ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1020 of 1208
« First < 20520920970101010161017101810191020 1021102210231024103010701120 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Fire Me Boy! What's For Dinner? Thread
Buehler445 08:45 AM 07-15-2015
Since the other one got too big, let's keep the food truck rolling. Whacha got?

Vol 2. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=285408
[Reply]
cooper barrett 02:26 PM 07-12-2020
What are you using for a smoker?

I started smoking grocery store briskets, then got turned on to chuck rolls (clod) from restraunt suppliers before heading to quality briskets (I tried grocery store sale briskets and wasn't impressed), After triming and then slicing them down the middle, appling a dry rub, chilling, then smoking just like a brisket.

Chuck roll has been more expensive than Packer brisket recently but IMHO I like it better and takes less time. If you can find a prime or with luck a waghu grade chuck roll I suggest giving it a try.

https://tbrbeef.com/products/america...t=668321644563

What are you using for a smoker?

Originally Posted by SAUTO:
I've smoked whole chickens, pork butt, pork side ribs, burgers, sausage, and stuffed jalapenos in the past couple weeks.

I think a brisket is next.

[Reply]
Coogs 04:36 PM 07-12-2020
Originally Posted by RubberSponge:
Most BBQ joints just source their sausage from a local butcher.
That is really not an option for me... as far as I know. We have a local butcher, but I have never seen that kind of sausage on their shelves/menu. I may ask next time.
[Reply]
Coogs 04:40 PM 07-12-2020
Originally Posted by srvy:
This seems like a great recipe gonna bookmark and get too it as soon as have the time.
That's what I thought. We have a KitchenAid mixer, and I am thinking about getting this attachment to grind and stuff susage links:

https://www.amazon.com/Grinder-Attac...a-875714021173
[Reply]
Abba-Dabba 06:15 PM 07-12-2020
Originally Posted by Coogs:
That is really not an option for me... as far as I know. We have a local butcher, but I have never seen that kind of sausage on their shelves/menu. I may ask next time.
That sucks. If they don't make their own, maybe they know a good source where they can order some fresh sausage for you. Considering your complaint, a fresh sausage is really the only way to go.
[Reply]
Coogs 06:47 PM 07-12-2020
That sucks. If they don't make their own, maybe they know a good source where they can order some fresh sausage for you. Considering your complaint, a fresh sausage is really the only way to go.
Thanks!
[Reply]
mlyonsd 06:51 PM 07-12-2020
Originally Posted by Coogs:
That's what I thought. We have a KitchenAid mixer, and I am thinking about getting this attachment to grind and stuff susage links:

https://www.amazon.com/Grinder-Attac...a-875714021173
I've got the first generating grinder attachment but it didn't come with the stuffer. The outside casing is plastic but does a good job at grinding. Just an FYI, I think this one looks like an improvement.
[Reply]
Coogs 07:09 PM 07-12-2020
Originally Posted by mlyonsd:
I've got the first generating grinder attachment but it didn't come with the stuffer. The outside casing is plastic but does a good job at grinding. Just an FYI, I think this one looks like an improvement.
I'm gonna try it. Just placed my order. Thanks for the info! :-)
[Reply]
cooper barrett 07:31 PM 07-12-2020
Mine local bbq only serves sausage as a special one day a week.

It is made 100% in house.

My local butcher (extreamly expensive) has a handful of sausages with a few on a rotating basis.

As I recall Fritz's, Warner's, and Bichelmeyer Meats were good sources, along with a place in City Market and a couple of small wholesale places.

The Price Chopper Watt's Mill used to make couple of sausage blends.

My local "INDY" butcher has this offering right now

https://shop.smokinggoose.com/coppa-...-award-winner/

Most BBQ joints just source their sausage from a local butcher.

[Reply]
Sorry 10:58 AM 07-13-2020
Anyone ever try to make their own BBQ sauce?
[Reply]
Abba-Dabba 11:13 AM 07-13-2020
Originally Posted by cooper barrett:
Mine local bbq only serves sausage as a special one day a week.

It is made 100% in house.

My local butcher (extreamly expensive) has a handful of sausages with a few on a rotating basis.

As I recall Fritz's, Warner's, and Bichelmeyer Meats were good sources, along with a place in City Market and a couple of small wholesale places.

The Price Chopper Watt's Mill used to make couple of sausage blends.

My local "INDY" butcher has this offering right now

https://shop.smokinggoose.com/coppa-...-award-winner/
Hot Links at least should be a daily daily.

I can find fresh sausage, from andouille to chorizo to linguica to jalepeno cheddar to pretty much you name it, except for rattlesnake and pheasant sausage for 3.99 to 5.99/lb from a local butcher.

That vendor sure is proud. I mean, $10 for a 3/4 of a pound of sausage. What kind of idiot pays that price?
[Reply]
cooper barrett 01:24 PM 07-13-2020
Google Chris

As an IN "vendor" he sure is known outside of the region for the products he produces.

I said he was pricy and even posted a price for 3 sausages shipped to your door.

https://www.pbs.org/video/smoking-goose-wrpms6/

Hot Links at least should be a daily daily.

I can find fresh sausage, from andouille to chorizo to linguica to jalepeno cheddar to pretty much you name it, except for rattlesnake and pheasant sausage for 3.99 to 5.99/lb from a local butcher.

That vendor sure is proud. I mean, $10 for a 3/4 of a pound of sausage. What kind of idiot pays that price?

[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:19 PM 07-13-2020
Originally Posted by Sorry:
Anyone ever try to make their own BBQ sauce?
I've tried a handful of times.

It's....fine. It's better than that Kraft shit and KC Masterpiece. But in the end I realized that I'm not making anything demonstrably better than Firebug, Night of the Living or Head Country.

It's a little like hot sauce in that regard, I've tried to make my own hot sauces as well and they're fine - they work. But I don't find myself reaching for them over basic Crystal hot sauce or some of the more exotic stuff I can get from places like Pepper Palace.

I do make my own mustard sauce, though. It's kinda tough to get my hands on a good mustard sauce outside of the Carolinas. Even something like Maurice's isn't easy to get ahold of and it's basic enough to make that I just mix up my own.

But a good 'red' sauce, be it vinegar or molasses based, is gonna require a shitload of work to get past what I can get in a bottle. I'd have to boil down tomatoes and stuff and that's just more than I'm willing to do. If I'm gonna do something half-assed and start from a ketchup base or something like that, why even bother? People that do this for a living have dialed in some damn good sauces I can pay $4 for and unscrew a lid.
[Reply]
cooper barrett 03:06 PM 07-13-2020
I find premium store brands and heat them up and add some seasonings, My Moose(smoked Goast pepper mix) dust, and sometimes some drippings from a recent smoke.
I add pork/ beef/ chicken and root veggie stock cooked down the point that it sticks to a spoon without dripping after tasting. Some of this complex, silky, and spoonable delicacy is added to the store bought sauce.
Krogers PS "inspired" sauces are what I have been amping up with heat and complexity. Their coffee infused was the best base I have used so far and a IPA ale, vinagar/ mustard BBQ sauce cranks up a few notches when "Kicked Up" a bit.

And KC Masterpeice was great when made small batch under the Dr. Davis's control vs. the price per nana ounce crap made by Clorox who changed recipe and ingrediants to the trash it is now.

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I've tried a handful of times.

It's....fine. It's better than that Kraft shit and KC Masterpiece. But in the end I realized that I'm not making anything demonstrably better than Firebug, Night of the Living or Head Country.

It's a little like hot sauce in that regard, I've tried to make my own hot sauces as well and they're fine - they work. But I don't find myself reaching for them over basic Crystal hot sauce or some of the more exotic stuff I can get from places like Pepper Palace.

I do make my own mustard sauce, though. It's kinda tough to get my hands on a good mustard sauce outside of the Carolinas. Even something like Maurice's isn't easy to get ahold of and it's basic enough to make that I just mix up my own.

But a good 'red' sauce, be it vinegar or molasses based, is gonna require a shitload of work to get past what I can get in a bottle. I'd have to boil down tomatoes and stuff and that's just more than I'm willing to do. If I'm gonna do something half-assed and start from a ketchup base or something like that, why even bother? People that do this for a living have dialed in some damn good sauces I can pay $4 for and unscrew a lid.

[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:33 PM 07-13-2020
Originally Posted by cooper barrett:
I find premium store brands and heat them up and add some seasonings, My Moose(smoked Goast pepper mix) dust, and sometimes some drippings from a recent smoke.
I add pork/ beef/ chicken and root veggie stock cooked down the point that it sticks to a spoon without dripping after tasting. Some of this complex, silky, and spoonable delicacy is added to the store bought sauce.
Krogers PS "inspired" sauces are what I have been amping up with heat and complexity. Their coffee infused was the best base I have used so far and a IPA ale, vinagar/ mustard BBQ sauce cranks up a few notches when "Kicked Up" a bit.

And KC Masterpeice was great when made small batch under the Dr. Davis's control vs. the price per nana ounce crap made by Clorox who changed recipe and ingrediants to the trash it is now.
Yeah, that's also a good route.

Find something you like a tailor a bit to your specific tastes. I do that with hot sauces especially. It's hard to find a good hot sauce that adds heat without using habaneros and I just do not care for the flavor of habaneros at all. I grow ghost peppers and love the flavor of those, so I dry and grind them up. I'll simmer a little butter w/ garlic and ghost pepper flakes, then add that to a thicker hot sauce (Franks is fine) to make a nice hot sauce w/ a good fruity flavor from the ghost peppers and plenty of kick with a garlic finish.

Ultimately I don't dick with Night of the Living because I'm not sure what I'd do to improve it. It's just good stuff.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 05:35 PM 07-13-2020
I don't know why, but I'll eat hot wings all day long but hot sauce on my bbq can kindly go fuck off. Same way with vinegar based shit and dumping a wad of coleslaw allover everything.

Too distracting from the true flavor.
[Reply]
Page 1020 of 1208
« First < 20520920970101010161017101810191020 1021102210231024103010701120 > Last »
Up