ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 15
< 1234 567814 > Last »
Media Center>Cutting Cable.
Dunit35 01:17 PM 12-19-2018
I know there are already several threads but I’m adding to it.

Our DTV bill is about to go up $60 a month to $133. We’re looking at cutting cable. We’d like to add Hulu live TV, netflix, and MLB.TV. I know I can stream all three through my Xbox. It looks like I won’t have AMC, NFL Network or NBC. NFL Network I can stream the Thursday night games through my xbox.

How is the quality? We have to upgrade our internet to unlimited for an extra $20/month. Provider said we’d also get faster speeds.
Does anyone have MLB.Tv and use it through your Xbox?
What about DVR services?

It looks like I can get all three for around $64 a month.
[Reply]
Dunit35 06:54 PM 02-11-2019
We’re going with Hulu. YouTubetv doesn’t have the history channel.
[Reply]
Lzen 07:50 PM 02-11-2019
Originally Posted by Fish:
Are you not in the KC viewing area or something? Cause every Chiefs game was on YoutubeTV the last 2 seasons. NFL Network is only available with Sling, DirectTV Now, or Fubo.

Hulu with LiveTV is good other than NFL Network. It's very similar to YoutubeTV, and they include Food Network and HGTV.
I'm in Topeka. I have been reading up on it and all the NFL Network games were broadcast on locals. So I would be able to watch them. YouTube TV has my locals plus I also have an antenna. I decided to go with YouTube TV because the channels are mostly what we want and also the unlimited DVR. I wanted to try Hulu but am having trouble signing on. I don't know if I had signed up in the past but I tried the send password reset to my email and I got nothing. The other day I had tried to access their site from work and it wouldn't come up at all.
[Reply]
Fish 08:22 PM 02-11-2019
Originally Posted by Lzen:
I'm in Topeka. I have been reading up on it and all the NFL Network games were broadcast on locals. So I would be able to watch them. YouTube TV has my locals plus I also have an antenna. I decided to go with YouTube TV because the channels are mostly what we want and also the unlimited DVR. I wanted to try Hulu but am having trouble signing on. I don't know if I had signed up in the past but I tried the send password reset to my email and I got nothing. The other day I had tried to access their site from work and it wouldn't come up at all.
If you're in Topeka, then you'd get all Chiefs games through YoutubeTV for sure. Same for Royals. In YoutubeTV, search for Kansas City Chiefs, click the "+" button to record, and it will record all Chiefs games.

Hulu is proving to be a good alternative at the moment. They currently have more channels. But the DVR is limited and there's several other limitations. Not sure what you'd have to do to fix your account. Likely have to contact them or create a new one.
[Reply]
DaFace 08:34 PM 02-11-2019
Originally Posted by Fish:
Hulu is proving to be a good alternative at the moment. They currently have more channels. But the DVR is limited and there's several other limitations. Not sure what you'd have to do to fix your account. Likely have to contact them or create a new one.
I love Hulu's selection, but they need to completely blow up their interface and start again. It's abysmal.
[Reply]
Buehler445 08:52 PM 02-11-2019
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I love Hulu's selection, but they need to completely blow up their interface and start again. It's abysmal.
Agreed. I'd imagine a 7th grader with a weekend could do better.
[Reply]
lewdog 09:04 PM 02-11-2019
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Agreed. I'd imagine a 7th grader with a weekend could do better.
Please explain. My DTV end this Friday. Leaning towards Hulu Live.

Also, no NFL Network? FUCK, just when I thought my decision was made. Other ways to watch NFL Network?
[Reply]
Fish 09:15 PM 02-11-2019
Completely agree. Interface across platforms is horribad.
[Reply]
Fish 09:17 PM 02-11-2019
Originally Posted by lewdog:

Also, no NFL Network? FUCK, just when I thought my decision was made. Other ways to watch NFL Network?
Look at Direct TV Now, streaming service. For $55 you can get the same package that includes NFL Network.

I honestly don't see the need for NFL Network these days though...
[Reply]
DaFace 09:18 PM 02-11-2019
Originally Posted by lewdog:

They have a free trial, so you can try it out and see for yourself. It's just a really confusing way of approaching everything. They really try to de-emphasize the "live" part of TV at all. Originally, there wasn't really even a "guide." You just had to search for the show you wanted to watch. They've backed off of that these days, but the guide is still slow to navigate (on Roku at least), and it's hard to see what's on in the future.

You don't "record" things. You add them to "my stuff" and in theory it just records every episode. But some things are available on demand, so sometimes it just uses that version. And eventually things get deleted from your DVR, but it's not really set up to make it obvious what you're in danger of losing.

In short, they've really just tried to blend the "live TV" part and the "streaming TV shows" part, and I personally just find it to be far more confusing.

Plus the app navigation sucks, and you can't fast forward through commercials on stuff you've recorded on your DVR.

Once you actually start watching something, it generally works fine. It's just a giant pain in the ass to find stuff in the first place.

If it weren't for the fact that my wife loves Food Network, I'd dump it for YouTube TV.
[Reply]
Fish 09:26 PM 02-11-2019
They have a free trial, so you can try it out and see for yourself. It's just a really confusing way of approaching everything. They really try to de-emphasize the "live" part of TV at all. Originally, there wasn't really even a "guide." You just had to search for the show you wanted to watch. They've backed off of that these days, but the guide is still slow to navigate (on Roku at least), and it's hard to see what's on in the future.

You don't "record" things. You add them to "my stuff" and in theory it just records every episode. But some things are available on demand, so sometimes it just uses that version. And eventually things get deleted from your DVR, but it's not really set up to make it obvious what you're in danger of losing.

In short, they've really just tried to blend the "live TV" part and the "streaming TV shows" part, and I personally just find it to be far more confusing.

Plus the app navigation sucks, and you can't fast forward through commercials on stuff you've recorded on your DVR.

Once you actually start watching something, it generally works fine. It's just a giant pain in the ass to find stuff in the first place.

If it weren't for the fact that my wife loves Food Network, I'd dump it for YouTube TV.
Exactly all of this. They try way too hard to make their old "Normal" Hulu content relative(but separate) to the point it makes it really confusing. It's actually somehow unintuitive to easily record something as a series. Which is just silly.
[Reply]
Lzen 08:22 AM 02-12-2019
Yeah, I have had nothing but trouble with Hulu. And this is a trial. Not looking good for them. I actually downloaded the app last night and was able to start the free trail. Now I can't log in. And when it says reset the password to my email, I never get an email. On a chat with Hulu now to get them to just cancel. This is a big freakin' hassle.

Edit: Finally figured it out. I apparently had to use my wife's email last night when I signed up on their app. I guess I forgot that part as I was watching the KU game as well as being a little sick. Still, I would not want to have the service simply because I can get mostly the same with Youtube tv with free dvr whereas Hulu wants to charge $15 a month extra for 200 hours? What a joke.
[Reply]
Lzen 09:31 AM 02-12-2019
!@#$ Directv is an okay company overall, but some of their practices are shady. Here's what I mean by that. Today, I called to cancel their service and they said that I would have a early cancelation fee because I was under an agreement until December of 2020. SAY WHAT!!!!????!!!! I was told that this was due to a couple of Genie mini receivers that I had just received a couple months ago. They had been bugging me and bugging me with emails about needing to switch out my old receiver because it might not be able to get my local channels when they made some kind of system change this spring. So, last December I finally got around to having them send me those receivers, but I ended up only hooking up one. This was because my daughter is on her own DVR and I don't want her BS teen girl programs cluttering up my DVR (Genie mini's access one main/central DVR). That is why she has her own DVR receiver. I tried to make that clear to them at the time but they sent me two anyway.

But here is the kicker. Nobody ever once mentioned to me that by hooking up the Genie mini that I was signing up for a 24 month agreement. If they had told me that I would definitely have declined. I was already looking into the prospect of cutting the cord so why would I agree to another 24 month contract? After about 30 minutes on the phone with them (which I went off on the poor lady when she first told me I was under contract until 12/20) I finally managed to get them to waive that cancelation fee. I apologized to her because I know it's not her fault but I did tell her that was a shady practice and let her know that I was not accepting that BS.

I suppose that I should have known. They did the same thing to me a few years ago when I upgraded my daughter's receiver to a DVR. But I kept my service with them at the time because they were willing to give me some discounts. But they really should just make that clear to customers at the time they get new equipment. I have been with Directv for probably a decade and always pay my bill on time (auto payment). So it's not like I'm some deadbeat customer. Anyway, I just canceled my Directv service because they just keep getting more and more expensive. My bill this month is $103, and that's with the $30 off per month for 12 months that I managed to talk them into giving me last year at this time when I called to complain about how expensive my bill was getting. It would be $133 per month starting next month if I had stayed with them. And I don't even subscribe to premium channels. Bye Directv. Hello Youtube TV.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:33 AM 02-12-2019
The satellite companies are now every bit as bad as the cable companies.
[Reply]
Lzen 09:58 AM 02-12-2019
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
The satellite companies are now every bit as bad as the cable companies.
Yep. And I'm not sorry to see them go.
[Reply]
Lzen 10:02 AM 02-12-2019
Now I just have to figure out what Roku devices I need. It seems that the 2.4Ghz band is so cluttered in my area that I want to try to avoid that. But I only want to spend as little as possible (duh). I have a main living room smart TV but it does not have Youtube tv. I have one in my bedroom that is not a smart tv but has a firestick. Again, no youtube tv on that stick. And then one for my daughter's tv. Any suggestions?

Here is what I'm looking at currently:
1 of these https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...VY0JGHJA&psc=1

and 2 of these
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...VY0JGHJA&psc=1
[Reply]
Page 4 of 15
< 1234 567814 > Last »
Up