ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2789 of 3903
« First < 1789228926892739277927852786278727882789 279027912792279327992839288932893789 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
tk13 08:49 PM 08-05-2020
Originally Posted by Strongside:
I understand this thing is deadly. I understand there are certain members of society who are at more risk than others.

That said, the whole 2-3 years of social distancing thing doesn't seem realistic to me.

The past few months have felt like years. I don't know that society is willing to say "alright, I'll forego 2-3 years of my life so that we can fully get this thing under control."

I just simply don't see it. You can disagree if you want, but I don't. I have colleagues in our Berlin office who say that Berlin is essentially back to life as usual. No masks, no distancing, etc.

We'll get this thing under control at some point. And I don't think it'll be 2-3 years.
I don't think we entirely know where we'll be in a year, let alone 3.

That said, it's pretty much a lock that other countries are going to be back to normal and we'll probably still be fighting it because we just have too much spread going on. Especially if schools do end up spreading this thing worse. There's not really a way around that.
[Reply]
loochy 09:06 PM 08-05-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
:-)

I need some Test E man!
PM me if for real
[Reply]
PHOG 09:12 PM 08-05-2020
I understand this thing is deadly. I understand there are certain members of society who are at more risk than others.

That said, the whole 2-3 years of social distancing thing doesn't seem realistic to me.

We'll get this thing under control at some point. And I don't think it'll be 2-3 years.
Not according to msm.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 09:20 PM 08-05-2020
Many European countries, including Germany, France, and Spain, among others, are seeing cases rise again. They haven’t beat it all in regards to cases or things being normal.
[Reply]
suzzer99 09:21 PM 08-05-2020
Originally Posted by staylor26:
You’re so full of shit. Not to mention it’s supposed to be mask AND 6 feet.
I don't know what's going on in that first pic, but that clearly isn't a normal protest. The only source(s) I can find for it seems to be 100s of identical click-bait articles:

https://www.google.com/search?tbs=sb...0op6mDCA&hl=en

I'll grant you that the other pics were not 99% compliance. A lot of the pictures you didn't choose from that search I posted had near 100% mask compliance. I went to a protest in LA that was 100% mask compliance. My argument still holds a lot of water at 90% compliance or even 80% vs. zero mask compliance going out of your way to scream in people's faces.

Who gives a shit about 6 feet? That's something you added. I only made the comment about masks - which make the lion's share of the difference. 6 feet or a mask is probably good enough. Almost all the people in your pics have masks, which the probably put in when they're in close quarters or not marching. It's not perfect but it's a lot better than doing nothing.
[Reply]
staylor26 09:28 PM 08-05-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
I don't know what's going on in that first pic, but that clearly isn't a normal protest.

A lot of the pictures you didn't choose from that search I posted had near 100% mask compliance. I went to a protest in LA that was 100% mask compliance.

Who gives a shit about 6 feet? That's something you added. I only made the comment about masks - which make the lion's share of the difference.
There are several people in all of those pics without their mask. It’s nowhere close to “over 99%” like you said.

And “6 feet” is relevant because all of this started with the potential dangers of spread. If you can look at those pictures and tell me you don’t see that the risk of spread is high, it’s because you’re biased, which I already know you are.
[Reply]
suzzer99 09:31 PM 08-05-2020
I don't see a huge risk in those pics, no. I don't see zero risk either. Pretty much everyone at least has a mask they can put on if they stop moving and get in tight.

FWIW I wasn't one going nuts about the other protests either - except when they get in close for an extended period with no masks, and especially when they scream in other people's faces.

The point is the pics you showed, and this, are nowhere close to identical risk level - which was the claim I responded to.

This one is even indoors ffs.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 09:34 PM 08-05-2020

The past few months have felt like years. I don't know that society is willing to say "alright, I'll forego 2-3 years of my life so that we can fully get this thing under control."

I just simply don't see it. You can disagree if you want, but I don't. I have colleagues in our Berlin office who say that Berlin is essentially back to life as usual. No masks, no distancing, etc.

Society wouldn't have to forego 2 to 3 years of life if society would have taken it as seriously as Germany. Berlin is back to mostly normal because among other things they did social distancing.

I think the odds are good for a decent vaccine within the next six months.

Without a vaccine, there will still be people distancing 2 to 3 years from now and it will still be having a negative effect on the economy.

Cheap, fast, and widely available tests would also be a game changer. I expect that sooner than two to three years.
[Reply]
staylor26 09:48 PM 08-05-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
I don't see a huge risk in those pics, no. I don't see zero risk either. Pretty much everyone at least has a mask they can put on if they stop moving and get in tight.

FWIW I wasn't one going nuts about the other protests either - except when they get in close for an extended period with no masks, and especially when they scream in other people's faces.

The point is the pics you showed, and this, are nowhere close to identical risk level - which was the claim I responded to.

This one is even indoors ffs.
That was one protest compared to thousands of people gathering in different cities all over the country for WEEKS. Get the fuck out of here with your one-sided bullshit. You also went from “over 99%” to a complete moving of the goalposts.

You’re just seeing what you want to see because you’re biased:

Also, how many of these people have masks that are THAT effective when thousands are crowded shoulder to shoulder? Do you see how many have a mask, but are not wearing it? Just because somebody has a mask on doesn’t mean they had it on the entire time. Are you not capable of that level of critical thinking or is it just your bias?
[Reply]
kgrund 09:50 PM 08-05-2020
So the virus burning out has been widely discussed on this board and people think this will be a problem a year from now even with no vaccine? Burnout means major problem over. Right?
[Reply]
Bugeater 10:07 PM 08-05-2020
Originally Posted by tk13:
I don't think we entirely know where we'll be in a year, let alone 3.

That said, it's pretty much a lock that other countries are going to be back to normal and we'll probably still be fighting it because we just have too much spread going on. Especially if schools do end up spreading this thing worse. There's not really a way around that.
Other countries don't have schools?
[Reply]
mr. tegu 10:12 PM 08-05-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Pagan:
Society wouldn't have to forego 2 to 3 years of life if society would have taken it as seriously as Germany. Berlin is back to mostly normal because among other things they did social distancing.

I think the odds are good for a decent vaccine within the next six months.

Without a vaccine, there will still be people distancing 2 to 3 years from now and it will still be having a negative effect on the economy.

Cheap, fast, and widely available tests would also be a game changer. I expect that sooner than two to three years.

German doctors and officials are talking about the start of their second wave having arrived as cases continue to rise. They are warning among other things that elective surgeries are at risk of being cancelled again soon. Thousands are protesting in Berlin and across the country about lockdowns and face masks requirements. Citizens are urged to avoid non essential travel to basically all of their neighbors. Despite rising cases schools are starting there next week as well. I wouldn’t classify things as normal there nor just assume it won’t keep getting worst as far as case numbers.
[Reply]
suzzer99 10:16 PM 08-05-2020
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Also, how many of these people have masks that are THAT effective when thousands are crowded shoulder to shoulder? Do you see how many have a mask, but are not wearing it? Just because somebody has a mask on doesn’t mean they had it on the entire time. Are you not capable of that level of critical thinking or is it just your bias?
Great, you got people yelling when they have their bullhorns out, outside, w/o someone standing right in front of them.

Are you trying to claim that the anti-mask protest indoor and these BLM protests are the same risk level? Because that is the point I was replying to.

Also why haven't we seen outbreaks if these are as risky as you seem to think they are?
[Reply]
suzzer99 10:19 PM 08-05-2020
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
German doctors and officials are talking about the start of their second wave having arrived as cases continue to rise. They are warning among other things that elective surgeries are at risk of being cancelled again soon. Thousands are protesting in Berlin and across the country about lockdowns and face masks requirements. Citizens are urged to avoid non essential travel to basically all of their neighbors. Despite rising cases schools are starting there next week as well. I wouldn’t classify things as normal there nor just assume it won’t keep getting worst as far as case numbers.
Germany had that one big anti-mask protest, and all the govt is asking is that they wear masks and take reasonable precautions:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53622797

Originally Posted by :
Police ordered demonstrators to disperse at the end of the afternoon. They said they had launched legal action against organisers for not respecting coronavirus hygiene rules.

Health Minister Jens Spahn criticised people for failing to adhere to regulations, including the 1.5m (5ft) social distancing requirement.

"Yes, demonstrations should be allowed even amid the pandemic. But not like this," he wrote on Twitter.

Social distancing rules and hygiene requirements apply throughout the country, and people must wear face-coverings in shops and on public transport. Mandatory testing has been introduced for holidaymakers returning from high-risk areas.

[Reply]
tk13 10:19 PM 08-05-2020
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
Other countries don't have schools?
Sure seems like a lot of other countries opened schools with success. But many of them also had far less cases. Hopefully we don't have problems but we're about to find out. I'm not sure there's another example comparable to what we're about to do. Seems like the elementary kids are fairly low risk but the high schoolers are a different story.
[Reply]
Page 2789 of 3903
« First < 1789228926892739277927852786278727882789 279027912792279327992839288932893789 > Last »
Up