ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1793 of 3903
« First < 793129316931743178317891790179117921793 179417951796179718031843189322932793 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Kidd Lex 10:49 AM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
:-)

There certainly aren't any easy answers. I'm, personally, a lot more optimistic that we'll have a vaccine far earlier than 18-24 months, but it's certainly not guaranteed.
I’ve watched in depth videos and read journals on the work being done on the vaccine that I only understand every 5th word and would put most people to sleep, and I’m 99% certain that even if we don’t have a 100% effective vaccine by years end, we will have a vaccine going to health care professionals that will both be safe and effective by years end. That vaccine may later need boosters or another vaccine, but the medical professionals I’ve researched are very bullish on effective vaccine prospects. The one place that continues to throw shade towards that are the Chinese researchers. The South Korea finding that the virus rna has a 3 month half life and that the people testing positive later were because of dead virus rna was HUGE news that didn’t get a ton of play.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:51 AM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Oh, I'm not saying where we'll be death wise. But as this paper said, it woudl significantly slow the spread and accompanied with common sense stuff maybe it woudl be enough.
Yeah, I suppose maybe the logic is something like this (numbers mostly just made up):

-No restrictions of any sort, everything is normal = 1.5 million people dead by mid-2021
-Restrictions on concerts, sporting events, and conventions only = 400k people dead by mid-2021
-Full lockdown like we've had in the past month = 300k people dead by 2021

So the gist is that we'll get MOST of the benefit just by restricting the major sources of spread and that the restrictions on all of the smaller things only provide a small, incremental benefit.
[Reply]
O.city 10:52 AM 05-03-2020
You could do some emergency human stuff with the vaccines where you give it to people, purposely introduce the antigen and watch results.

It wades into some pretty weird ethically issues though.
[Reply]
dlphg9 10:52 AM 05-03-2020
I have what might be a stupid question, but oh well. We keep talking about herd immunity and that it is a way to eradicate COVID-19. Is there an example of a disease that we reached herd immunity without the use of vaccines? Hell we don't even know for sure that you cant become reinfected.
[Reply]
Bowser 10:52 AM 05-03-2020
Frankly, I wish more people would just get over it and argue in those terms. It's the "lives are priceless" BS that I don't really think is productive.

While it's harsh, those are the kinds of decisions we're really talking about here, and I wish we could just be more clear about it.

For the record, I personally don't think I'm willing to throw up my hands and accept that level of death, but I don't think you're a bad person for suggesting that it wouldn't be the end of the world.
This is a good take and I agree 100% with it.

How do you juggle not wanting large swaths of people to lose their lives with trying to make sure the country remains solvent? As you said, there are no easy answers as of right now.
[Reply]
Monticore 10:54 AM 05-03-2020
Are you OK with that if we end up with 1.5 million deaths? Not saying it'll happen, but it's well within the range of possibilities.
It could end up being our normal having to deal with 200-500k deaths a year , just didn’t want it to be plan a
[Reply]
notorious 10:54 AM 05-03-2020
Frankly, I wish more people would just get over it and argue in those terms. It's the "lives are priceless" BS that I don't really think is productive.

While it's harsh, those are the kinds of decisions we're really talking about here, and I wish we could just be more clear about it.

For the record, I personally don't think I'm willing to throw up my hands and accept that level of death, but I don't think you're a bad person for suggesting that it wouldn't be the end of the world.
It's real.

It's the truth.
[Reply]
O.city 10:54 AM 05-03-2020
Yeah, I suppose maybe the logic is something like this (numbers mostly just made up):

-No restrictions of any sort, everything is normal = 1.5 million people dead by mid-2021
-Restrictions on concerts, sporting events, and conventions only = 400k people dead by mid-2021
-Full lockdown like we've had in the past month = 300k people dead by 2021

So the gist is that we'll get MOST of the benefit just by restricting the major sources of spread and that the restrictions on all of the smaller things only provide a small, incremental benefit.
Could be. I've had 3 cups of coffee this morning and have been reading so i'm fried but that could make sense.

If in fact the "percent immunity" were in the 20's or 30's, that could explain NYC slow curve and growth or it could be the lock down.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:56 AM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
I have what might be a stupid question, but oh well. We keep talking about herd immunity and that it is a way to eradicate COVID-19. Is there an example of a disease that we reached herd immunity without the use of vaccines? Hell we don't even know for sure that you cant become reinfected.
It's mostly been done with the assistance of vaccines as far as I know. But we haven't had anything quite this virulent either.
[Reply]
O.city 10:57 AM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
H1N1 original strain. Anything before the advent of vaccines etc. Alot of things we have gotten to that point with viruses that weren't worth the amount of cost to put into vaccine development.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 10:58 AM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
All the asymptomatic Petri dish children running around sharing it and taking it home to their parents.

Wonderful idea!
I think me and a lot are to the point of saying fuck it. Ill take my chances. We have a few treatments available if needed now and most are asymptomatic. I know there are others with opposing view points but we are where we are and nobody is going back.
[Reply]
O.city 10:58 AM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
It could end up being our normal having to deal with 200-500k deaths a year , just didn’t want it to be plan a
I don't think it would continue for that long. Eventually, you'd get viral mutation or something I'd think.
[Reply]
O.city 11:02 AM 05-03-2020
If it's in fact the case that there's no shown passing from kids to adults, that would help with getting schools and such back. The school thing is such a tough equation with this because of so many kids getting food and general care from school they don't get at home.

My mom runs the cafeterias in the town i grew up in schools and they've been doing lunches and she set up a "take home" program during this. She's been going in and preparing meals and such that they have families come pick up if needed. They were doing 500 meals per day in a town with a population of about 3k. I'm sure there are some that don't necessarily need them, but for the most part it's needed.

Sad.
[Reply]
Monticore 11:05 AM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Yeah. I translated the article from Dutch so the reading was not easy.
We would need to know how accurate these antibodies tests are , some numbers just don’t explain what they are seeing in NYC, I assume the numbers will end up being lower than expected for both deaths and hospitalizations
[Reply]
O.city 11:08 AM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
We would need to know how accurate these antibodies tests are , some numbers just don’t explain what they are seeing in NYC, I assume the numbers will end up being lower than expected for both deaths and hospitalizations
I think we've gotten to the point that we can say NY is just an outlier. Something has happened there thats just different. So far atleast.
[Reply]
Page 1793 of 3903
« First < 793129316931743178317891790179117921793 179417951796179718031843189322932793 > Last »
Up