ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 146 of 205
« First < 4696136142143144145146 147148149150156196 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>****OFFICIAL NBA Regular Season Thread****
dirk digler 10:59 AM 12-25-2011
Let's get it on... finally
Pitt Gorilla 08:44 PM 08-04-2020
Originally Posted by lcarus:
Yeah exactly. And really most shoot around 30%. Which is abysmal considering NOBODY CLOSES OUT on ****ing shooters anymore. I'm not a fan of Lebron but at least he takes it into the god damn paint. Not like the rest of the league who seem scared to mix it up inside because it might mess up their hair. What ever happened to players mixing it up in the ****ing post. You could kick it in to Shaq or Hakeem or Ewing on the block and let them go to work. Even a lot of the guards had respectable post-up games.

I guess I just feel like ranting about the NBA. I caught some videos of old 90s games recently and it was so much better back then. I hear a lot of players didn't want to come back this year. Well they should've shut it down and never brought it back. See how they liked them apples.
:-)
BigCatDaddy 09:40 PM 08-04-2020
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
Why are you :-)?, Ratings prove he is correct.
lcarus 11:37 PM 08-04-2020
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
Ratings or not, I enjoyed the hell out of the 90s, and I can hardly watch it now. I want to like it but it's tough.
BWillie 10:35 AM 08-05-2020
Originally Posted by lcarus:
Yeah exactly. And really most shoot around 30%. Which is abysmal considering NOBODY CLOSES OUT on ****ing shooters anymore. I'm not a fan of Lebron but at least he takes it into the god damn paint. Not like the rest of the league who seem scared to mix it up inside because it might mess up their hair. What ever happened to players mixing it up in the ****ing post. You could kick it in to Shaq or Hakeem or Ewing on the block and let them go to work. Even a lot of the guards had respectable post-up games.

I guess I just feel like ranting about the NBA. I caught some videos of old 90s games recently and it was so much better back then. I hear a lot of players didn't want to come back this year. Well they should've shut it down and never brought it back. See how they liked them apples.
I agree about the closing out on shooters part. You can't really even guard a 3point shot anymore. Especially against floppers and crafy guys like Harden. They'll fall forward towards you, kick their leg out, "break" their ankles when they hit the ground. Refs call everything on those due to the protecting the shooter BS. Way way way too many fouls called on 3 point attempts. IMO - if you go up for a shot, release it, unless you are completely straight up you may land against a player and that is just basketball. I saw Harden shoot a 3, kick a guy in the nuts, and the guy got called for a foul. Usually those are re viewable to see if dangerous intent but I guess they just don't care.

The way the NBA is reffed highly favors floppers and less physical players that are crafy. LeBron is very physical, and gets punished for it. The amount of fouls LeBron should get called on his drives and post ups is way way too low if you compare them to guys like Harden.
BigCatDaddy 12:10 PM 08-05-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
I agree about the closing out on shooters part. You can't really even guard a 3point shot anymore. Especially against floppers and crafy guys like Harden. They'll fall forward towards you, kick their leg out, "break" their ankles when they hit the ground. Refs call everything on those due to the protecting the shooter BS. Way way way too many fouls called on 3 point attempts. IMO - if you go up for a shot, release it, unless you are completely straight up you may land against a player and that is just basketball. I saw Harden shoot a 3, kick a guy in the nuts, and the guy got called for a foul. Usually those are re viewable to see if dangerous intent but I guess they just don't care.

The way the NBA is reffed highly favors floppers and less physical players that are crafy. LeBron is very physical, and gets punished for it. The amount of fouls LeBron should get called on his drives and post ups is way way too low if you compare them to guys like Harden.
Wait wut? Leflop not a flopper? Next to Harden he is known as the biggest flopper in the NBA :-)
dirk digler 12:34 PM 08-05-2020
NBA doing it right so far

There were no positive COVID-19 cases in the latest round of testing in the NBA bubble. pic.twitter.com/3Bq99YbsS1

— Yahoo Sports (@YahooSports) August 5, 2020

PunkinDrublic 12:45 PM 08-05-2020
So glad the NBA is back. Every bar and restaurant here has a Chinese Basketball Association game on in the background and it looks like a shitty rec league game.
BWillie 01:30 PM 08-05-2020
Wait wut? Leflop not a flopper? Next to Harden he is known as the biggest flopper in the NBA :-)
They all flop. LeBron definitely isn't the biggest flopper in the NBA. If they can't retroactively go back and punish flopping, it will continue to happen. In real time, it's impossible for refs to correctly call a game with rampant flopping because they knee jerk react to flailing bodies so much.

Muscly guys like LeBron (and think of Shaq in the old days) don't ever get enough calls because defenders bounce off of them more and their intimidating stature just creates human bias in calling fouls.
DaneMcCloud 01:30 PM 08-05-2020
The ratings have been as expected for the NBA, so whatever "point" you're attempting to make has failed
BigCatDaddy 03:28 PM 08-05-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
The ratings have been as expected for the NBA, so whatever "point" you're attempting to make has failed
Ratings from the glory days of the 90's compared to today. My point stands.
DaneMcCloud 03:35 PM 08-05-2020
Ratings from the glory days of the 90's compared to today. My point stands.

Yeah, it's totally fair to compare ratings back when there were 4 over-the-air networks and only a few cable channels as competition.

I mean, holy shit, the NBA rarely broadcasts their games on ABC during the regular season, with the overwhelming majority of games broadcast on ESPN or TNT, so who in their right mind would even compare then to now?

Also, teams have locals deals so as an example, I can only watch Lakers games in Los Angeles if I'm a Spectrum Cable TV subscriber (which I am not). Most all of the ESPN and TNT Lakers broadcasts are blacked out in LA, which is home to more than 22 million people.

Yeah, totally the same as the 80's.
BigCatDaddy 03:48 PM 08-05-2020

Yeah, it's totally fair to compare ratings back when there were 4 over-the-air networks and only a few cable channels as competition.

I mean, holy shit, the NBA rarely broadcasts their games on ABC during the regular season, with the overwhelming majority of games broadcast on ESPN or TNT, so who in their right mind would even compare then to now?

Also, teams have locals deals so as an example, I can only watch Lakers games in Los Angeles if I'm a Spectrum Cable TV subscriber (which I am not). Most all of the ESPN and TNT Lakers broadcasts are blacked out in LA, which is home to more than 22 million people.

90's.
The Warriors were actually a God send for the NBA but for the most part ratings went to shit after MJ's Bulls, no matter how much you try to justify it didn't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Fi...more%20rows%20
BWillie 03:57 PM 08-05-2020

Valid point. We won't ever see sports ratings like we did in the 80's and 90's ever again.

But the Super Bowl's ratings seem to be an exception to that rule. The Super Bowl has remained pretty constant in ratings since the early 70s. However, I imagine that is due to the NFL's increasing popularity balancing out the decrease in sports ratings in general.

I bet 50M people watched the Super Bowl last year on some bootleg online stream that the ratings can't account for.
BWillie 03:59 PM 08-05-2020
90's.
The Warriors were actually a God send for the NBA but for the most part ratings went to shit after MJ's Bulls, no matter how much you try to justify it didn't.

They did, but that is both a function of temporary decrease in popularity COMBINED with TV viewing habits changing.

And if you are talking at a rest of the world level, the NBA is #1 and far ahead of the NFL and MLB in popularity.
DaneMcCloud 04:03 PM 08-05-2020
90's.

JFC, you CANNOT compare TV rating from an era in which ALL SPORTS were broadcast on Over-The-Air networks to 2020, when nearly every game competes with 300 channels, phones and other devices.

That's like saying "No TV show will EVER match the ratings of I Love Lucy in the 50's".

Yeah, no shit, Sherlock.
Page 146 of 205
« First < 4696136142143144145146 147148149150156196 > Last »
Up