ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2717 of 3903
« First < 1717221726172667270727132714271527162717 271827192720272127272767281732173717 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
O.city 01:07 PM 07-26-2020
If the 3 big hotspots have indeed peaked and are coming down, let’s just copy what they did to get it down
[Reply]
loochy 01:08 PM 07-26-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
If the 3 big hotspots have indeed peaked and are coming down, let’s just copy what they did to get it down
Pretending to take measures but really doing nothing? That's what happened in Texas, at least...just mandatory masks in public indoors
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 01:10 PM 07-26-2020
Sweden had a lighter touch and didn't do the hard lock down like its neighbors. But they voluntarily did a lot of social distancing and even without the lock down things like restaurant dine in dropped.

They ended up with far more deaths than their neighbors. But even without locking down, their economy took almost as big as hit.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/07/b...ronavirus.html

This is what has happened: Not only have thousands more people died than in neighboring countries that imposed lockdowns, but Sweden’s economy has fared little better.

“They literally gained nothing,” said Jacob F. Kirkegaard, a senior fellow at the Peterson Institute for International Economics in Washington. “It’s a self-inflicted wound, and they have no economic gains.”

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53498133

Research from Scandinavian bank SEB in April suggested Swedes were spending at a higher rate than consumers in neighbouring Nordic nations.

Despite this, various forecasts predict the Swedish economy will still shrink by about 5% this year. That's less than other countries hit hard by Covid-19 such as Italy, Spain and the UK, but still similar to the rest of Scandinavia. Sweden's unemployment rate of 9% remains the highest in the Nordics, up from 7.1% in March.

Sweden is a small economy that is open to global trade. So some of its downturn is because the world economy downturn and not just because people were staying home.

But that is true of its Nordic neighbors. They faced the same headwind. They had the same downturn with many fewer deaths per capita.

Now it's certainly possible that Sweden may have gained some level of herd immunity. And it's economy rebounds more quickly than it's neighbors. And over the next year or so, its neighbors catch up in deaths while staying economically behind.

But I think it is more likely that none of them do that well until there is a vaccine. If a vaccine is rolled out early in 2021 every economy will bounce back. And Sweden would have had far more of its citizens die with little economic benefit.
[Reply]
stumppy 01:11 PM 07-26-2020
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
And you posted nothing but a string of insults. Thats how you know when someone has lost the argument. Childish behavior like yours.
There's no use in posting anything pertaining to your bullshit. You're just the next fucking idiot to post in this thread with some kind of agenda or a severe learning deficit or both.
If you had a lick of sense you'd thank the posters interacting with you for the education they handed you. But you won't. You might think you're slick, or smart but you're neither. Like I said, you're just the next idiot.
[Reply]
O.city 01:14 PM 07-26-2020
Originally Posted by loochy:
Pretending to take measures but really doing nothing? That's what happened in Texas, at least...just mandatory masks in public indoors
I was kind of wondering about that
[Reply]
lewdog 01:16 PM 07-26-2020
Don’t mandate anything just make suggestions?
[Reply]
O.city 01:19 PM 07-26-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Don’t mandate anything just make suggestions?
I mean if you can peak and come down without it, seems to be ideal. It’s definitely a tight rope to walk.

If they are all coming down and it goes down quick, I think there’s gotta be something happening at about 20% infections of the population

Maybe I’m just being hopeful tho
[Reply]
lewdog 01:27 PM 07-26-2020
I mean if you can peak and come down without it, seems to be ideal. It’s definitely a tight rope to walk.

If they are all coming down and it goes down quick, I think there’s gotta be something happening at about 20% infections of the population

It’s too early to tell how a second wave may impact these places, do you agree?

And I’m still not sold on lasting immunity, so does reaching 20% infections really matter as far as a future second wave is concerned? Same scenario could happen in surge places again.
[Reply]
TLO 01:28 PM 07-26-2020

If we go off that, it gives me hope that Missouri won't get hit that hard. I just don't know though.
[Reply]
O.city 01:29 PM 07-26-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
It’s too early to tell how a second wave may impact these places, do you agree?

And I’m still not sold on lasting immunity, so does reaching 20% infections really matter as far as a future second wave is concerned? Same scenario could happen in surge places again.
With everything that’s happened in New York and Europe, I don’t think there’s a high likelihood of a second wave. Maybe pop up hot spots

We just don’t know on the immunity front yet. I’ve seen all the speculation so I tend to think there’s gonna be good immunity to it but we don’t know for sure
[Reply]
KCUnited 01:33 PM 07-26-2020
Chicago re-shutdown indoor patronage at bars with non-food service on Friday after seeing a surge in new cases, mostly from the 18-29 year old age group. Took down some statues in the middle of the night to help keep crowds from gathering as well. Lake Michigan beaches around the city are still closed. Thought I heard we had the highest number of new cases in 2 months. Testing roughly 40K a day statewide last I heard.
[Reply]
staylor26 01:48 PM 07-26-2020

[Reply]
petegz28 02:48 PM 07-26-2020
Kansas may have got their first pediatric death from Covd. KU Med reported losing a patient but I didn't get any of the specifics. To date the youngest person in Kansas to die from Covid is 29.
[Reply]
lewdog 03:04 PM 07-26-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Kansas may have got their first pediatric death from Covd. KU Med reported losing a patient but I didn't get any of the specifics. To date the youngest person in Kansas to die from Covid is 29.
Not taking the sadness away from losing a child but I’ve yet to read a case where a child COVID death wasn’t a child with multiple medical conditions, many times severe conditions. That seems to be the only consistency with this virus, as kids under 10 are very safe from its affects.
[Reply]
Bugeater 03:07 PM 07-26-2020
Originally Posted by stumppy:
You know, every time you post a bunch of bullshit you'll get called on it in this thread.
JFC, the idiots come crawling out of the woodwork around here.
You rang?
[Reply]
Page 2717 of 3903
« First < 1717221726172667270727132714271527162717 271827192720272127272767281732173717 > Last »
Up