ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3038 of 3903
« First < 2038253829382988302830343035303630373038 30393040304130423048308831383538 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
BWillie 08:38 AM 10-20-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Fatigue has definitely set it.

Someone posted it and it makes sense to me, but think of all the things as a "swiss cheese" approach. Masking by itself isn't enough. It's masking, distancing, hand washing, testing etc. The more layers we can have on it the better.

But at this point, with all the political issues and such with it, we're in for the long haul.
I am 100 pct confident we will see 100k cases a day soon. Likely in the week or two following Thanksgiving.

Alot of my extended family are rural Iowans. They refuse to socially distance. Large family gatherings are fueling this more than ppl not masking at the grocery store IMO. Extended close exposure. Think of your grammy during these holidays. Many of us younger ppl have had it, gave it to someone and we didnt even know it.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 08:40 AM 10-20-2020
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
FWIW despite wearing masks and distancing for months, percent positives are rising in IL and we could be looking at scaling back to phase 3 (whatever that means).

*Not an anti-mask post by any means, just highlighting the reality of what appears to be a second wave despite following the advised protocols.
Are people REALLY following the protocols though?

I drove from AZ to MO a few weeks back and regardless of small town or bigger city - stop for gas, to eat, to sleep - people weren't wearing masks. 50/50 at best. Across 5 states.

Some of those areas were under mask mandates - which means nothing. At this point, people know it's not being enforced and are doing whatever the fuck they want. Add in the lack of distancing, people holding weddings/large events...of course it's going to get worse.
[Reply]
O.city 08:41 AM 10-20-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
I am 100 pct confident we will see 100k cases a day soon. Likely in the week or two following Thanksgiving.

Alot of my extended family are rural Iowans. They refuse to socially distance. Large family gatherings are fueling this more than ppl not masking at the grocery store IMO. Extended close exposure. Think of your grammy during these holidays. Many of us younger ppl have had it, gave it to someone and we didnt even know it.
Oh for sure after Thanksgiving and XMas. Some tough decisions ahead.

Both my wife's family and mine have decided against having either this year, but all things considered it wasn't really a tough decision.
[Reply]
KCUnited 08:52 AM 10-20-2020
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15:
Are people REALLY following the protocols though?

I drove from AZ to MO a few weeks back and regardless of small town or bigger city - stop for gas, to eat, to sleep - people weren't wearing masks. 50/50 at best. Across 5 states.

Some of those areas were under mask mandates - which means nothing. At this point, people know it's not being enforced and are doing whatever the fuck they want. Add in the lack of distancing, people holding weddings/large events...of course it's going to get worse.
Can really only speak for Chicagoland, but yeah, hobos even mask up to go into corners stores here because they have to. Bars have had licenses pulled early on for not enforcing mask mandates. Maybe in the deep hoods that are barely operating at a human level, masks likely aren't a priority, but that's about it. Case are up over every demographic here.

I feel its a good point on family gatherings though, both rural and in the city that are likely driving percent positive increases, but out and about, masks are very much a thing.

I'm pro maks, pro distancing, and firmly believe those things should continue to be practiced, but the reality is sinking in for me that this is here with us and its feeling a bit hopeless.
[Reply]
O.city 08:54 AM 10-20-2020
KCUnited isn't wrong.

And it's why the messaging and or lack thereof has been awful.

We were always gonna be in this for the long haul. Once it got out, it was just gonna go wild. Unless you wanna do what South Korea has done, which I'm not sure could be done here all things considered.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 08:55 AM 10-20-2020
KCUnited isn't wrong.

We were always gonna be in this for the long haul. Once it got out, it was just gonna go wild. Unless you wanna do what South Korea has done, which I'm not sure could be done here all things considered.
Bingo.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 09:44 AM 10-20-2020
KCUnited isn't wrong.

Messaging worldwide? I'm not seeing any place that "nailed it" by any means.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:49 AM 10-20-2020
Maybe in the deep hoods that are barely operating at a human level, masks likely aren't a priority, but that's about it.

Just kidding.
:-)

I'm pro maks, pro distancing, and firmly believe those things should continue to be practiced, but the reality is sinking in for me that this is here with us and its feeling a bit hopeless.
Why would you feel hopeless? We've had 100's of pandemics in human history and we're all still here. The individual impacts can be very severe (still feeling bad for O.City) but as a race, we're going to survive well beyond this.
[Reply]
O.city 09:50 AM 10-20-2020
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
Messaging worldwide? I'm not seeing any place that "nailed it" by any means.
Define nailed it.

Once it got out and there was community spread, you aren't gonna stop it. You can slow it, like Germany did, but it won't last forever because people tire of it.

The whole "suppress until a vaccine" wouldn't ever work unless you have complete buy in from the populace for long term amounts of time.

In the end, we're gonna have to just power thru until there's a vaccine and do what we have to do in terms of distancing and such.

The US was never gonna be New Zealand or South Korea. Way too much disagreement. So at this point, just dig in and hope the hospitals hold up.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:52 AM 10-20-2020
Fatigue has definitely set it.

Someone posted it and it makes sense to me, but think of all the things as a "swiss cheese" approach. Masking by itself isn't enough. It's masking, distancing, hand washing, testing etc. The more layers we can have on it the better.

But at this point, with all the political issues and such with it, we're in for the long haul.
We were always in it for the long haul. I distinctly recall having this very discussion, in this very thread, 6 months ago now.

This isn't likely to ever go to go away. We'll be living with it, our progeny will be living with it, and generations upon generations down the line will be living with it.

We're not going to wear masks forever. It's just not going to happen.
[Reply]
stevieray 09:52 AM 10-20-2020
Flu shot? people still get the flu.

Not to sound harsh, but it's a virus. You are either going to get it or not, and you are either going to die or not.

Sadly, that's a part of life. Doesn't mean you stop living. We've created a massive expensive system that has to keep moving forward. We can't have major cities crumbling due to lack of revenue.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:52 AM 10-20-2020
Define nailed it.

Once it got out and there was community spread, you aren't gonna stop it. You can slow it, like Germany did, but it won't last forever because people tire of it.

The whole "suppress until a vaccine" wouldn't ever work unless you have complete buy in from the populace for long term amounts of time.

In the end, we're gonna have to just power thru until there's a vaccine and do what we have to do in terms of distancing and such.

The US was never gonna be New Zealand or South Korea. Way too much disagreement. So at this point, just dig in and hope the hospitals hold up.
Yep.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 09:53 AM 10-20-2020
Define nailed it.

Basically handled this on point. I don't see anyway here this could have went much better. It sucks but sucking it up and dealing with it as you saynis the only option.
[Reply]
Pants 09:54 AM 10-20-2020
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15:
When the first thing I see upon opening a link is a popup trying to hawk supplements recommended by this "doc"...
You mean the eye doctor? That's when I stopped reading.
[Reply]
O.city 09:54 AM 10-20-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
We were always in it for the long haul. I distinctly recall having this very discussion, in this very thread, 6 months ago now.

This isn't likely to ever go to go away. We'll be living with it, our progeny will be living with it, and generations upon generations down the line will be living with it.

We're not going to wear masks forever. It's just not going to happen.
Sure, at some point we'll have a vaccine, we'll have natural immunity and we'll get back to normal.

Lotta people will die along the way, but that's life I suppose.
[Reply]
Page 3038 of 3903
« First < 2038253829382988302830343035303630373038 30393040304130423048308831383538 > Last »
Up