ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 24 of 31
« First < 142021222324 25262728 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>We have a new GM and his name is Brett Veach
okiedokieokoye 02:36 PM 07-10-2017
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
From @TomPelissero and me: The #Chiefs are finalizing a deal for Brett Veach to be their new GM.
[Reply]
Easy 6 04:50 PM 12-15-2017
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Outside of the QB position, the Chiefs were a pretty talented team in 2013, both offensively and defensively. Dorsey's additions that year in free agency were a mixed bag: Avery, DeVito and Fasano were "okay" additions, Dunta Robinson was awful. Eric Fisher, drafted as a left tackle, was a disaster on the right side and Kelce didn't contribute due to a knee injury.

For the most part, Reid coached up the existing players.

The decision to draft Mahomes wasn't driven by one person. Veach scouted him hard, brought him to Reid, who visited Texas Tech and met with the peeps on campus. Dorsey was no where to be found.

And yes, barring some unforeseen miracle, this team is no closer to a Super Bowl in 2017 than they were in 2012. Houston and Berry will soon be on the wrong side of 30, Hali is done, the receiving corp, outside of Hill now that Conley's gone, is meh at best, etc. and so on.

Veach could find three legit, immediate impact rookies next year and the Chiefs would still need ridiculous play from the QB and defense to push for a Super Bowl.

That's a lot to ask, especially minus a first round pick.

From all reports, it was a decision made by Dorsey, Hunt and Reid. And while I expect Mahomes to have a great career, he still hasn't played a single down in the NFL, so the jury is out.
I'd give DeVito better than ok, dude was a solid run stopping fireplug... for Avery and Fasano, 'ok' fits the bill though

Cant blame Dorsey for Kelce' injury

With the no closer to a SB part, its hard to understand the math there... we're waaay closer now than we were coming off the disaster that led to the arrival of Dorsey and co. Its taken a hit lately, but a winning culture has been established with multiple playoff appearances to prove it

Obviously, we've all been expecting more than what we've gotten so far... but this organization is miles above the 2-14 group

Things just aren't quite as bad as they may look right now, IMO

1) New DC
2) Nagy retains playcalling duties
3) Invest 80% of draft and free agency resources into the defense
4) Bring in an animal or two on the O line, LG , quite possibly C and better depth
5) Hand the keys to Money Mahomes, yes technically the jury is still out... but God as my witness I've never seen anything quite like him, he is going to be special

We're really not as bereft of talent as it seems, just need a few guys like Kpass to work out and things can turn around quickly... just look at the Rams
[Reply]
SAUTO 04:53 PM 12-15-2017
Robinson is a disappointment? He has played well when given the opportunities.
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 04:59 PM 12-15-2017
Originally Posted by Buckweath:
Here we go again. A Chiefs fan criticizing Dorsey for his draft picks when he proved to be one of the very best in the business. And what year recently did the Chiefs have the most snaps by their rookies in the entire league? Yeah, ok..
I was as high on Dorsey as anyone on this site, and even more so high on the idea of keeping Dorsey over Reid, but I was proven incorrect in my assessment by the passage of time.

Dorsey's greatest attributes are his work ethic, his passion for the game, and his quest to overturn every single, available rock in his mission to find hidden gems and assorted prizes.

But it wasn't enough. He couldn't handle the other aspects of the job.
[Reply]
RunKC 05:10 PM 12-15-2017
I have to hand it to Veach. In his short time, he’s done a solid job. ILB was a huge concern on this team with an old injured DJ coming back and Ramik Wilson lining up next to him.
KPL and Ragland are young, talented players who have improved the run defense to 5th best since week 9 when they started playing more snaps together.

Buttkicker is an obvious hit as well.

I think Veach had a big role in a lot of our draft hits since 2013 and Clark made his decision based off this info.
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 05:14 PM 12-15-2017
Originally Posted by RunKC:
I have to hand it to Veach. In his short time, he’s done a solid job. ILB was a huge concern on this team with an old injured DJ coming back and Ramik Wilson lining up next to him.
KPL and Ragland are young, talented players who have improved the run defense to 5th best since week 9 when they started playing more snaps together.

I think Veach had a big role in a lot of our draft hits since 2013 and Clark made his decision based off this info.
Veach could be our "golden boy" in that office after so many sad, sad years.

Let us hope!
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 05:19 PM 12-15-2017

I'm good with veach. No reason yet to think he won't be successful. But you can like veach and also think Dorsey did a decent job here. Not everyone seems to think that way.
[Reply]
Easy 6 05:22 PM 12-15-2017
Wow, an amazing stat... I've been particularly impressed with Ragland, but didn't know things were going quite so well
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 05:30 PM 12-15-2017
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
1) New DC
2) Nagy retains playcalling duties
3) Invest 80% of draft and free agency resources into the defense
4) Bring in an animal or two on the O line, LG , quite possibly C and better depth
5) Hand the keys to Money Mahomes, yes technically the jury is still out... but God as my witness I've never seen anything quite like him, he is going to be special
This is a sound all-around plan IMO. Nagy is very likely headed to Indy though I feel.

You've got the entire starting offense returning in 2018, sans Albert Wilson and Alex Smith. As you mentioned, the interior OL has some question marks to address and I'd love to see upgrades at WR2/3 and TE2. Overall, they shouldn't have to denote a ton of resources to that side of the football.

Take a chunk of that $30+M in cap space that they will have and help your defense. Don't spend it all, as that won't be necessary, but use it smartly. They will already have Berry, Peters(?), Houston, Jones, Ragland, etc. in place. That's not a bad foundation at all. Probably better than a large chunk of the NFL. By the time you supplement it with some FAs and draft picks, the defense might look really good.

If Mahomes is the man, they are going to be playoff contenders in '18. And as you mentioned, I have such a strong feeling about his future. If I had to bet, I would say HOF over bust.
[Reply]
Easy 6 05:50 PM 12-15-2017
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
This is a sound all-around plan IMO. Nagy is very likely headed to Indy though I feel.

You've got the entire starting offense returning in 2018, sans Albert Wilson and Alex Smith. As you mentioned, the interior OL has some question marks to address and I'd love to see upgrades at WR2/3 and TE2. Overall, they shouldn't have to denote a ton of resources to that side of the football.

Take a chunk of that $30+M in cap space that they will have and help your defense. Don't spend it all, as that won't be necessary, but use it smartly. They will already have Berry, Peters(?), Houston, Jones, Ragland, etc. in place. That's not a bad foundation at all. Probably better than a large chunk of the NFL. By the time you supplement it with some FAs and draft picks, the defense might look really good.

If Mahomes is the man, they are going to be playoff contenders in '18. And as you mentioned, I have such a strong feeling about his future. If I had to bet, I would say HOF over bust.
Thanks bud, I appreciate that

I wouldnt even mind if Wilson came back on a friendly deal, after the way I've felt about him over the years it seems strange to say... but he has slowly yet surely become a genuine contributor

He can run real routes or gadget plays, always blocks etc... as 4 or 5 guy, he is a solid fit here

But yeah, its gotta be a defensive minded offseason... because as we both feel, Mahomes will be able to elevate the play of the majority of our returning offense

A guy like Robinson will almost certainly break out with Pat slinging it
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 05:59 PM 12-15-2017
Thanks bud, I appreciate that

I wouldnt even mind if Wilson came back on a friendly deal, after the way I've felt about him over the years it seems strange to say... but he has slowly yet surely become a genuine contributor

He can run real routes or gadget plays, always blocks etc... as 4 or 5 guy, he is a solid fit here

But yeah, its gotta be a defensive minded offseason... because as we both feel, Mahomes will be able to elevate the play of the majority of our returning offense

A guy like Robinson will almost certainly break out with Pat slinging it
I should have pointed that out myself too. I think our WRs are going to look a whole lot better with Pat in there, and we saw a glimpse when he and Robinson shredded the Titans during the preseason.

More than anything, I just want better WR/TE depth because we could use better Kelce/Hill insurance. As irreplaceable as those two are, I'm not sure we are equipped to handle the loss of either right now at all.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 06:22 PM 12-15-2017

Why is that?
I have heard he will take Dave Toub and now Nagy. Why would he want either one of them.
It is all unknown.
Hell he could even go after Lovie Smith. He worked with Lovie in Chicago when Lovie took them to a SB with Rex Grossman.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 07:12 PM 12-15-2017
I'd give DeVito better than ok, dude was a solid run stopping fireplug... for Avery and Fasano, 'ok' fits the bill though
I labeled him as "okay" because he couldn't rush the passer.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5
That's a whole lot of things that need to go right, something that hasn't been happening.

just look at the Rams
The Rams drafted a QB #1 overall. They hired a fantastic offensive mind and the best defensive coordinator in the business in Wade Phillips. Their defense was loaded, with the best DL in the NFL in Aaron Donald.

They brought in two more receivers via the draft in WR Cooper Kupp and TE Garrett Everett while signing Robert Woods and trading for Sammy Watkins. They also signed a stalwart left tackle to go along with one of the best running backs in the business in Todd Gurley. Punter Johnny Hekker is a stud, too.

The bottom line is that they made a shit ton of moves this offseason, all of which paid off. They have very good young pieces in place on both sides of the ball, something that can't necessarily be said about the Chiefs. The Chiefs receiving corp, D line and linebackers are a notch or two below that of the Rams.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 07:27 PM 12-15-2017
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
Why is that?
I have heard he will take Dave Toub and now Nagy. Why would he want either one of them.
It is all unknown.
Hell he could even go after Lovie Smith. He worked with Lovie in Chicago when Lovie took them to a SB with Rex Grossman.
Nagy is going to be highly coveted if his playcalling continues to be successful. The jobs that guys like Sean McVay and Doug Pederson have done is only increasing Nagy's value as a potential HC.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 07:53 PM 12-15-2017
Nagy is going to be highly coveted if his playcalling continues to be successful. The jobs that guys like Sean McVay and Doug Pederson have done is only increasing Nagy's value as a potential HC.
Nagy's probably a year or two away from being a Head Coach.

The offense slumped badly this year, like the worst slump of Reid's tenure, so it'll take a miraculous turnaround for him to become a head coaching candidate, IMO.
[Reply]
TRR 07:21 AM 12-16-2017
I should have pointed that out myself too. I think our WRs are going to look a whole lot better with Pat in there, and we saw a glimpse when he and Robinson shredded the Titans during the preseason.

More than anything, I just want better WR/TE depth because we could use better Kelce/Hill insurance. As irreplaceable as those two are, I'm not sure we are equipped to handle the loss of either right now at all.
I will lower my expectations greatly in Mahomes first season. History just isn’t on his side. I expect ups and downs, rocky play at times, frustrating interceptions (10+), and a few glimpses/games of sheer brilliance by the end of the season. The best thing for Mahomes is to get a healthy Ware back and lean on the combo of Hunt and Ware early. Sprinkle in a few of Mahomes favorite Texas Tech play calls ala Texans/Watson, and KC could finish with a winning record in Mahomes first season.
[Reply]
Page 24 of 31
« First < 142021222324 25262728 > Last »
Up