ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 50 of 62
« First < 404647484950 5152535460 > Last »
Media Center>Science Fiction and Fantasy Books Only Thread
Buck 07:05 PM 03-20-2012
There is a great thread in the lounge about Books in general, but to be honest, all I really want to read is Sci-Fi (including post-apocalyptic), and Fantasy.

In this OP I will compile every poster's top 3 Fantasy/SciFi suggestions if they give me them. I will try to keep the posters in alphabetical order in case you want to find someone's suggestions easier.

CP POSTER SUGGESTIONS

Baby Lee
1. Fritz Lieber's Swords Against series.
2. George R.R. Martin's SoIaF series [no brainer that will probably make tons of other lists]
3. Umberto Eco, Foucalt's Pendulum [a little more obscure/forgotten to make up for GRRM]

Frosty
1.Raymond Feist - Riftwar Saga
2.Terry Brooks - Shannara series (starting with the Knight of the Word books)
3.Tad Williams - Memory, Sorrow and Thorn

Huffmeister
(1) Dune - Frank Herbert
(2) The Stand - Stephen King (1000+ page unabridged)
(3) Starship Troopers - Robert A. Heinlein (checkout the song by Yes, too. lots of great bass)

Jawshco
1. "Book of the Long Sun" by Gene Wolfe
2. "Paradise War" by Stephen R Lawhead
3. "The Dragonbone Chair" by Tad Williams

listopencil
1. Edgar Rice Burroughs, any series
2. Robert Heinlein, everything he has written in chronological order (but read Starship Troopers first)
3. Doc Smith's Lensman series

vailpass
1. The Science Fiction Hall of Fame Volume 1, 2A & 2B books are a gold mine for sampling the evolution of sci-fi. (below)
2.The Nebula Awards and Hugo Awards (selected yearly, pick a year)
3. Years Best SF Annual publication, pick any volume from 1 to the current volume 17
See Post 142
[Reply]
vailpass 03:07 PM 11-24-2019
Originally Posted by Frosty:
Amazon is having a sale today only (11/24) on the Kindle version of all books in The Expanse series. I still needed book 7, so it's nice to be able to fill that in on the cheap.
Thanks, I bought the first 4 for my kindle. Do the kindle versions of those books really sell for the prices they are listing when they aren't on sale?
[Reply]
Frosty 03:21 PM 11-24-2019
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Thanks, I bought the first 4 for my kindle. Do the kindle versions of those books really sell for the prices they are listing when they aren't on sale?
I bought book 2 on Aug 7 for $9.99. IIRC, most were around that price with the last two being $13.99, so this is a pretty nice sale.
[Reply]
vailpass 03:57 PM 11-24-2019
I bought book 2 on Aug 7 for $9.99. IIRC, most were around that price with the last two being $13.99, so this is a pretty nice sale.
Wow that is a good sale. Wish I knew if I'm going to like the series enough to buy them all:-)
[Reply]
Frosty 04:41 PM 11-24-2019
Wow that is a good sale. Wish I knew if I'm going to like the series enough to buy them all:-)
Did you like the TV series? The books (so far, I've only read the first 3) were even better. And most people say it doesn't drop off later on.
[Reply]
vailpass 05:00 PM 11-24-2019
Did you like the TV series? The books (so far, I've only read the first 3) were even better. And most people say it doesn't drop off later on.
Didn't watch the series. At those prices it's worth just buying them on your recommendation. The real question is whether I'll adapt to reading on a Kindle such that I'd read them on it.
[Reply]
Mennonite 09:40 PM 11-26-2019
Been reading some Robert E. Howard stuff:

The Horror From the Mound
The Black Stone
Worms of the Earth
The Tower of the Elephant
The Phoenix on the Sword
Red Nails

Queen of the Black Coast
Beyond the Black River
The Frost-Giant's Daughter

*The stories I like best in bold
[Reply]
ShiftyEyedWaterboy 07:01 PM 12-28-2019
So I'm finally picking back up. Graduated. Just chilling for a few weeks before I start the job hunt. Finished Mason and Dixon, probably 1b on my all-time list behind The Book of the New Sun, and looking for something else to read. Any suggestions? Anyone read Brian Aldiss? I've heard good things about Helliconia. Jerusalem by Alan Moore?
[Reply]
vailpass 03:04 PM 12-29-2019
Originally Posted by ShiftyEyedWaterboy:
So I'm finally picking back up. Graduated. Just chilling for a few weeks before I start the job hunt. Finished Mason and Dixon, probably 1b on my all-time list behind The Book of the New Sun, and looking for something else to read. Any suggestions? Anyone read Brian Aldiss? I've heard good things about Helliconia. Jerusalem by Alan Moore?
If you liked Mason & Dixon have you thought about braving Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow? I haven't read Aldiss or Moore.

If you are interested in southern fiction Oral History by Lee Smith is my favorite read of that genre.

Have you done any of the GoT books? The first ones are good.
[Reply]
ShiftyEyedWaterboy 07:53 PM 01-01-2020
If you liked Mason & Dixon have you thought about braving Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow? I haven't read Aldiss or Moore.

If you are interested in southern fiction Oral History by Lee Smith is my favorite read of that genre.

Have you done any of the GoT books? The first ones are good.
I've thought about diving into Gravity's Rainbow but I think I want to hold off a little first. I have read GoT. Trying to forget they exist until the series is, maybe, finished. Oral History sounds interesting.

I've heard good things about John Crowley. Little, Big and Engine Summer, especially. Might pick up those next.
[Reply]
Mennonite 12:28 PM 01-09-2020
Just starting The Madness Season by C.S. Friedman.
[Reply]
TipRoast 04:18 PM 01-10-2020
Originally Posted by ShiftyEyedWaterboy:
I've thought about diving into Gravity's Rainbow but I think I want to hold off a little first. I have read GoT. Trying to forget they exist until the series is, maybe, finished. Oral History sounds interesting.

I've heard good things about John Crowley. Little, Big and Engine Summer, especially. Might pick up those next.
The Crowley books are very good.

Gravity's Rainbow, for me, was a slog. Except for the Disgusting English Candy Drill.

[Reply]
NewChief 11:44 PM 01-10-2020
I like Pynchon. I think Against the Day is more enjoyable than GR.
[Reply]
ShiftyEyedWaterboy 03:55 PM 01-11-2020
Originally Posted by TipRoast:
The Crowley books are very good.

Gravity's Rainbow, for me, was a slog. Except for the Disgusting English Candy Drill.
I decided to go with I, Claudius by Graves but I've got Crowley lined up soon. Think I'm gonna finish Malazan first, though.

Originally Posted by NewChief:
I like Pynchon. I think Against the Day is more enjoyable than GR.
M&D really blew me away. I've heard good things about Against the Day.
[Reply]
Frosty 09:39 AM 03-05-2020
If you like classic fantasy, I highly recommend Alec Hutson's The Reveling series, which starts with "The Crimson Queen". It's more old school fantasy with a few twists and an interesting magic system.

Another series that I've really enjoyed is M. D. Presley's Sol's Harvest series. It has a very unique magic system and the MC is a bit of an antihero but it is a very engrossing read. Unfortunately, I'm still waiting on the last book to come out but it sounds like it should be sometime this year.
[Reply]
Beef Supreme 10:56 AM 03-05-2020
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
Just starting The Madness Season by C.S. Friedman.
I read a C.S. Friedman book back in the 80s called "In Conquest Born", and thought it was pretty awesome. So I started reading another one of her books, can't remember which one, but I couldn't really get into it.
[Reply]
Page 50 of 62
« First < 404647484950 5152535460 > Last »
Up