ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Nzoner's Game Room>Long Time 49ers Lurker - Chiming in for the First time in a While - SB Let's GO!
DonTellMeShowMe 09:53 PM 01-23-2020
Let me just say, I come in peace...and what a hell of a year we both have had...I have enjoyed lurking around on this forum for damn near a decade. This forum and going to Arrowhead are, although infrequent, favorite pastimes of mine.

My first thread here back in 2010 was about where to stay for a SF v. KC game. This place is by far my favorite to go to each week during the season; the camaraderie with members and history (some of the Hall of Classics have had me dying) are top notch stuff and chalk full of time killing entertainment.

For a bit of background, my brother and I are from California, and grew up in the 80s/90s. He has been a die-hard Chiefs his entire life, me a 49ers fan. Story goes he chose the Chiefs as a kid when Joe was traded to KC, and we had family travel in the area at times, and he decided to ride with them at a pretty young age given everyone else were 49ers fans. Our first Arrowhead trip might have been when he was ~8. Ever since, we have always had a 1A and 1B rooting situation with each other's teams.

We went to the SF v. KC game in the great Mike Singletary and Todd Haley era in 2010; seeing Tony Moeaki's best play of his entire career against a young Navarro Bowman; my only blessing was finding out 49ers OC Jimmy Raye was fired while waiting at the airport on Monday for my flight.

We caught the 49ers and Chiefs again in our neck of the woods here in the Bay in 2014 at Levi's, Smitty's return against Harbs (monitoring the "Alex Smith did, does, and will always suck." thread was a favorite of mine; most perplexing "what a nice guy, maybe he can do it, he probably can't" QB of all time).

We returned to Arrowhead in 2017 for the Division playoff game against the Steelers, our flight getting cancelled day of due to the ice storm; we found a way to Omaha to drive in from there arriving at 4am the day of. It's a trip I'll never forget, especially that pit in the gut of our stomachs walking out losing to 6 field goals, and the refs stealing our moment on the Fisher "hold" to tie the game on the 2-pt conversion.

Last -and most recently- we returned to Arrowhead Fall 2018, sat Row 1 endzone, only to see my beloved Niners get boatraced and Jimmy G blow out his knee, a really shitty start to our 2018 season...

I wax poetic on a lot of this, because this "stars aligning" moment is so incredibly rare and unbelievable, and I'd be remised if I didn't post in advance, I just can't believe our teams are in the damn Super Bowl. I have to keep reminding myself of all the shit before: our respective Alex Smith years, Matt Cassel and his inability to put his hat on his head, the year where no one would shut the hell up about "Did you know that no receiver caught a TD for the Chiefs blahaha", Scott Pioli and candy wrappers, both having plane flying banners over our stadiums at points, the 49ers Harbaugh meteoric rise and downfall.

My scope and years of experience is fairly limited, starting around the mid 90s; I never really saw or appreciated the 94-95 49ers season. So relatively speaking, my years for the 49ers have been a struggle minus three great Harbaugh years, and many shared heartbreaks with my brother for the Chiefs. Through the years, lurking on these forums have gotten me through some tough times and many threads including gblowfish's "Ten Things About..." is always a Monday must read for me.

I understand how huge this is for the 49ers but more importantly the Chiefs. It's a rare moment where I'm obviously going to root for my Niners, but I'm going to sit back, relax and truly enjoy that one of us is going to win a damn Championship. I'm really happy for the Chiefs fanbase, can't think of really any others who truly deserve this, and possibly winning one for Andy Reid.

Alright, I'll stop the ski poling and prepare for tree fire and antifreeze chugging.

Good luck ya'll it's gonna be one helluva game.

TL, DR: Two teams left, one is mine the other is yours, wow much SB.
[Reply]
Bwana 07:13 AM 01-24-2020
Long time no see, welcome back.
[Reply]
mlyonsd 08:10 AM 01-24-2020
Ok this guy checks out. He's legit.
[Reply]
Lzen 08:12 AM 01-24-2020
TLDR
[Reply]
redfan 08:24 AM 01-24-2020
What a nostalgic, well thought out post. Welcome, and thank you for posting.
Feel free to help yourself to an all-you-can-eat bag 'o dicks buffet, and I hope the 9ers lose.
Here's to a Chiefs victory, Cheers!! :-)
[Reply]
Shiver Me Timbers 11:28 AM 01-24-2020
When the lights go down in the Shi*y
and the sun sets on the bay............
Please take a flashlight with you and watch where you step
[Reply]
digger 12:04 PM 01-24-2020
Just remember this is the game where fans for all over started saying, "But for Patrick Mahomes II, (insert Team name here) would have won the Super Bowl."
[Reply]
SanDiego49er 03:26 PM 01-24-2020
Originally Posted by Pawnmower:
Both parents from KC. All 4 grandparents...most cousins, aunts uncles etc. Parents moved to bay area b4 I was born. Dad hugest chiefs fan of all time. Enjoyed football with my dad and got to know the chiefs. Chiefs love helps me stay connected to my family.

Pawnmower feels lonely with no family

Pawnmower loves KC

Pawnmower spent time back in KC with family and it felt like home
I could understand that. A lot of times people have a family connection as the reason why they like the team they cheer for. That's cool and very understandable.
[Reply]
Radar Chief 04:58 PM 01-24-2020
Originally Posted by TinyEvel:
You seem nice.
Pretty sure we can break him.
[Reply]
backinblack 10:59 PM 01-24-2020
Originally Posted by Pawnmower:
Most of the Raider fans I talk to ( I live here in the Bay Area) will be rooting for KC. The desire to see SF lose outweighs their KC hate. It's pretty interesting
This right here. Haven't lived in the Bay in nearly 25 years(originally from San Jose) and haven't even set foot in the area since 2005(and probably never will again), but fuck the fucking Niners. There's no conflicting thought in my mind for this game, Chiefs are the Raiders rivals but the Niners and their fans are so much worse, they are the Cowboys in a different color scheme. Fuck the Niners and their fans, hope you get destroyed. Don't even care that the geographical rivalry will fade with us moving to Vegas, I'll forever hold contempt in my heart for the Whiners.
[Reply]
JohnnyHammersticks 08:44 AM 01-25-2020
Originally Posted by backinblack:
This right here. Haven't lived in the Bay in nearly 25 years(originally from San Jose) and haven't even set foot in the area since 2005(and probably never will again), but fuck the fucking Niners. There's no conflicting thought in my mind for this game, Chiefs are the Raiders rivals but the Niners and their fans are so much worse, they are the Cowboys in a different color scheme. Fuck the Niners and their fans, hope you get destroyed. Don't even care that the geographical rivalry will fade with us moving to Vegas, I'll forever hold contempt in my heart for the Whiners.
So far, 2020 has been a year of shocking surprises.

The Chiefs are in the Super Bowl for the first time in 50 years, and a Faider fan just typed a coherent paragraph for the first time ever. :-)
[Reply]
FlaChief58 08:56 AM 01-25-2020
I'm just shittin on the dock of the bay, watching the needles float away...
[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up