plumeria look very healthy. I’ve tried growing banana here but it’s a lot of work in the desert and I’ve been unsuccessful.

They need a lot of water. Mine came from under the fence from my neighbors plants and thrive near a sprinkler head. If you want the bananas to grow, you need to cut down the plant every year. A new plant will grow back quickly that will bear bananas,
[Reply]
lewdog 02:30 PM 07-18-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
How do those grow here....outside if you know, they just happened to find their way next to my peppers and such?
[Reply]
eDave 02:33 PM 07-18-2020
How do those grow here....outside if you know, they just happened to find their way next to my peppers and such?
You don't. Not good anyway. I had a little grow cabinet with all the right lighting depending of growth period (vegitation and flowering).

I ordered it from Wayfair. Was expensive and when I opened it out popped a little Asian kid, which was a surprise. And their return policy sucks.
[Reply]
lewdog 02:35 PM 07-18-2020
Originally Posted by Scooter LaCanforno:
They need a lot of water. Mine came from under the fence from my neighbors plants and thrive near a sprinkler head. If you want the bananas to grow, you need to cut down the plant every year. A new plant will grow back quickly that will bear bananas,
Here it's mostly shade they need as the dry, desert heat in the middle of the summer is too much for them, even with all the water you can give them. They lose to much water evaporation from their huge leaves. Many tropicals can be grown in Phoenix, but need shade after 11 a.m. to survive these weeks of 110+ degree days with very little humidity. So it adds in extra work with companion planting, building shade structures or trying to minimize heat throw off from the brick fences that surround most AZ backyards.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 02:41 PM 07-18-2020
I’ve tried growing banana here but it’s a lot of work in the desert and I’ve been unsuccessful.
heres what we have going. It's a ice cream flavored banana. We use to have several 6 ft. ones with tons of bananas. Then the hurricane came and 3 years later they are still hanging in there trying to grow.
Attached: 7101CA1E-C860-4BDA-918B-3B24E0E95FC3.jpg (138.5 KB) 
[Reply]
Scooter LaCanforno 02:41 PM 07-18-2020
That would be awesome! I know in places like Florida that cuttings are many times normal landscape garbage since they’re so plentiful there.

And do yourself a favor and get one yourself!

That's exactly how my daughter got them. She found them in curbside yard waste while walking her dogs. I'll have her look out for the White ones in her neighborhood.
[Reply]
KS Smitty 02:44 PM 07-18-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
These aren’t Plumeria’s right?
The first and last are mandevilla and the middle ones are bougainvilla.

I grow these as annuals here, they get too massive to try to overwinter after a few seasons.

Plumeria can be found at local nurseries/plant stores as houseplants here, takes them quite a while to get that big as a houseplant.
[Reply]
lewdog 02:45 PM 07-18-2020
heres what we have going.
Holy shit that is just so awesome! I realize how easy things can be there. It's just incredible to me. Easiest things here are citrus and most stone fruits.

That's exactly how my daughter got them. She found them in curbside yard waste while walking her dogs. I'll have her look out for the White ones in her neighborhood.
Amazing man. I figured it might be like that in a place where they are so abundant.

Thanks and great thread today. I appreciate it!
[Reply]
BigRedChief 02:54 PM 07-18-2020
Originally Posted by KS Smitty:
The first and last are mandevilla and the middle ones are bougainvilla.

I grow these as annuals here, they get too massive to try to overwinter after a few seasons.

Plumeria can be found at local nurseries/plant stores as houseplants here, takes them quite a while to get that big as a houseplant.
We got whole trees growing. Guess its a Florida thing.
[Reply]
Scooter LaCanforno 03:09 PM 07-18-2020
heres what we have going. It's a ice cream flavored banana. We use to have several 6 ft. ones with tons of bananas. Then the hurricane came and 3 years later they are still hanging in there trying to grow.
Water them or aim a sprinkler on them. Saw them down in October. Use a hand saw or sawzall. They'll come back quickly.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 02:23 PM 07-19-2020
Water them or aim a sprinkler on them. Saw them down in October. Use a hand saw or sawzall. They'll come back quickly.
I think they are getting crowded out for sunlight. That vine/bush on the right I keep cutting back. Now whatever that thing is on the left I have to cut back to keep it on that side of the fence. What do you think?
Attached: B8E8A11B-FDA7-453B-8A0B-4809C969E37F.jpg (134.2 KB) 
[Reply]
scho63 02:35 AM 07-20-2020
I didn't know one of the symptoms of COVID was turning into Martha Stewart.

If Lewdog asks me for the best China pattern to mix with Southwest decor next, I might have to revoke his CP Phoenix Meetup group. :-)
[Reply]
Page 4 of 6
< 1234 56 >
Up