ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 208 of 361
« First < 108158198204205206207208 209210211212218258308 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Space Exploration megathread
DaFace 09:40 AM 06-01-2014
Since a number of cool things are happening in space exploration these days, we'll widen the scope of this thread a smidge. Conversation about all things space exploration are welcome, whether it be from NASA, SpaceX, ULA, Blue Origin, or anyone else. Chances are most of the discussion will still be about SpaceX since they love to make things public and fun, but nothing's off limits. I'll eventually get around to modifying the OP to include resources for other companies too, but in the meantime, feel free to post any cool stuff you run across.

Lists of Upcoming Missions

Spoiler!

How to Watch a Live Launch
Spoiler!

Where to Learn More
Spoiler!

Glossary
Spoiler!

[Reply]
tmax63 02:58 PM 07-30-2020
Inner space, outer space there isn't that much difference...…..
[Reply]
eDave 03:22 PM 07-30-2020
This is the first time I've really actually heard the roar of the thing as it heads out. It must sound massive in person. It's an awesome sound.
[Reply]
Donger 03:31 PM 07-30-2020
Mark your calendars this Sunday for The Return of Bob and Doug:

Weather permitting, NASA and SpaceX are targeting 2:42 p.m. EDT Sunday, Aug. 2, for the splashdown and conclusion of the Demo-2 test flight mission, which is part of NASA’s Commercial Crew Program. The SpaceX Crew Dragon spacecraft, named Endeavour, lifted off May 30 on the company’s Falcon 9 rocket from Launch Complex 39A at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida.
[Reply]
Scooter LaCanforno 05:05 PM 07-30-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
This is the first time I've really actually heard the roar of the thing as it heads out. It must sound massive in person. It's an awesome sound.
I was at the Cape today for this launch. That was the loudest rocket I've heard since the Space Shuttle. It was shaking the metal doors behind me.
[Reply]
DaFace 06:04 PM 07-30-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Mark your calendars this Sunday for The Return of Bob and Doug:

Weather permitting, NASA and SpaceX are targeting 2:42 p.m. EDT Sunday, Aug. 2, for the splashdown and conclusion of the Demo-2 test flight mission, which is part of NASA’s Commercial Crew Program. The SpaceX Crew Dragon spacecraft, named Endeavour, lifted off May 30 on the company’s Falcon 9 rocket from Launch Complex 39A at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida.
Wonder if they'll have to put them in the Gulf. There's a hurricane bearing down on Florida on the Atlantic side.
[Reply]
DaFace 06:22 PM 07-30-2020
This weekend could be a lot of fun. On top of Bob and Doug coming home, SpaceX will hopefully be ready to hop Starship SN5. No set date and time on that one, but probably Sunday or Monday at the earliest.

pic.twitter.com/8lpvwbeC4R

— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) July 30, 2020

[Reply]
DaFace 08:04 PM 07-31-2020
Looks like they think that weather in the Gulf will be OK on Sunday.

NEWS: Teams from @NASA and @SpaceX remain GO with plans to bring @Astro_Doug and @AstroBehnken home to Earth on Sunday afternoon. We will continue to monitor weather before undocking Saturday night. Read more: https://t.co/GjXe4q6tQA

— Jim Bridenstine (@JimBridenstine) August 1, 2020

It's probably not going to be the most engaging television, but departure is tomorrow night at 7:34 p.m. EDT. Splashdown will be much more of a stress-inducer and is scheduled for 2:42 p.m. EDT on Sunday.
[Reply]
DaFace 08:07 PM 07-31-2020
Also, I'm not sure if anyone else is geeky enough to care like I do, but Gwynne Shotwell is scheduled to be at the post-splashdown press conference. I love her interviews. She takes Elon's insanity and compresses it into a plan that's actually achievable.
[Reply]
Donger 09:54 AM 08-01-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Wonder if they'll have to put them in the Gulf. There's a hurricane bearing down on Florida on the Atlantic side.
Sounding like it. I read that they have four potential recovery areas to pick from. Does that mean that they have four different recovery ships on those areas?
[Reply]
Donger 10:05 AM 08-01-2020
This is cool!

https://spacexfleet.com/next-2/
[Reply]
Donger 10:07 AM 08-01-2020

Visual of the two sites in red.

Scrollable map: https://t.co/PLa4xeEA7q pic.twitter.com/gzT0OaERmy

— Gavin - SpaceXFleet.com (@SpaceXFleet) July 31, 2020

[Reply]
DaFace 10:41 AM 08-01-2020
This is cool!

https://spacexfleet.com/next-2/
Yeah, that's a nice resource. Cool.

To your earlier question, I would assume that the decision set is winnowed down as we get closer to the window. I know they started with 7 options, and you had alluded to 4. Now it looks like they're down to 2. So they probably just need to move the recovery ships to the right place, but I bet they can do that in 12 hours or so on either side.
[Reply]
Donger 10:51 AM 08-01-2020
Yeah, that's a nice resource. Cool.

To your earlier question, I would assume that the decision set is winnowed down as we get closer to the window. I know they started with 7 options, and you had alluded to 4. Now it looks like they're down to 2. So they probably just need to move the recovery ships to the right place, but I bet they can do that in 12 hours or so on either side.
Makes sense. I shudder to think of the math required to get the accuracy needed. Those really don't look very far off land.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:55 AM 08-01-2020
Makes sense. I shudder to think of the math required to get the accuracy needed. Those really don't look very far off land.
Eh, it's super complex I'm sure, but it's also super predictable, and the equations haven't really changed since the early days of space flight. These days, I'm sure computers can figure it out nearly instantly.
[Reply]
Donger 11:18 AM 08-01-2020
Eh, it's super complex I'm sure, but it's also super predictable, and the equations haven't really changed since the early days of space flight. These days, I'm sure computers can figure it out nearly instantly.
I looked it up. Some of the Mercury and Gemini flights were off by tens of kilometers. One was 400. No worse than 5 kilometers for Apollo.
[Reply]
Page 208 of 361
« First < 108158198204205206207208 209210211212218258308 > Last »
Up