ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 201 of 301
« First < 101151191197198199200201 202203204205211251 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*** Official 2019 Kansas City Royals Repository ***
Mama Hip Rockets 08:06 AM 03-28-2019
Get the offseason thread out of here. It's on!

Opening day roster:

Catchers (2): Cam Gallagher, Martin Maldonado

Infielders (7): Hunter Dozier, Lucas Duda, Whit Merrifield, Adalberto Mondesi, Ryan O’Hearn, Chris Owings, Frank Schwindel

Outfielders (4): Alex Gordon, Terrance Gore, Billy Hamilton, Jorge Soler

Starting pitchers (3): Jakob Junis, Brad Keller, Jorge Lopez

Relief pitchers (9): Scott Barlow, Brad Boxberger, Jake Diekman, Chris Ellis, Tim Hill, Ian Kennedy, Kevin McCarthy, Wily Peralta, Kyle Zimmer

Injured list: Danny Duffy, Brian Flynn, Jesse Hahn, Salvador Perez

Suspended: Eric Skoglund
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 07:25 AM 08-05-2019
1-9 last 10. Boy they sure are playing well since the break.
[Reply]
Jerok 07:44 AM 08-05-2019
Damn we might get the 2nd overall pick again. Let's suck to a 2025 World Series
[Reply]
OKchiefs 08:11 AM 08-05-2019
Originally Posted by Jerok:
Damn we might get the 2nd overall pick again. Let's suck to a 2025 World Series
I'd be fine with just making the playoffs for a few years. Winning the world series is incredibly hard for a small market team, so a world series every 30 years isn't bad at all. What's not excusable is just years and years of losing with no postseason. I'd be fine with a Cleveland Indians type of run with several years of contending without winning it all. Of course I want another championship, but I'm trying to be realistic.
[Reply]
TomBarndtsTwin 08:39 AM 08-05-2019
Solidly back in the running for a Top 3 pick.

We were veering off course there for a little while after the ASB . . . . . . .
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 09:22 AM 08-05-2019
DM and Yost need to go after the season, DM won’t but he should.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 09:34 AM 08-05-2019
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
DM and Yost need to go after the season, DM won’t but he should.
Won't happen, although I see no reason to expect anything other than another 100 loss season in 2020. No GM should survive three straight 100 loss seasons.
[Reply]
TomBarndtsTwin 09:47 AM 08-05-2019
Originally Posted by OKchiefs:
Won't happen, although I see no reason to expect anything other than another 100 loss season in 2020. No GM should survive three straight 100 loss seasons.
Jeffrey Lundhow (Astros GM) did. 2011-2013

I'd say that worked out pretty well for him/them.

Not saying DM is Lundhow, just pointing out that sometimes you need to bottom out for a while to successfully rebuild, especially for small market teams.

The issue with the Royals has been mainly scouting and development (and a little bit of bad luck). Obviously, Houston has been better with those. But the Royals last 2 drafts have looked pretty solid. Will see how that plays out in the next couple years . . . . .
[Reply]
Mecca 10:01 AM 08-05-2019
Originally Posted by TomBarndtsTwin:
Jeffrey Lundhow (Astros GM) did. 2011-2013

I'd say that worked out pretty well for him/them.

Not saying DM is Lundhow, just pointing out that sometimes you need to bottom out for a while to successfully rebuild, especially for small market teams.

The issue with the Royals has been mainly scouting and development (and a little bit of bad luck). Obviously, Houston has been better with those. But the Royals last 2 drafts have looked pretty solid. Will see how that plays out in the next couple years . . . . .
That isn't the same situation though, Lundhow literally tanked on purpose by selling anything and everything of value. He tanked on purpose to get high picks, Moore if he were Lundhow would have dealt off Perez and Merrifield now.
[Reply]
Jerok 10:08 AM 08-05-2019
Originally Posted by OKchiefs:
I'd be fine with just making the playoffs for a few years. Winning the world series is incredibly hard for a small market team, so a world series every 30 years isn't bad at all. What's not excusable is just years and years of losing with no postseason. I'd be fine with a Cleveland Indians type of run with several years of contending without winning it all. Of course I want another championship, but I'm trying to be realistic.
True, it's a big gamble during the playoffs, winning the division a couple times is the real goal. The Royals making the World Series the only 2 years they made the playoffs in my lifetime is remarkable.
[Reply]
TomBarndtsTwin 10:17 AM 08-05-2019
Perez's trade value went down after they re-negotiated his bargain basement contract, though. Between that and Yost running him into the ground, don't think he would have provided much of a return in 2018. And people weren't willing to pay much (reportedly) for Merrifield this year. So, yeah, you could have traded Perez last year and Merrifield this year for some lotto tickets, but then you'd have people bitching about us being (last year and this year) a 110 loss team, instead of a 100 loss team, and no Whit or Salvy on the team and the whole 'same ol Royals' mantra from the early 2000's.

And would trading them have netted a little better picks in the drafts? Maybe. I mean, they got Singer in 2018, who was widely considered one of the top players in the draft and most thought would go Top 5, he just happened to fall to 17. And this year, they got Witt Jr., who many consider the best overall prospect in this draft. And based on how things are going this year, they look like they're well on their way to another Top 3 pick, regardless of whether Whit was or wasn't on the team. So I don't know that they've really missed out on a ton in drafting potential elite players.

The Royals haven't done a good job the last several years with scouting and development (and have had some really shitty luck, as well), but DM really is in a no-win situation with the fanbase right now.

He could have done just what you suggested and just as many people (probably more) would be bitching about it.
[Reply]
Mecca 10:20 AM 08-05-2019
I'm just telling you Lundhow literally traded every piece with any value and tanked on purpose.
[Reply]
TomBarndtsTwin 08-05-2019, 10:21 AM
This message has been deleted by TomBarndtsTwin. Reason: Repeat.
Mecca 10:22 AM 08-05-2019
It's also a bad comparison because Houston hit on a ton of picks, managed to make trades and win while keeping a highly rated farm system.

Had Moore done those things the Royals would still be good.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 10:35 AM 08-05-2019
DM has made nothing but awful contracts.

1. Gordon 4-72. He will get back <1/2 value
2. Kennedy 5-70 lol
3. Duff-man 5-60 lol
4. Chris Young 2-11 lol
5. The “garbage pail kids” from this winter 1-20 mega lol

Frankly this asshole shouldn’t be given the checkbook any longer. We could add reading Salvy for 5-50 and Starling 1-7.5 for that disaster pick. Real folks......what am I missing?
[Reply]
TomBarndtsTwin 10:40 AM 08-05-2019
Originally Posted by Mecca:
It's also a bad comparison because Houston hit on a ton of picks, managed to make trades and win while keeping a highly rated farm system.

Had Moore done those things the Royals would still be good.
Houston didn't start "hitting on a ton of picks" until they went into 100 loss mode, circa 2011. While Houston was stocking their farm system, the Royals were competing for playoff spots and eventually getting to two World Series. Now, the difference has been scouting and development between KC and Houston, as the Royals were not doing a good job of that with their lower first round picks after they started to win a little. That's obviously on Moore. He's in charge. And he tried to extend the winning window a little bit in 2016 & 2017 and made some questionable trades and FA signings. That's on him as well.

But since the Royals have gone into 100 loss mode, they've drafted Singer and Witt and had two pretty damn good drafts in 2018 and 2019. Now will that translate later down the road? Remains to be seen.

If the Royals are still a giant pile of suckage in 2022 with elite draft picks failing to advance and make an impact on the big league level, then I'll be in line with everyone else in asking him to be removed.

But cut the guy a little slack. He helped lead one of the smallest markets in baseball to back to back World Series and a title. That's a damn near miracle in today's climate. It's like everyone has already forgotten about 2014 and 2015 after a couple shitty seasons . . . . .
[Reply]
OKchiefs 10:43 AM 08-05-2019
Originally Posted by TomBarndtsTwin:
Houston didn't start "hitting on a ton of picks" until they went into 100 loss mode, circa 2011. While Houston was stocking their farm system, the Royals were competing for playoff spots and eventually getting to two World Series. Now, the difference has been scouting and development between KC and Houston, as the Royals were not doing a good job of that with their lower first round picks after they started to win a little. That's obviously on Moore. He's in charge. And he tried to extend the winning window a little bit in 2016 & 2017 and made some questionable trades and FA signings. That's on him as well.

But since the Royals have gone into 100 loss mode, they've drafted Singer and Witt and had two pretty damn good drafts in 2018 and 2019. Now will that translate later down the road? Remains to be seen.

If the Royals are still a giant pile of suckage in 2022 with elite draft picks failing to advance and make an impact on the big league level, then I'll be in line with everyone else in asking him to be removed.

But cut the guy a little slack. He helped lead one of the smallest markets in baseball to back to back World Series and a title. That's a damn near miracle in today's climate. It's like everyone has already forgotten about 2014 and 2015 after a couple shitty seasons . . . . .
Was 2019 a great draft though? Obviously still extremely early, but after taking the obvious pick in Witt Jr the rest of the draft was pretty meh by everything I've seen.
[Reply]
Page 201 of 301
« First < 101151191197198199200201 202203204205211251 > Last »
Up