ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 9
1 2345 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Don't be me with your computer files
Mr. Wizard 03:28 PM 10-27-2020
:-):-) I just lost all of my computer data dating back 20 years. Long story short I had it BACKED UP on a 2tb portable hard drive which I dropped. It's trashed. 2 different sysops looked at it. I can send it to the company and pray but that bill starts at $1000.00 They took it apart and its running but the arm is scratching back and forth across the disk. No light comes on and it is not recognized by any computer I plug it into. 20 years of taxes, personal files, small business files and lesson plans and lessons from my 30 years of teaching welding - gone.:-):-)

Truthfully I had it backed up on my computer c drive which had to be re-imaged.
My though was, it gets re-imaged, I copy everything back, now I still have two copies. :-)BAM god punished me.:-):-)

Don't be me, back that stuff up twice. I would do it on "the cloud" but know little about it. Mr. Wizard is wrong again!

PS is the cloud a good idea for an old dog like me?
[Reply]
ModSocks 03:31 PM 10-27-2020
I know a place in Delaware that might be able to have a gander...
[Reply]
loochy 03:31 PM 10-27-2020
Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard:
Don't be me, back that stuff

via GIPHY

[Reply]
New World Order 03:33 PM 10-27-2020
That's why you have to backup your files on a floppy disk
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 03:33 PM 10-27-2020
Yeah, I put all my important spreadsheets and stuff on my desktop and copy my desktop from time to time on a spare usb. Which reminds me I need to do that. Sorry that happened to you. You'll find that life still goes on though.
[Reply]
Shaid 03:34 PM 10-27-2020
I still have a DVD burner but yeah, it's been a couple years since I did a real backup. Of course, i have taxes, etc. all printed on paper and in a filing cabinet but lots of photos could be lost over the past couple years.
[Reply]
KCUnited 03:34 PM 10-27-2020
e-Hoarding: Buried Alive
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:34 PM 10-27-2020
Dude.

Always back everything up AT LEAST twice.

I actually do hourly -> daily -> weekly -> monthly rollups to two different destinations, one of which I keep in a fireproof safe.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 03:35 PM 10-27-2020
I'm worried I'll lose all my contacts stored on my phone if I drop it in the lake. How can I back that up???
[Reply]
Shaid 03:35 PM 10-27-2020
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
Yeah, I put all my important spreadsheets and stuff on my desktop and copy my desktop from time to time on a spare usb. Which reminds me I need to do that. Sorry that happened to you. You'll find that life still goes on though.
yeah, spare USB is a better idea, I've been considering a networked drive with scheduled backups but just haven't done it.
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:35 PM 10-27-2020
Guys,

You can buy 4TB of storage in the size of a cigarette box for less than $100.

Don't use DVD's, USB flash drives, or anything like that.

Buy two external hard drives and use them both.
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:36 PM 10-27-2020
Originally Posted by Shaid:
yeah, spare USB is a better idea, I've been considering a networked drive with scheduled backups but just haven't done it.
I used to have a NAS when I had a lot more machines to backup but now I just use external drives.

Of course, I'm on Mac so Time Machine does the heavy lifting for me.
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:37 PM 10-27-2020
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
I'm worried I'll lose all my contacts stored on my phone if I drop it in the lake. How can I back that up???
Please tell me you don't have a flip phone still.
[Reply]
Mr. Wizard 03:37 PM 10-27-2020
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
I know a place in Delaware that might be able to have a gander...
How much would it cost. I am willing to try, just not gonna drop $1000.00 for them to start and then $50.00 per hour plus parts. I would but I got kids in college man.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 03:37 PM 10-27-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Guys,

You can buy 4TB of storage in the size of a cigarette box for less than $100.

Don't use DVD's, USB flash drives, or anything like that.

Buy two external hard drives and use them both.
But a USB is the size of one cigarette.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 9
1 2345 > Last »
Up